Socialwork4god

Nigerian Wedding

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello, I was advised to ask here about Nigerian Wedding laws and requirements being that I'm an American Citizen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As far as what? Nigerian is like getting married here. You go to registry getting a marriage license to get married. You show up on your date to marry and you get married. You get marriage certificate. You have to bot be free to marry just like here. No different. Why are you asking us doesn't your fiance' know the laws to get married,. he would know better than we would.

The embassy wants to see a registry marriage certificate there are many registries through Nigeria. The most Popular of course is Ikoyi in Lagos band there's Abuja but many have married all over Nigeria.

Your fiance can start the process 21 days in advance of the day you want to wed by registering at the registry of your choice. Some need your BC, Passport info or a photocopy, Passport pic. every registry is different. You have to take gifts to registry, wines, juices, cookies, drinks, etc, prices differ also for ceremony. Your fiance' should start inquiring and do not mention he is marrying an American.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I stayed with my Nigerian husband in Enugu, Nigeria for the month of June, and we were married there on June 12th. Because of the somewhat chaotic state of the Nigerian government, I don't think there is a totally uniform process of how to get things done, but I can give you some incite as to how we did things.

We stayed in Enugu State and went through court there. We had arranged the court date a month and a half ahead of time and secured it with a payment of $200. They required passport information/addresses/family information (parents names/addresses/occupations). A few days prior to the legal ceremony we went to the court to verify and finalize information (names/addresses/witnesses/etc.), get our appointment time for the actual day, complete payment (with an additional $200), and deliver malt and wine. On the day of the wedding we arrived at the court early with our witnesses (make sure to have a photographer there for legal Nigerian court records and for USCIS). The next day we brought back hard copy pictures for the court to keep on file.

We are only on the I-130 stage of our process (as we began filing after the marriage), but it looks like you've gone a different route in filing as an engaged couple. Best of luck! One thing I can specifically note as being useful so far is this Nigerian Reciprocity Schedule http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/NI.html that and Google will find you most document related answers (as to how to obtain them in Nigeria).

Edited by Chief Mrs. Edeh

USCIS

07/10/2015: I-130 Mailed

07/15/2015: NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

10/16/2015: Case Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

12/01/2015: NOA2 (139 Days from NOA1)

NVC

12/11/2015: NVC Received

12/23/2015: NVC Case Number and IIN Assigned

12/24/2015: DS-261 Submitted

12/24/2015: AOS Fee Available and Paid (In Process)

12/31/2015: IV Application Fee Available and Paid (In Process)

12/31/2015: Hardcopy NVC Welcome Letter Arrived

01/04/2015: AOS Fee Paid (Complete)

01/05/2016: IV Application Fee Paid (Complete)

01/06/2016: DS-260 Available

01/16/2016: DS-260 Submitted

01/29/2016: AOS and IV Package Mailed (w/out South African Police Clearance)

02/03/2016: AOS and IV Package Scanned

02/18/2016: South African Police Clearance Mailed

02/19/2016: South African Police Clearance Scanned

03/22/2016: Case Complete

03/29/2016: Interview Date Scheduled

Embassy

05/16/2016: Interviewed and APPROVED! (306 Days from NOA1)

05/25/2016: Visa Pickup

06/01/2016: Leave Nigeria

06/02/2016: Arrive in US

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

My husband and I married at the Registry in Lagos, on Victoria Island. He had arranged everything for us. We paid the fee that day, also they asked for a "donation". Everyone in the family and our friends contributed. It all went to them. I didn't know what to expect. We had to have passports and fill a form as well. We came away with the official marriage certificate, and 2 "booklets"... kinda looks like a passport... with all of our personal info and family info in it.

I would suggest making sure you have a copy of the marriage certificate made while you are there so you can use it here. It was a fabulous wedding. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Timeline

I noticed you have filed for a K1 visa. What stage are you in? Have you already had your interview? My husband and I married after our K1 was denied. Is that the situation you are in? I am asking because if you are still in the K1 process and you get married it changes everything. You will have to stop the K1 and file CR-1 (for spouses). I think Im correct, but if I'm wrong one of the other members can correct me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm aware that the fiancé visa is different then the spousal visa. I previously filed the k1 but have not heard anything yet. I fear it will be denied for reasons that most people here know. So, I'm going to visit my fiancé in October and plan to spend some time with him. We discussed getting married while I was there but, have decided not to. But, when I return home we will be withdrawing our previous petition and re-filing. thank you for your concern and help though.

I noticed you have filed for a K1 visa. What stage are you in? Have you already had your interview? My husband and I married after our K1 was denied. Is that the situation you are in? I am asking because if you are still in the K1 process and you get married it changes everything. You will have to stop the K1 and file CR-1 (for spouses). I think Im correct, but if I'm wrong one of the other members can correct me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.