35 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

In June of 2014, I met this awesome guy on a blogging site and we started talking and eventually became a couple after a month of talking. I live in the Philippines and he lives in Texas, USA. We are both currently unemployed but he's looking for a job now and I am too. We have been dating for over a year now and I couldn't be happier to have him in my life. We are definitely in love and want to start a life together and I mean, get married and live in Texas.

The thing is we don't know where to start this whole process. We haven't met yet and we plan to in the near future. Should I go visit him or should he go visit me? And we would like to get married in the US. What visa should I apply for? We honestly don't know what to do? Please help us. Thank you!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You need to apply for a Tourist Visa to get married here in Texas, Only cost $160.

If you two ever do meet, then he can apply for a K1 Visa, and if approved you can get married in Texas.

I suggest you two meet first in person and spend some time together, and then consider marriage after that.......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Well, before you can start the visa process you do need to meet. Where that is does not matte,r but it is likely easier for him to travel to you than for you to get a tourist visa to travel to him.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

You need to apply for a Tourist Visa to get married here in Texas, Only cost $160.

If you two ever do meet, then he can apply for a K1 Visa, and if approved you can get married in Texas.

I suggest you two meet first in person and spend some time together, and then consider marriage after that.......

I read somewhere that in order for the k1 visa to be approved we need to prove that we have met more than once. Is that true? Or can he apply for a k1 visa after his first visit?

Well, before you can start the visa process you do need to meet. Where that is does not matte,r but it is likely easier for him to travel to you than for you to get a tourist visa to travel to him.

Yes, I think him visiting me is the best way to go. But what are the things that we need to consider before he applies for a k1 visa? and will that cost a lot money?

Timeline

You can apply after having met once (be sure to have proof- passport stamps, hotel receipts, photos etc), but chances of approval are higher the longer you have spent together (several visits, longer visits), and meeting eachother's family is a good idea too.

We have a Guide here that explains the process: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Yes, the process is costly- there are fees for the petition and visa, for the medical you will need,, for translating documents for travelling to Manila for those things,m and of course travel to the USA. and then in the USA, more paperwork and fees for AOS (Adjustment of Status, to get the greencard), and 3+ months where you cannot work. It also takes time; you are looking at 7+ months from the time you file to interview, and it could easily be a year if you make a mistake and need to correct it/send in more paperwork.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

You can apply after having met once (be sure to have proof- passport stamps, hotel receipts, photos etc), but chances of approval are higher the longer you have spent together (several visits, longer visits), and meeting eachother's family is a good idea too.

We have a Guide here that explains the process: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Yes, the process is costly- there are fees for the petition and visa, for the medical you will need,, for translating documents for travelling to Manila for those things,m and of course travel to the USA. and then in the USA, more paperwork and fees for AOS (Adjustment of Status, to get the greencard), and 3+ months where you cannot work. It also takes time; you are looking at 7+ months from the time you file to interview, and it could easily be a year if you make a mistake and need to correct it/send in more paperwork.

Another question, I have 2 kids from a previous relationship but the father and i were never married. Will this affect my chances of getting a k1 visa? Also, does he need to have a high paying job to prove that he can financially support me while i live with him and im jobless?

Timeline

It won;t affect your chances to get the visa, but it will make it more costly (assuming the kids will come with you).

He needs a decent paying job, but doesn't need to be a CEO of a company or anything. Assuming he has no other dependants (minor kids even if they do not live with him, elderly relatives claimed on tax return), and lives in mainland USA, he would need to make just over $30'000 minimum, or have a co-sponsor who can stand guarantor for you.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

NO. It is not okay to go to the US on a tourist visa with the intent to marry. That is visa fraud.

OP, I suspect the easiest would be for him to go visit you, spend some time together and gather evidence of ongoing relationship (boarding passes, reciepts, photos etc) and then file for a fiance visa (K1). I am not familiar with how hard it is for people from the Philippines to be able to go visit the US otherwise you could come and visit as well. Meeting is one of the requirements for the K1 visa and it's also good for the two of you as well to actually meet in person and spend time with each other.

I read somewhere that in order for the k1 visa to be approved we need to prove that we have met more than once. Is that true? Or can he apply for a k1 visa after his first visit?

Yes, I think him visiting me is the best way to go. But what are the things that we need to consider before he applies for a k1 visa? and will that cost a lot money?

You only need to meet one time. I went to Philippines only once for about 2 weeks to meet my wife before I filed my petition. I went back a second time for her visa interview. There was no issue at all.

The only things your fiancé needs from you, is a signed letter of intent, signed G-325A biographical form, and a 2x2 picture of you. He will also need to keep all receipts, boarding passes, tickets, etc. as well as take a lot of pictures when he goes to visit you. He can use this as evidence of meeting you. The largest cost right now, besides his plane ticket and travel money, will be the petition fee. The fee is $340 to file.

Another question, I have 2 kids from a previous relationship but the father and i were never married. Will this affect my chances of getting a k1 visa? Also, does he need to have a high paying job to prove that he can financially support me while i live with him and im jobless?

Your chances of getting the K-1 visa are the same whether or not you have kids. As long as your fiancé makes at least 125% of the federal poverty guidelines for his household size, you will be OK. Also assuming your kids will be coming with, his household size would be at least 4: him, you, your 2 kids. For this, he needs to make at least $30, 312. So no he doesn't need a high paying job at all.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

NO. It is not okay to go to the US on a tourist visa with the intent to marry. That is visa fraud.

Wrong.

It is perfectly fine to go to the US on a tourist visa with the intent to marry. Nothing wrong with that.

It is not okay to go to the US on a tourist visa with the intent to adjust status after marriage. It is the intent to stay in the US on a tourist visa that is visa fraud.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, you only have to meet once. My wife and I dated online close to 2 years before I made a trip to see her. We decided to rather than meet in the Philippines, to meet in a place we both have never been and make it a nice adventurous vacation! We chose to spend 15 days in Singapore, and had a great time. There's lots to do there, including Universal Studios and it's "Westernized" enough so that your fiance will feel very at home there, and "Asian" enough to give yourself some familiar comforts. :D

Some things you need to consider before filing the K-1 are:

1. He needs at least 1 year of tax returns, or else he'll need a sponsor. That said, The Filipino Consulate in Manila very rarely accepts sponsors.

2. All fees from K-1 to Adjustment of Status costs between $2500.00 - $3000.00, and that is if you "Do It Yourself." It can cost more if you hire a "visa service" like rapidvisa or easyfiancevisa ($800 - $1600) or a Lawyer ($1500 - $3000).

3. Consider saving everything now for your evidence. That means every text, every skype, every email, every receipt, every plane ticket stub, passpport stamp etc.

There is an additional fee for each child. If you plan on bringing both, your fiance must prove he can support a household of 4 by making at least $24,250 annually. Yo be safe, I would have him seek a job that makes $30,000 or more. As I said, the Manila Embassy rarely takes sponsors, so proving this annual income is a must. See here: http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/15poverty.cfm#thresholds Please note that $24,250 is a poverty threshhold for a family of four, and translates to "enough money to live on." So where by $24,250 may be an okay salary to live on in Florida, living in a more expensive region like New Jersey, you would probably be living in the poorest conditions in a bad neighborhood or trailer park.

Edited by Mike-eeh and Odie

Timeline

Wrong.

It is perfectly fine to go to the US on a tourist visa with the intent to marry. Nothing wrong with that.

It is not okay to go to the US on a tourist visa with the intent to adjust status after marriage. It is the intent to stay in the US on a tourist visa that is visa fraud.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

mod penguin.jpg

Hello

I am from Texas, what town is he from? I live near Houston.

Its only been a month, definitely apply for a tourist visa and plan to meet him in person. Or once he has employment, he can save up some money to come visit you. To start a K-1, you have to provide evidence of meeting each other at least one time within a two year period.

8/22/15 Received notice of interview "call in letter" for September 1st 8am

9/01/15 AOS Interview Houston-APPROVED!

9/01/15 Card in production, Welcome notice has been mailed

9/05/15 Welcome Notice Received

9/08/15 Greencard was mailed

9/10/15 GREENCARD RECEIVED!!!!!!!!

ROC

6/2/17 mailed I-751 to csc priority mail

7/1/17 I-751 returned rejected (multiple items)

7/3/17 I-751 mailed again with signature confirmation

7/6/17 second I-751 delivered and signed for by Daniel Manchaca

7/10/17  Check Cashed

7/10/17  NOA

7/22/17  Biometrics letter for 8/2/17

8/02/17 Biometrics appointment DONE

3/05/18 case moved to local office

8/25/18 Extension letter (18 months)

9/29/18 service request submitted

10/06/18 response to service request

10/11/18  approved. No RFE, no interview

10/16/18  approval letter received in the mail

10/19/18 greencard received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Seriously???

most countries want to see you have a job before you can get a visa to travel here

morocco says $18000 in bank account, to pay for travel in US, own an apartment of house in Morocco, and have a job you will return to

even then my gf in Brazil who had family to visit here and her husband and 2 sons at home, is a school teacher, owned her home and only wanted 10 day trip, was denied

I wrote to embassy guaranteed I would pick her up, house and feed her and return her to the airport for travel home and they said NO

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.