Ms Niss

Can i use a husband car?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I'm in Texas and my insurance policy requires me to insure anyone in my household with a driver's license. When my guy gets here and we get his license, I will need to add him or I will violate my insurance policy contract.

There are plenty of things that affect the insurance cost. One big thing is credit. When you get added to his insurance policy, keep your credit good to keep your rates low. It may increase (or it may not) in the beginning, but if you build up good credit (secured credit card, for example) you will probably see the rates decrease.

Thanks to share interesting info with us,

I-751 

December 08, 2015: Sent I-751 to California service center

December 09, 2015: Package Delivered

December 14, 2015: Received NOA1

December 26, 2015: Received Bio Appt Letter

January 07, 2016: Bio Appt

July 18, 2016: Approval Decision Taken

July 21, 2016: Received NOA2                                     

N-400

January 23, 2017: Sent N-400 to Phoenix Lock box

January 24, 2017: Package Delivered

February 03, 2017: Received NOA1

February 10, 2017: Received Bio Appt Letter

February 24, 2017: Bio Appt

March 01, 2017: Inline For Interview

May 30, 2017: Received Interview Letter 

June 29, 2017: Interview (decision cannot be made, have to wait)

August 31,  2017: Decision taken( Found out online the status changed may be it was changed 2d )

September 11, 2017: Received Oath letter.

September 20, 2017: Oath

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm in California state , i think if i get added to the car insurance the car insurance bill may be will goes up because i'm new driver added to the policy, this is what i and husband talked about last time,

Usually if female driver is over age 21 then no rate increase, if male driver is under 25 there is a rate increase.

You can also have limitation put on your policy saying that no one under a certain age will drive your car.

Since you have more than one car you can list the other car as pleasure only (means not driving daily like to and from work) and you can get discount

Most policy if you are living in a household and have a DL then you need to be included on the policy, but you can drive now and car is still covered.

Check with your insurance agent and make sure you are getting good coverage at the lowest cost you can.

Filed: Timeline

I'm not an insurance agent, don't play one on tv nor did I sleep at a motel 6 last night.

We're with Geico in California. I had my wife added to the policy as s non driver even before she got into the USA. Used the documentation as part of petition package and to get married discount.

When she got here there were no changes as she wasn't driving.

When she got her learners permit, they added her as a driver but no rate increase but told us to expect a rate increase, a significant one once she gets her license as a first time driver. I'll be shopping around me thinks.

Guys, for the love of god don't teach your spouse how to drive. It's better to just pay a school. Lower blood pressure and saves marital angst.

Timeline

your husband couldn't answer this question? Or the insurance company? You need to be added to his insurance

Husband never asked the insurance company to added me, i asked him to go to insurance company and see what to do now while i will just use his car, and what to do later while i will have my own car

thank you mimolicious

I-751 

N-400

August 31,  2017: Decision taken( Found out online the status changed may be it was changed 2d )

Thanks.

Timeline

Usually if female driver is over age 21 then no rate increase, if male driver is under 25 there is a rate increase.

You can also have limitation put on your policy saying that no one under a certain age will drive your car.

Since you have more than one car you can list the other car as pleasure only (means not driving daily like to and from work) and you can get discount

Most policy if you are living in a household and have a DL then you need to be included on the policy, but you can drive now and car is still covered.

Check with your insurance agent and make sure you are getting good coverage at the lowest cost you can.

Thank you for the info

I-751 

N-400

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Even if, for whatever reason, you are not "on the policy" of your husband. His insurance still needs to be informed of your existence as a household member (and will likely require him to add you as a named driver or specifically exclude you from the policy, which would entirely prohibit you from driving his car(s) if you go that way).

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Timeline

Even if, for whatever reason, you are not "on the policy" of your husband. His insurance still needs to be informed of your existence as a household member (and will likely require him to add you as a named driver or specifically exclude you from the policy, which would entirely prohibit you from driving his car(s) if you go that way).

Thanks, i had no information about the entire subject, sure my husband he knows,he never been excited to added me to anything, anyway ,the company will be contacted and will see , if the company added me its ok, if not if will have my own car and my own insurance later

I-751 

N-400

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yeah, I lived in Texas also and it is a requirement that others in the household who drive the same vehicle be put on the same policy.

Most laws simply require that any vehicle on the road has an amount of coverage to sufficiently cover any costs should you a) Destroy someone else's car , property, or b) injury another person. Whether or not the , "driver" , is covered only matters between the driver and the insurance company......... it doesn't make a difference for being legal to drive on the road.

To add to this further, some insurance policies do allow to cover "Guest drivers" or other drivers who "do not normally operate the vehicle on a daily basis". I doubt this would apply to you because your a spouse anyways. Most insurance companies include a clause in the fine-print that says (like others suggest), that if someone lives in the same household and operates the vehicle and ends up in a claim. That person ( or the person who signs the insurance contract ) may be responsible for all charges or damages incurred.

To answer the OP question quick and simple:

To drive you need:

1. A drivers license

2. Vehicle insurance on the vehicle being driven

In some states you may need other things like:

1. Registration & taxes

2. General operation inspection

3. Smog (air pollution) inspection

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

As soon as I got my learner's permit my husband added me to the policy. The same thing with my kids when they started driving, the more insured drivers the higher is the rate especially teenage drivers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It seems odd to me that you and your husband wouldn't figure this out together. Cars are insured, not people. You will get added once they find out you have a license automatically but you are suppose to tell them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for your reply , i think is good to go to the insurance company and ask that i will be driving the car same like he does, and what should do, they will tell what to do, like you said may be i have to be added as a named driver like in your case ,

I apologize if this has already been said, I didn't have time to read all the responses. In general it is very easy to add a second driver to a vehicle insurance policy. Insurance companies are well versed in this process as their customers lives change over time (get married, kids start driving, get divorced, etc.). I know when my fiance/wife got here and got her temporary permit, I simply went online to my insurance company and added her to the policy. Then I printed out new proof of insurance certificates, and she was covered. The whole process took about five minutes. We now have two cars that are both in my name since she has no credit yet, and both have both of us listed as drivers.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

That is the best idea... contact the insurance company and ask. You dont have to drive there. Just get the name and look it up on your computer if need be and call them and ask what they require and have them give you an estimate of the cost. That way you wont go wrong. If you have the policy number of the existing insurance that would help, but they can also look it up by name. They might not give you answers without your husband talking to them too, since it is his insurance policy. But if you explain to them your situation, they probably will be very happy to help you.

Thanks for your reply , i think is good to go to the insurance company and ask that i will be driving the car same like he does, and what should do, they will tell what to do, like you said may be i have to be added as a named driver like in your case ,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

should definitely be added to his insurance policy / some things depend on the state you live in/ I am covered under no fault even if my car is stolen

also is your state a community property state / if it is all he owns is now half yours upon the marriage / remember this obligates you as responsible for his bills also

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

also is your state a community property state / if it is all he owns is now half yours upon the marriage / remember this obligates you as responsible for his bills also

Incorrect.

Community Property states if you own a car or house or asset before a marriage it is yours. Only things accumulated during the marriage is community property.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.