XXXYYYZZZ

Stepdaughter wants to immigrate

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

The birth certificate contains false and fraudulent information. If you or your wife try to use this birth certificate to obtain an immigration benefit, then the petitioner would be committing immigration fraud for knowingly submitting a legal document containing false information.

Her niece is neither her daughter or adopted daughter. She is your wife's niece with a fraudulent birth certificate.

The niece needs to correct her birth certificate.

Best of luck

Timeline

My wife is a USC and has been for 4 years. I fail to see how my wife could be charged with fraud and deportation based on an application for another individual. See's not misrepresenting her own status.

Your wife would sign the I-130 and other immigration documents under penalties of perjury. She would knowing submit a legal document that contains false information. How is she not misrepresenting her niece as her own biological child? Your wife would sign the petition; not the niece That's how your wife could be dinged for fraud. As a U.S. citizen, your wife can't be deported.

You really need to consider the consequences of proving false information to the U.S. Government under penalties of perjury.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

How much time does she have left on her visa? I believe that she needs to have at least 60 days left to change status. As well, she needs to show why she should study in the USA and not at home in Vietnam. One could argue a better education. The one thing that I'm unsure of is overcoming her ties to the USA showing that she'd return home especially seeing as she has a parent and step parent here.

There is no issue there. She's got 4 more months on her entry stamp. I see what your saying about her ties with regards to the F1. I'd been researching the F1 for a few days and already started down that route and saw the ties as an issue. That's when I thought why couldn't I file an AOS. I could then send her to public and get some use out of my property tax that I've paid for the last 20 years, get the write off on my tax return and put her in my employers college assistance program and my health insurance plan. It would save me tens of thousands of dollars to do an AOS. Yes I love my step daughter but I'll save some cash if I can.

You submit the paperwork and go to the interview. If you're truthful at the interview about the facts of the case and you don't qualify all the CO can do is deny you or request for further information to convince the CO of relation/intentions. It's not misrepresentation if you don't lie. I never seen anywhere that it's a requirement that a parent's child has to be biological relation to immigrate. Most gay and lesbian couples don't have biological children and they can now immigrate.

The only issue I see is my wife's daughter is not listed when she immigrated 6 years ago. Is it a legal requirement to list children when immigrating if they are not immigrating with you. I don't know. As that application was only for the wife's case I don't see how that's fraud. My company has an immigration/visa services department that I talked to and was told the same thing.

I'll call USCIS on Monday and ask.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've read a similar situation. The lady was denied based on a 221g ground for something like child/human trafficking. She and her "child" (niece in real life) were chasing K1 and K2 visas.

Just something to ponder upon.

Timeline

There is no issue there. She's got 4 more months on her entry stamp. I see what your saying about her ties with regards to the F1. I'd been researching the F1 for a few days and already started down that route and saw the ties as an issue. That's when I thought why couldn't I file an AOS. I could then send her to public and get some use out of my property tax that I've paid for the last 20 years, get the write off on my tax return and put her in my employers college assistance program and my health insurance plan. It would save me tens of thousands of dollars to do an AOS. Yes I love my step daughter but I'll save some cash if I can.

You submit the paperwork and go to the interview. If you're truthful at the interview about the facts of the case and you don't qualify all the CO can do is deny you or request for further information to convince the CO of relation/intentions. It's not misrepresentation if you don't lie. I never seen anywhere that it's a requirement that a parent's child has to be biological relation to immigrate. Most gay and lesbian couples don't have biological children and they can now immigrate.

The only issue I see is my wife's daughter is not listed when she immigrated 6 years ago. Is it a legal requirement to list children when immigrating if they are not immigrating with you. I don't know. As that application was only for the wife's case I don't see how that's fraud. My company has an immigration/visa services department that I talked to and was told the same thing.

I'll call USCIS on Monday and ask.

Dude,

How is it not fraud to have a birth certificate containing false information?

How is it not fraud to knowing submit a legal document containing false information?

Will you honestly tell the CO that the birth certificate contain false information?

Do you honestly believe that it's not immigration fraud to send in documents containing false information?

On what basis would you wife petition for her niece? Based on a birth certificate containing false information?

So if the initial fraud in Vietnam is accepted by the authority there because they got false information, then it's okay to use that fraudulent document to get to the US? Do you know how many people try to send in fraudulent documents obtained from their governments? It's okay then?

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Applying to adjust status to an F1 student is not the same as getting an F1 student visa.

I never said that.

How Can I Change My Nonimmigrant Status to Become a Student If I Am Already in the United States?

To change your Nonimmigrant Status you first must apply to study at a SEVP certified school in the United States*. Once you contact the school that you are interested in attending, you should be notified immediately if the school accepts foreign national students. If you are accepted, the school should send you USCIS Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status - for Academic and Language Students). You must submit this form and a USCIS Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) to the USCIS. You must also prove that you have the financial resources required for your education and stay in the United States.

*Please be aware that if you have been admitted as a B-1 (Temporary Visitor for Business) or B-2 (Temporary Visitor for Pleasure) visa holder, you may not begin your program studies until your application for these studies is approved.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Thread closed to additional discussion under the below quoted provision of the TOS. Do not restart this thread.***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

• Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.
Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.