Cardinal6669

I just realized the name on my visa is wrong

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My K-1 visa has my middle name included in my given name.

So it has Surname: XXXX

Given name: XXXXX XXXXXX

I am in the U.S and married already, so I should probably fix it up before filing Adjustment of status

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should likely schedule an Infopass appointment soonish, and try to get your names sorted out at USCIS. At that appointment, I would also inquire about possible ramifications to your Form I-94. Depending on what names are listed on your I-94, you may have to then have to get that corrected at a CBP Deferred Inspection Station.

https://infopass.uscis.gov

http://www.cbp.gov/contact/deferred-inspection/overview-deferred-inspection

~Moved from K1 Process to General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum~

~Inquiry applicable to numerous visa processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

You should likely schedule an Infopass appointment soonish, and try to get your names sorted out at USCIS. At that appointment, I would also inquire about possible ramifications to your Form I-94. Depending on what names are listed on your I-94, you may have to then have to get that corrected at a CBP Deferred Inspection Station.

https://infopass.uscis.gov

http://www.cbp.gov/contact/deferred-inspection/overview-deferred-inspection

~Moved from K1 Process to General Immigration-Related Discussion Forum~

~Inquiry applicable to numerous visa processes~

What is infopass?

And what is CBP deferred inspection station?

Is this bad?

Timeline

Please take the time to do some follow-up and read the links I provided to you. :idea:

It is not necessarily bad, since you only noticed the error now after the fact, it could complicate matters for you. It certainly would have been easier had you noticed the error upon receipt of the visa, you then could have had it simply corrected by the embassy/consulate. But you are past that now. Now you will likely have go to the respective agencies that processed the visa that you presented, and remedially correct the error. If you don't correct it, it may result in future complications with your AOS process. I would recommend that you get it corrected as soon as you can. :thumbs:

Timeline

Please take the time to do some follow-up and read the links I provided to you. :idea:

It is not necessarily bad, since you only noticed the error now after the fact, it could complicate matters for you. It certainly would have been easier had you noticed the error upon receipt of the visa, you then could have had it simply corrected by the embassy/consulate. But you are past that now. Now you will likely have go to the respective agencies that processed the visa that you presented, and remedially correct the error. If you don't correct it, it may result in future complications with your AOS process. I would recommend that you get it corrected as soon as you can. :thumbs:

Okay thank you. I am freaking out, they aren't going to deport me are they?

Timeline

Okay thank you. I am freaking out, they aren't going to deport me are they?

If you don't correct it, it may result in future complications with your AOS process. I would recommend that you get it corrected as soon as you can. :thumbs:

You would do well to calm down, get proactive, and get it taken case of soon. :yes:

Edited by Pitaya

Isn't this totally normal?

My U.S. passport reads as such:

Last name: Doe

Given names: John Paul

Your middle name is one of your given/first names.

My wife's U.S. visa read the same way as yours.

We married and she changed her surname. Her green card reads:

Last name: Doe

Given name: Jane P.

What's the problem? Is your visa supposed to only include a middle initial (I don't know the norm)? Or were you expecting another field for "Middle name?" Because there isn't one and it's included under "Given names."

Timeline

I just called my nearest CBP, and they said the I-94 name is what was on my passport, which made me realize that my passport has the name format:

Last name

First name Middle name

So I guess ... it's not wrong?

I looked up google images of australian passports and saw that the name format is like mine, so it must not be a mistake?

Weird ....

On another note, the guy who took my call at the Dallas CBP was one of the rudest people I've ever had the displeasure of speaking to on the phone. Wow.

Timeline

Isn't this totally normal?

My U.S. passport reads as such:

Your middle name is one of your given/first names.

My wife's U.S. visa read the same way as yours.

We married and she changed her surname. Her green card reads:

What's the problem? Is your visa supposed to only include a middle initial (I don't know the norm)? Or were you expecting another field for "Middle name?" Because there isn't one and it's included under "Given names."

Yeah, I just realized this.

The weird thing is, when I went and got my social security number, the woman was entering first name last name and not getting anything in the system. She entered first name and middle name in the first name section and my last name in the last name section and found me. She said they must have it entered wrong in their system because my middle name is my middle name, not part of my first name. She said to contact them about it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It says so on all visas and also if you look at your passport foto page it probably says the same right? At least that's how it is for me, both on my passport page and visa page it says Surname: XXXXXXXX Given name: XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX (yes, I have two middle names). Completely normal.

As I understand it, all visas have this format.

Mine does.

A middle name is a given name.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My K-1 visa has my middle name included in my given name.

So it has Surname: XXXX

Given name: XXXXX XXXXXX

I am in the U.S and married already, so I should probably fix it up before filing Adjustment of status

Your middle name is a GIVEN name ;) Everything is correct with the visa. Plus being you are already in the USA the visa is invalid anyway... move on, it is AOS or bust.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Your middle name is a GIVEN name ;) Everything is correct with the visa. Plus being you are already in the USA the visa is invalid anyway... move on, it is AOS or bust.

Well it is valid, because that is what is on my passport. Other people have said they have the same thing. So I don't think my visa is invalid.

I'm not sure whether I should be worrying about this, or just moving on.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well it is valid, because that is what is on my passport. Other people have said they have the same thing. So I don't think my visa is invalid.

Yes your visa is invalid, it "died" the second you cleared POE, the K-1 is a one entry visa. The I-94 is the document that gives you legal status for 90 days after entry.

Nothing to worry about, move on.. get AOS completed so you can relax for a couple years. :thumbs:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It's a one entry visa so yeah, it is no longer valid. You can't leave the us and come back. it's completely normal.

Focus on the AOS and don't worry :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.