35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would not waste the $160.00 on a tourist visa application. You will be denied and they will keep your money. Have him travel to Philippines to meet you. If he is out of work, see if he can borrow some money and maybe stay with you a while, so you can get to know each other. I am sure you can find a cheap pension house for him to stay in.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You require a SSN in order to apply for a marriage license in Texas (I live, and got married, in TX).

Not true. A friend of mine married in Texas without a SSN. He just had to provide his foreign passport

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not true. A friend of mine married in Texas without a SSN. He just had to provide his foreign passport

When I went to apply for the license without the SSN, I was sent home. We had to go back after I received the SSN.

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/texas/

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

When I went to apply for the license without the SSN, I was sent home. We had to go back after I received the SSN.

It can be done, perhaps the different counties have different rules?

http://www.dallascounty.org/department/countyclerk/marriage-license.php

Filed: Timeline

You only need to meet one time. I went to Philippines only once for about 2 weeks to meet my wife before I filed my petition. I went back a second time for her visa interview. There was no issue at all.

The only things your fiancé needs from you, is a signed letter of intent, signed G-325A biographical form, and a 2x2 picture of you. He will also need to keep all receipts, boarding passes, tickets, etc. as well as take a lot of pictures when he goes to visit you. He can use this as evidence of meeting you. The largest cost right now, besides his plane ticket and travel money, will be the petition fee. The fee is $340 to file.

Your chances of getting the K-1 visa are the same whether or not you have kids. As long as your fiancé makes at least 125% of the federal poverty guidelines for his household size, you will be OK. Also assuming your kids will be coming with, his household size would be at least 4: him, you, your 2 kids. For this, he needs to make at least $30, 312. So no he doesn't need a high paying job at all.

I don't really plan to take the kids with me just yet. I kinda wanna wait til im settled and get a job and then get them. is that possible? and my fiance is not a college graduate, so i'm thinking he will have a hard time finding a job that pays that much annually.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It can be done, perhaps the different counties have different rules?

http://www.dallascounty.org/department/countyclerk/marriage-license.php

Hmmm, could be, you never know here in TX. Better to be safe than sorry.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

You have to meet him in person first before thinking about the moving here part. It is hard enough to get a visa there in the Philippines and for you to meet him here why not tell him to travel over there spend some time to know each other, then keep all the receipts of the things he buys for you and vice versa, emails between you guys, everything that concerns about you two. If you bought are looking for a job right now, that will be a problem since you guys are not engaged yet right? so the thing is if you applied for a tourist visa to come here you might be denied since you can not provide the Consul at the US embassy, in Manila that you have ties there in the Philippines and you will come back after your trip since a job is big factor for strong ties to get a tourist visa, which you don't have at the moment a denial will follow suit. Anyways, some VJers are right let him go there and meet you and then when the time is right you guys can think of applying for a K1 visa and of course an adjustment of Status here and so forth. Good luck on your journey and I hope that you will be together someday do not rush things because everything happens for a reason (my motto). So keep your faith in your love and if it is for you no matter what happens it will happen.

Filed: Timeline

You have to meet him in person first before thinking about the moving here part. It is hard enough to get a visa there in the Philippines and for you to meet him here why not tell him to travel over there spend some time to know each other, then keep all the receipts of the things he buys for you and vice versa, emails between you guys, everything that concerns about you two. If you bought are looking for a job right now, that will be a problem since you guys are not engaged yet right? so the thing is if you applied for a tourist visa to come here you might be denied since you can not provide the Consul at the US embassy, in Manila that you have ties there in the Philippines and you will come back after your trip since a job is big factor for strong ties to get a tourist visa, which you don't have at the moment a denial will follow suit. Anyways, some VJers are right let him go there and meet you and then when the time is right you guys can think of applying for a K1 visa and of course an adjustment of Status here and so forth. Good luck on your journey and I hope that you will be together someday do not rush things because everything happens for a reason (my motto). So keep your faith in your love and if it is for you no matter what happens it will happen.

yea, i do think him visiting me is the best route to take. he does have some money saved up for our meeting he just needs to save up some more then hopefully we can spend some time together in the near future. and thank you so much :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This evokes a memory. When we went to apply, I was asked for my SSN and to show proof. I had no proof, so I blew home and rooted around for my SSN card. It was nowhere to be found. All that I ran across were some U.S. savings bonds, one of which I took back to the licensing office as my "official government document." The clerkette had to confirm the situation with her bossette, but there was no problem, because it was indeed an official government document. It was a first for them, and quite a relief for us*.

*Actually, a relief to me only. Mrs. T-B.-to-be was quite used to even greater run-arounds in Ecuador and was placid throughout this temporary debacle. She wasn't asked for her SSN, as I recall.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You require a SSN in order to apply for a marriage license in Texas (I live, and got married, in TX).

Definitely not true. If you have a social security number you are required to disclose it at the time you obtain the licence, but if you don't have one then you simply inform the clerk of this.

I obtained my marriage license before I had my social security number; it was not an impediment.

In none of the 50 states is it a requirement to have a social security number before you can obtain a marriage license.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

In June of 2014, I met this awesome guy on a blogging site and we started talking and eventually became a couple after a month of talking. I live in the Philippines and he lives in Texas, USA. We are both currently unemployed but he's looking for a job now and I am too. We have been dating for over a year now and I couldn't be happier to have him in my life. We are definitely in love and want to start a life together and I mean, get married and live in Texas.

The thing is we don't know where to start this whole process. We haven't met yet and we plan to in the near future. Should I go visit him or should he go visit me? And we would like to get married in the US. What visa should I apply for? We honestly don't know what to do? Please help us. Thank you!

You getting a tourist visit form the Philippine will be VERY difficult.. near impossible. You two should plan for your fiance in Texas to fly to the Phils and visit you, do a proper proposal, enjoy some time together, then file the I-129F when he gets back to Texas. You need to have met in person to file the the I-129F petition. While he is there he should get you to complete the G-325A, sign a Letter Of Intent to marry within 90 days, and get a 2X2 passport photoe (white background)

Only don't visit tonight, it is raining cats and dogs out there... I got wet coming home! :lol:

Do NOT plan to come visit home and get married without doing it properly with the correct visa. Fraud is a naughty word.

I read somewhere that in order for the k1 visa to be approved we need to prove that we have met more than once. Is that true? Or can he apply for a k1 visa after his first visit?

Yes, I think him visiting me is the best way to go. But what are the things that we need to consider before he applies for a k1 visa? and will that cost a lot money?

Not true, only need to meet once in person to file for the K-1.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Another question, I have 2 kids from a previous relationship but the father and i were never married. Will this affect my chances of getting a k1 visa? Also, does he need to have a high paying job to prove that he can financially support me while i live with him and im jobless?

When filing the petition, your fiance will need to list both of the children on the I-129F.

Income is a vital part of the process once this all reaches the embassy, your fiance will need adequate income to meet the I-864P poverty guidelines for 4 people (unless he has children also, then add those to the count). Being unemployed will make this difficult ;)

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I don't really plan to take the kids with me just yet. I kinda wanna wait til im settled and get a job and then get them. is that possible? and my fiance is not a college graduate, so i'm thinking he will have a hard time finding a job that pays that much annually.

You have up to a year after your visa is issued for your children to be issued a visa under the K-2 TO FOLLOW. If you go beyond the year you will have to petition each of them for an immigrant visa.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.