Jump to content

DCF Seoul. Notarised Korean Documents?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

We are filing our I-130 tomorrow (!) but my wife became troubled today after seeing some other Koreans mentioning that they had their marriage certificate "notarised" (or even apostilled). I haven't seen anything on any of the official websites about having any of the Korean stuff apostilled or notarised. Everything just says "copy of..."

I am turning in an original marriage certificate (they are only $1 to print from the Seoul municipal office next to the US Embassy. Are we good to go with that? Do we really need to get the stuff notarised or apostilled, or are the Koreans she has been reading about online just overpreparing?

Just when I thought we had exhausted every doubt about this thing...

This is my last question before filing, I promise!

Thanks again to any and all who can shed some light on this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally (and amazingly), I was able to reach a real human being on the phone at USCIS! I asked and they answered.

Apostille is NOT necessary for Korean documents, provided you have a translation signed by a competent person (in this case, my wife with a degree in English Lit.).

For anyone else who may be stumbling onto this post at some point in the future: You do not need to get anything notarised or apostilled in order to file I-130 or its subsequent steps. Just have your spouse (or yourself) translate the documents and paperclip them to the Korean versions.

Despite the numerous people across the internet who have gotten an apostille (and paid) on their documents, it is not needed by USCIS according to the person I just talked to at their office. The case might be different if filing within the US when documents have been shipped to you from overseas, but I doubt it. It seems like they just don't need it at all.

Well, there's that settled.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.