trandy

Can I visit the US as normal after getting a 212a blue slip?

29 posts in this topic

I'm confused, why weren't you able to get vaccinated when you went to your medical? And why can't you get the vaccinations now, after the fact?

I think he's filing a waiver to avoid having to get a few of the vaccines

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I think he's filing a waiver to avoid having to get a few of the vaccines

I see, in terms of either religious or personal beliefs?

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Is there a medical reason that you didn't want to get the vaccines? Just object to vaccines overall?

But yes, this is what happens when you use waivers. They have a system set up that's pretty cut and dry (and simple) tbqh, if you want to avoid doing things that are considered basic requirements, expect things to go wrong or take much longer than expected.

So I get my denial, no big deal, was expected.

Denials are a big deal, a denial is a denial in the eyes of the government. Planning to go into a denial is shooting yourself in the foot.

Either way, it seems that you won't be traveling to the US any time soon. First off they're going to see you were denied a spousal visa, so now they're probably going to scrutinize you coming into the country in general. Your best chance is a B2, but they could easily assume you're just coming to stay in America, in which they'd prolly just deny that too. You would have to prove with all your might that you're going to your country, but still so soonish after a denial, it's hard to see it happen.

Imo, focus on getting your waiver done or get the shots. The quicker either gets done, the less time you'll have to wait.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Your wife should look into visiting you, or you should look into meeting in a 3rd country. You are currently inadmissable to the US, and a B2 would be challenging.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I'm due to send my waiver off any day now (just waiting on the payment to arrive because you have to pay for the waiver on a check/cheque drawn on a US bank). So, in terms of proving that I'm not just going to go over there and work cash in hand in a soup kitchen for a dollar an hour, surely the fact that I've got an I-601 waiver pending means that I'm not just in a place of - oh well, I guess I'm denied entry then, suppose I'll sneak through anyway.

If they were to say "why are you coming here when you've had a visa denial" I can say that the visa is still in process. And it's not at outright refusal, that's what the consulate officer told me, it's more of a contingent denial.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Am I the only one who can already see this going horribly wrong?

Idk I wouldn`t risk an actual ban and being unable to move to live with my partner in the long run, but hey that`s just me.

If they say you can`t go, don`t go unless you`re willing to risk a lot worse.

Get the shots, apply for a B2 or have your wife visit you.

Trying to sneak through will most likely get you in bigger trouble than you are in right now

event.png
United_States.gif:wub:Our Journey :wub:Belgium.gif

K1
Sent I-129F: June 9th, 2015
Received at Texas Lockbox: June 11th. Sent to CSC!
NOA1: (NOA1 date June 15th 2015) Hardcopy arrived June 20th 2015
NOA2: July 23rd! Hardcopy arrived July 27th 2015
Left NVC in transit to Brussels Embassy: August 17th 2015
Received at Brussels Embassy: August 21st, 2015
Package 3 sent: August 25th, 2015
Package 3 reveived: August 26th, 2015
Checklist sent back: August 27th, 2015
Medical Appointment in Antwerp: August 27th, 2015 and August 31st, 2015
Received Package 4: September 11th, 2015
Interview: September 17th, 2015 : APPROVED!!!
POE: October 25th, 3.55pm 2015 at Washington Dulles Airport.
Wedding Courthouse: November 24th, 2015. (L)
Wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family US: April 2nd 2016 (L)
Wedding ceremony and reception for friends and family Belgium: October 8th 2016 (L)

AoS

Filed for AoS: June 17th 2016

Package arrived: June 20th 2016 8.05 AM

Check Cashed: June 25th 2016

Texts and e-mails NOA1: June 28th, 10.30 PM

Hardcopy NOA1`s: July 2nd

Biometrics letter: July 8th.

Biometrics appointment: July 20th, 11 AM, Charlotte, NC

Early walk-in Biometrics: July 14th!

Approved: 2016/10/28 (no interview)

Greencard received: November 5th 2016. (Wrong country of birth: USA)

RoC

Filed: 10/22/2018

Package arrived: 10/23 2:40PM

Package picked up: 10/24/2018 3:54AM.

NOA1: 10/26/2018

Text and e-mail: 10/29/2018

Check cashed: 10/30/2018

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

It doesn't matter what his objections are; the U.S. Government has a waiver for it.

The relevant fact is that he has no means to enter the U.S. at this time; no visa and no VWP. The airline will not let him board. If the airline makes the mistake of letting him board, he will not get pas CBP.

Until the OP gets a visa or ESTA reinstated, he's SOL.

Best of luck OP. Hope you get the waiver approved quickly.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

NOTE: My flight goes to Vancouver so I'm fine to fly. I might have to stay in Vancouver while my wife visits me.

Update on the specifics of the ineligibility:

It (blue slip) says I'm ineligible under section 212a > 1 > a > 2...

1 = health related grounds

subsection a = In general. Any alien...

subseciton 2 = (ii) except as provided in subparagraph ©, seeks admission as an immigrant, or who seeks adjustment of status to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, and who has failed to present documentation of having received vaccination against vaccine-preventable diseases, which shall include at least the following diseases: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus and diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza type B and hepatitis B, and any other vaccinations against vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices,

I've highlighted the important bit there. So, seeing as vaccinations aren't a requirement of a visitor visa, there is a small chance I might be allowed to visit, assuming ESTA realise that.

The exception being that such specifics don't mean squat and if you're denied a visa for any reason they look at you like a worthless *&^# - not sure if that's the case. As if someone would jeopardise their marriage by trying to just cross the border and stay there. You'd get found out eventually and deported for eternity.

Edited by trandy

Imo this is the important part:

If a consular officer finds you are not eligible to receive a visa under U.S. law, your visa application will be denied (refused), and you will be provided a reason for the denial. There are many reasons a visa applicant could be found ineligible for a visa. These reasons, called ineligibilities, are listed in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and other immigration laws. Some ineligibilities can be overcome, either by you, the visa applicant, or the U.S. petitioner, in certain immigrant visa cases. Other ineligibilities are permanent. This means that every time you apply for a visa, you will be found ineligible under the same section of law, unless a waiver of that ineligibility is authorized by the Department of Homeland Security. Learn about waivers of ineligibility.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/denials.html

So it looks like you'll be considered ineligible until you get your waiver and have it approved.

But this part on the same page also looks like bad news:

After being found ineligible for a visa, you may reapply in the future. If you reapply for a visa after being found ineligible, with the exception of 221(g) refusals, you must submit a new visa application and pay the visa application fee again. If you were found ineligible under section 214(b) of the INA, you should be able to present evidence of significant changes in circumstances since your last application. See more information below under INA section 214(b).

Are ya'll going to reapply for spousal? According to the above only 221g's and 214b's are omit from having to do so. Seems like ya'll will have to reapply and include the waiver at the interview/new medical.

I'd talk to your lawyer. For some reason I think we all forgot you had one since you're asking us questions. We generally don't use lawyers since most of us do the process ourselves, but about 99% of us err on the side of extreme caution.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Timeline

The exception being that such specifics don't mean squat and if you're denied a visa for any reason they look at you like a worthless *&^# - not sure if that's the case. As if someone would jeopardise their marriage by trying to just cross the border and stay there. You'd get found out eventually and deported for eternity.

Okay so this statement here is the problem. Youve mentioned this several times. Things along the lines of why would I come to the US when I have all this paperwork going on- it makes no sense. The part you are missing and its a very important part- is IF you were to enter the US, you would not be found out and eventually deported.

You could theoretically apply to adjust your status in the US and wait out the process there with your wife instead of overseas. Because you are looking at an additional delay of the waiver- it looks more likely that you will attempt to do such, not less likely.

So even if there is a loophole that allows your specific medical denial to still obtain a visitor visa- it is up to their discretion on whether you are going to use it as intended (a visits and then return home to wait out the paperwork) or misuse it (cross in and adjust status in the US rather then going home to wait it out).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well step one would be to update or redo ESTA. Not sure this will make much difference, probably a refusal.

Not sure how long it would take to apply for a B2, there are no jab requirements but seems a bit of an ask.

Sounds a balance with the jabs,person ally I would just get her done

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have options, many do not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.