Momus

DCF Seoul. Notarised Korean Documents?

2 posts in this topic

We are filing our I-130 tomorrow (!) but my wife became troubled today after seeing some other Koreans mentioning that they had their marriage certificate "notarised" (or even apostilled). I haven't seen anything on any of the official websites about having any of the Korean stuff apostilled or notarised. Everything just says "copy of..."

I am turning in an original marriage certificate (they are only $1 to print from the Seoul municipal office next to the US Embassy. Are we good to go with that? Do we really need to get the stuff notarised or apostilled, or are the Koreans she has been reading about online just overpreparing?

Just when I thought we had exhausted every doubt about this thing...

This is my last question before filing, I promise!

Thanks again to any and all who can shed some light on this.

Finally (and amazingly), I was able to reach a real human being on the phone at USCIS! I asked and they answered.

Apostille is NOT necessary for Korean documents, provided you have a translation signed by a competent person (in this case, my wife with a degree in English Lit.).

For anyone else who may be stumbling onto this post at some point in the future: You do not need to get anything notarised or apostilled in order to file I-130 or its subsequent steps. Just have your spouse (or yourself) translate the documents and paperclip them to the Korean versions.

Despite the numerous people across the internet who have gotten an apostille (and paid) on their documents, it is not needed by USCIS according to the person I just talked to at their office. The case might be different if filing within the US when documents have been shipped to you from overseas, but I doubt it. It seems like they just don't need it at all.

Well, there's that settled.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.