trandy

Can I visit the US as normal after getting a 212a blue slip?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I just got my blue slip, ineligible under 212a.

It says: As a result of this ineligibility you cannot travel to the United States. For US immigration law purposes, this refusal constitutes a denail of visa. You will be required to declare the refusal if you register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or apply for a US visa in the future.

I have a flight to the US booked in a little over 2 weeks time. Do I need to approach a visit differently because of this? Or can I visit as normal?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

"As a result of this ineligibility you cannot travel to the United States" Not sure what part of this is not clear.

Hi

"You will be required to declare the refusal if you register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or apply for a US visa in the future."

What I understand is that right now you can't travel, but if you want to you need to register the refusal under ESTA or apply for a tourist visa.

Read about the tourist visa and its appointments and delivery time in your country. In Mexico I got my tourist visa after a week in 2014. A friend got hers after two weeks this year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I just got my blue slip, ineligible under 212a.

It says: As a result of this ineligibility you cannot travel to the United States. For US immigration law purposes, this refusal constitutes a denail of visa. You will be required to declare the refusal if you register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or apply for a US visa in the future.

I have a flight to the US booked in a little over 2 weeks time. Do I need to approach a visit differently because of this? Or can I visit as normal?

I doubt very seriously you will be traveling to US in 2 weeks. You have to now apply for a B2 Visa since you are not eligible for a ESTA. It seems even a B2 Visa you are not eligible. hmmmm Good luck.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You say you 'just' got the 212a?

Why did you receive a 212? As in - under what circumstances did you get it?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Just out of interest, and to clarify this... I can travel freely to the US before my interview, but because I was down a couple of vaccinations and can't emigrate yet, I now can't visit either? at least not without some totally different visa? Surely that doesn't make sense.

And surely when the folks at ESTA process my file, they'll see that some record somewhere will have me down NOT as a person with criminal background, but as someone who doesn't fulfil the vaccination requirements and have some leniency? It just doesn't make sense.

TLDR: is it circumstantial and not just one denail fits all?

Edited by trandy

Filed: Timeline

The 212(a) ineligibility is undoubtedly under 212(a)(1) which is a medical ineligibility. It applies to any and all entries into the US, whether vaccinations were a part of the requirements for that specific visa or ESTA or not. The ineligibiity will be part of the electronic information that the immigration officer will pull up at the port of entry and he/she will have to deny you entry. Plus, even if there were a little latitude (which there isn't, really), they could easily view your attempted entry so soon after the denial as an attempt to circumvent the denial and get into the US where you will stay -- not saying that's your intent, it's just how it looks to the immigration officer.

Timeline

I just don't even know what to do now. Will I just not see my wife at all until the waiver goes through up to a year from now? I already haven't seen her for 6 months. I mean, am I indefinitely done for US visits now?

Filed: Timeline

Is there a reason you can't just get the vaccinations? Once yo do, the panel physician will update the Embassy and the IV can be issued. If there is a reason and you are applying for a waiver (which is hard to get for vaccinations unless there is a medical contraindication -- which the panel physician should have documented, if so), yes, it is likely that you won't be approved for travel to the US until the waiver is granted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am applying for a waiver, yes. My attorney has yet to have a client be denied.

Okay what Visa exactly are you applying for and what visa was denied? This is getting confusing. You don;t need vaccinations for visitor Visa so not sure what it is you need a waiver for.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

The Visa is the IR1 and I was denied because of the medical, medical ineligibility I think it's known as. I'm down a few vaccines, I had NO idea that the process would be so gruelling before deciding to go ahead with the vaccine waiver. But I'd already hired the attorney and filled everything out. Not that I'd have changed my mind but I'm saying that previous to all these massive delays I was just going about my business with the I-601.

So I get my denial, no big deal, was expected. And so now I'm reading on the blue form that I have to declare this denial with ESTA.

What's odd is that it doesn't ask you WHAT you were denied for. So, my guess (naive probably) is that they look up my info and see that my visit should not be contingent upon being vaccinated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

The Visa is the IR1 and I was denied because of the medical, medical ineligibility I think it's known as. I'm down a few vaccines, I had NO idea that the process would be so gruelling before deciding to go ahead with the vaccine waiver. But I'd already hired the attorney and filled everything out. Not that I'd have changed my mind but I'm saying that previous to all these massive delays I was just going about my business with the I-601.

So I get my denial, no big deal, was expected. And so now I'm reading on the blue form that I have to declare this denial with ESTA.

What's odd is that it doesn't ask you WHAT you were denied for. So, my guess (naive probably) is that they look up my info and see that my visit should not be contingent upon being vaccinated.

I'm confused, why weren't you able to get vaccinated when you went to your medical? And why can't you get the vaccinations now, after the fact?

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.