Egyptian Cotton

Can we get a k-1 fiance visa if we are married outside the US?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

We are not looking for him to be able to immigrate. I understand it is a slow process and if that was what we wanted to we would be more than happy to patiently wait for it. We want to go to the US for 11 days. 11 days. That's it. We are going to have a wedding, then a reception, then come back to Egypt. Where we live and work and want to be.

As I mentioned previously we have no intention of doing anything illegal...that is why I posed the question to begin with. I have also sent an email to the Consulate here in Egypt asking the same question.

Please, unless you are going to tell me something useful, I don't need to see the same responses again.

If you're not even intending to immigrate then you definitely don't need the K1 or the CR1. You only need a tourist visa. You should have mentioned your intent to not immigrate in your first post for the best responses.

If you can't handle people wanting to help, why bother asking? Lots of times you don't want to read through all the other replies before posting because they're full of bickering back and forth about who's right and who's wrong. And sometimes you just want to give a quick reply before moving on to something else without having to read through a bunch of stuff. Be thankful for what you get.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I understand what you want, he wants to come visit but was denied a visitor's visa. You thought a K-1 would be the next best way to go, which it could have been an option if you weren't already married. The time for a K-1 to be processed is shorter than the CR-1 but it would take more than six months.

Your best bet at this time is to obtain and provide proof of his and your ties to Egypt. I say yours also because the assumption will be that he intends to go the US on a tourist visa and adjust status after arriving to obtain a green card. If he proves that not only he, but also you, have ties to Egypt and have no intention of moving to the US he might get a tourist visa.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Please post and respond constructively, or do not post all.~

PItaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

People type responses at the same time often. I'd rather 5 of the same than two dissenting. You can try for a tourist visa proving his ties to his home. However, being from Egypt this may be difficult. Chances for a tourist visa may be slim.

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm certainly not trying to be "snippy" I'm just really looking for useful information since I can't seem to find anything anywhere else.

What kind of evidence have people had success with in proving ties to their home city? I have read you need to show something pretty big like owning a business or a zillion kids enrolled in school. We both work here and have contracts, my husband is a fairly well known author and translator in Egypt, we rent our apartment (in my name not his because of my work), we own 2 bicycles and 4 cats. Other than that we don't have much to show. I've been told bank accounts, airplane tickets and hotel reservations won't work.

Do you think showing our wedding invitation would help? We aren't sending them unless he gets the visa but we have a few printed. Or would that just hurt our cause people they will think since we are getting married we will stay. And why would he immigrate illegally when he can do it fairly simply (all things considered) legally?

So frustrating...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm certainly not trying to be "snippy" I'm just really looking for useful information since I can't seem to find anything anywhere else.

What kind of evidence have people had success with in proving ties to their home city? I have read you need to show something pretty big like owning a business or a zillion kids enrolled in school. We both work here and have contracts, my husband is a fairly well known author and translator in Egypt, we rent our apartment (in my name not his because of my work), we own 2 bicycles and 4 cats. Other than that we don't have much to show. I've been told bank accounts, airplane tickets and hotel reservations won't work.

Do you think showing our wedding invitation would help? We aren't sending them unless he gets the visa but we have a few printed. Or would that just hurt our cause people they will think since we are getting married we will stay. And why would he immigrate illegally when he can do it fairly simply (all things considered) legally?

So frustrating...

Strong ties as his job, your job, your lease, If you can show every way you are coming back just going over to have a wedding before some friends and family. It might get approved. But as mentioned you being the USC spouse the risk of him coming and you deciding well we like it here lets adjust immigration thinks ion that. whether your intention or not.

You ask why would he immigrate illegally. People like shortcuts. When they see the process and how long it takes. Like you said you figured you would lie to immigration. People do that.

Seems wild to go through all the applying for a K1 even if you could (he still can be denied at embassy). The majority of males get put in AP (Administrative Processing) some for weeks, months, maybe years. That's something to consider also. So your timetable I pray is very flexible.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just to be clear, I was not planning on lying to get the K-1 visa. I was legitimately wondering if we were eligible since we never registered the marriage in the U.S. If we were able to we would have, if not I had no intention to lie to get it. I have no reason to lie my way into getting my husband into the U.S.

3. As for taxes, I have been married under one year and my tax lawyer (who I use since I file from overseas) assured me that it is not necessary to file as a married couple since I am only reporting on one income. I am not trying to evade taxes or swindle the US government, our marriage was just very close to the filing date and it wasn't necessary.

We are not looking for him to be able to immigrate. I understand it is a slow process and if that was what we wanted to we would be more than happy to patiently wait for it. We want to go to the US for 11 days. 11 days. That's it. We are going to have a wedding, then a reception, then come back to Egypt. Where we live and work and want to be.

A marriage in Egypt is a marriage in the US...period!

And how do you justify a K1 if all you want and desire is to live elsewhere?

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Timeline

Strong ties as his job, your job, your lease, If you can show every way you are coming back just going over to have a wedding before some friends and family. It might get approved. But as mentioned you being the USC spouse the risk of him coming and you deciding well we like it here lets adjust immigration thinks ion that. whether your intention or not.

This is useful information to the OP. A tourist visa seems the only viable solution for the OP/husband given their stated circumstances.

The general consensus is that the US citizen should stay out of a tourist visa applicant's petition, but in the case of the OP they are married and her ties to Egypt will be very important for the CO to overcome the 'intent to immigrate' hurdle when reviewing the application, in addition to her husband's ties.

Employment contracts, length of employment, money in bank account, family ties in Egypt, the cats, future plans, etc. - they all add a little bit to the intent to return to Egypt claim that the OPs husband needs to satisfy. Build your story carefully and completely; be up front that you're already married and have no intent to immigrate to the US, therefore a CR1/IR1 is not of interest to you at this point in time.

Referring to your 'event' in the USA as a 'wedding' may be a bit confusing to the CO if you're also presenting evidence that you're already married ... perhaps better to call it your 'celebration' or 're-affirmation' with your American family members who couldn't make it to the Egyptian wedding.

Good luck.

Was he denied the tourist visa before or after you were married? That could make all the difference. Big caveat here: they still may not give it to him. The risk is that some people could spin this same exact story, have their spouse come over on a tourist visa and then wind up staying and adjusting status here. That's a misuse of the tourist visa but people have incentive to do it because it's much faster and much cheaper and people like work-arounds. They ruin it for everyone who wants to just *visit* their spouse while waiting for the spousal visas, or for people in your situation.

I see where you got confused at the K1 thing--thinking that it was a short-stay visa specifically for fiances....sorry, no (I sort of remember reading about it and thinking that's what it was at first, too). It's an immigrant intent visa. In fact, even if you weren't married and therefore were eligible for this visa, it wouldn't be for you (if you want to still live in Egypt, that is).

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.