Eric The Wait

My USCIS Account Signup Process Causing Confusion

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I am the United States Citizen. My fiancé lives in Japan. I filed I-129f in January, 2015. I filled out the G-1145 form so they could e-mail me to let me know the I-129f was received. On 1/16/15 I received an e-mail telling me they received the I-129f. A few days later I received the NOA1 in the mail with receipt date of January 13, 2015.

I am now trying to sign up for a "myUSCIS" account on the official website. I think the G-1145 only gets you an e-mail for the NOA1, but not for anything else like the NOA2, RFE's, NOID's, etc.

Anyway, something is very confusing to me. So, if someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

The first box for the "myUSCIS" account signup asks what my 'User Type" is. There are 4 choices and none seem to apply to me. So, here are the four choices. Which should I select? (I'll note why I think none are appropriate for me and look for any advice someone here can give me to tell me why I am wrong.)

Okay, so here are the 4 choices:
- Applicant

- Petitioner Filing for Employee
- Petitioner Filing for Relative
- Petitioner Filing for Self

Okay, now my understanding that I, as United States Citizen, am the Petitioner. My fiancé in Japan is the "Applicant", or sometimes referenced as the "Beneficiary"
While I believe firmly I am the "Petitioner", (That's what I, the United States Citizen, am called on the I-129f), I am NOT a Petitioner filing for an Employee (obviously this is a K1 Petition), I am not filing for a Relative (obviously as my fiancé and I are NOT yet married and we're NOT related, particularly in that, given our nationalities, I do not think there is a common ancestor since Neanderthals walked the Earth). Finally, it is my understanding I am NOT filing for myself. It is my understanding this I-129f process is a Petition I file on behalf of my foreign fiancé / Applicant / Beneficiary / seeker of K1 Visa, etc..

I don't want to sign up for a "myUSCIS" under the wrong identifier because heaven knows that in this nightmarish process one little slip and I get accused of lying to them, etc. I really try not to be paranoid but I don't want to leave ANYTHING to chance.
So, if someone could enlighten me I would be most appreciative and grateful.

Sorry for this rant. and sounding like I'm coming apart at the seams but this process of waiting more than half a year for NOA2 is starting to get to me. I am expecting an RFE for some divorce decree docs and I read about some poor guy who never received his RFE in the mail and the Case Status was never updated online and the time to respond to the RFE expired. I was hoping that signing up for the "my USCIS" account would help avoid that kind of disaster, but, as you can see, I'm stuck at the first box on the signup form.

Okay, any help would be appreciated.

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19
(G-1145 Email Receipt of case #: Never Received)
1/15/19: Called USCIS and given EAC Case Number

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I am the United States Citizen. My fiancé lives in Japan. I filed I-129f in January, 2015. I filled out the G-1145 form so they could e-mail me to let me know the I-129f was received. On 1/16/15 I received an e-mail telling me they received the I-129f. A few days later I received the NOA1 in the mail with receipt date of January 13, 2015.

I am now trying to sign up for a "myUSCIS" account on the official website. I think the G-1145 only gets you an e-mail for the NOA1, but not for anything else like the NOA2, RFE's, NOID's, etc.

Anyway, something is very confusing to me. So, if someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

The first box for the "myUSCIS" account signup asks what my 'User Type" is. There are 4 choices and none seem to apply to me. So, here are the four choices. Which should I select? (I'll note why I think none are appropriate for me and look for any advice someone here can give me to tell me why I am wrong.)

Okay, so here are the 4 choices:

- Applicant

- Petitioner Filing for Employee

- Petitioner Filing for Relative

- Petitioner Filing for Self

Okay, now my understanding that I, as United States Citizen, am the Petitioner. My fiancé in Japan is the "Applicant", or sometimes referenced as the "Beneficiary"

While I believe firmly I am the "Petitioner", (That's what I, the United States Citizen, am called on the I-129f), I am NOT a Petitioner filing for an Employee (obviously this is a K1 Petition), I am not filing for a Relative (obviously as my fiancé and I are NOT yet married and we're NOT related, particularly in that, given our nationalities, I do not think there is a common ancestor since Neanderthals walked the Earth). Finally, it is my understanding I am NOT filing for myself. It is my understanding this I-129f process is a Petition I file on behalf of my foreign fiancé / Applicant / Beneficiary / seeker of K1 Visa, etc..

I don't want to sign up for a "myUSCIS" under the wrong identifier because heaven knows that in this nightmarish process one little slip and I get accused of lying to them, etc. I really try not to be paranoid but I don't want to leave ANYTHING to chance.

So, if someone could enlighten me I would be most appreciative and grateful.

Sorry for this rant. and sounding like I'm coming apart at the seams but this process of waiting more than half a year for NOA2 is starting to get to me. I am expecting an RFE for some divorce decree docs and I read about some poor guy who never received his RFE in the mail and the Case Status was never updated online and the time to respond to the RFE expired. I was hoping that signing up for the "my USCIS" account would help avoid that kind of disaster, but, as you can see, I'm stuck at the first box on the signup form.

Okay, any help would be appreciated.

Petitioner filing for relative. The whole point of the K-1 route is so that they WILL become your relative, even though they aren't now.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Timeline

Thanks Shauna&Wael for your help.
But, that doesn't seem correct.
Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
I think they want my present status.

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just do what they said. It's not opinion but fact that's what you use. No other choice comes even close to what you want. ..really it doesn't matter which one you use....you have all the same access just asks for different information from you depending on which you pick whike sething it up. And the G1145 is good for everything not just the NOA1...assuming the caseworker set it up which they are bad about not doing in CSC. Once you make a profile on the you can see if you're set up for enotifications or not and just click a button to do it if youre not.

You dont see any more information logged in with a profile and checking than you would if you just type your case number without a profile if that's what you're trying to see.

Edited by Shauneg

Petitioner filing for relative. The whole point of the K-1 route is so that they WILL become your relative, even though they aren't now.

I feel more that it is Petitioner filling for self, because you are filling to keep updated on your own case with your beneficiary.

event.png

My K-1 Fiancée Visa Journey

USCIS:
2015-04-09: I-129F Mailed out overnight to Lewisville, TX
2015-04-10: Case received by USCIS. Routed to California Service Center
2015-04-14: Received our e-mail of NOA1
2015-04-21: NOA1 Hardcopy on hand!
2015-06-12: Case was approved! NOA2
2015-06-19: I797 Hardcopy on hand!
National Visa Center (NVC):
2015-07-06: BNS Case number assigned!
2015-07-07: DS-160 Completed
2015-07-07: Visa FEE paid off
2015-07-11: Case updated at CEAC to "in Transit"!
2015-07-13: Case updated at CEAC to "Ready"!
Argentina's U.S. Embassy - Consular Section:
2015-07-15: Embassy received the package hardcopy from NVC by DHL
2015-07-16: Vaccinations done
2015-07-17: Police certificate done
2015-07-21: Medicals done
2015-07-23: Packet 3 documentation set
2015-07-24: Received packet 3
2015-07-27: Handed in packet 3 to the embassy
2015-08-21: Received packet 4
2015-09-07: Re-done police certificate, required by the USBA IV unit.
2015-09-08: Received package of affidavit of support, sent by UPS from Roland to Argentina
2015-09-10: Interview APPROVED!!!!
2015-09-11: Case status updated at CEAC to "Administrative Processing"!
2015-09-14: Case status updated at CEAC to "Issued"!
2015-09-23: Passport ready to pick up! Scheduled for September 25th.
2015-09-25: Visa on hand
2015-10-02: Departure from Ezeiza, Buenos Aires
Department of Homeland Security (DHS):
2015-10-03: POE - Atlanta, GA
2015-10-16: Got married at Denton, Caroline County's Courthouse

My AOS Journey

Social Security Administration:
2015-10-26: Applied for SSN at Cambridge Social Security Administration
2015-11-23: Called SSA after four weeks mark. They re-send the forms because it was the wrong one.
2016-01-12: Visit SSA and been told that there was a mail sent to me according the situation. Received it later in the afternoon.

2016-01-13: Finally got my SSN card!! (Yayy!! after 80 days!!)

USCIS:
2015-12-17: Forms I-485, I-765 & I-131 Mailed out by USPS Priority mail
2015-12-20: Package delivered

2015-12-30: Received three NOA1's e-mails and sms (I-485, I-131 and I-765)

2016-01-05: Received three NOA1's hardcopies on hand!

2016-01-06: Received biometrics appointment letter.

2016-01-19: Biometrics appointment @ Dover, DE. (Successful! Took only 10 mins.)

2016-01-25: RFIE notification :cry:

2016-02-02: RFIE hardcopy mail received. (I864 form needed to be corrected + additional documentation)

2016-03-08: Overnighted the RFIE response with UPS

2016-03-09: Package delivered

2016-03-10: Received RFIE reception notification

2016-04-08: EAD & AP been approved!

2016-04-11: Received AP & EAD approval e-notification!! (woot woot!!)

2016-04-12: EAD card is being produced

2016-04-13: EAD card been mailed

2016-04-15: Combo card on hand!

2016-XX-XX: (GC interview/approval notice!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!) :clock:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Petitioner filing for Relative. However, I going to warn you thaat the site is having a lot of issues, so I don't think you will actually be able to get an account. If you have a smartphone, there is an app. That was my first notification about my NOA2.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You asked which one to select, people have been giving suggestions about selecting "Petitioner filing for relative" and i suggest the same, but you want your own choice of "Petitioner filing for self". So rather than arguing just select any one including "Applicant" coz in fact you are the applicant. It does not matter. All you will be doing is entering the Case number with your basic profile with your name, email address and/or cell so that you will receive updates thru email or cell. That's it. It's just for notification nothing else.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You asked which one to select, people have been giving suggestions about selecting "Petitioner filing for relative" and i suggest the same, but you want your own choice of "Petitioner filing for self". So rather than arguing just select any one including "Applicant" coz in fact you are the applicant. It does not matter. All you will be doing is entering the Case number with your basic profile with your name, email address and/or cell so that you will receive updates thru email or cell. That's it. It's just for notification nothing else.

That's what I was trying to say...it really doesn't matter which one honestly.

Timeline

Thank you everyone for helping me. I have a much greater understanding now what happens with the USCIS website. Whatever is the right selection it seems clear it doesn't matter anyway.
The smartphone app makes sense!!! I'll try that.
Thanks again to all who took their time to help me.
This website is truly awesome.

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I think you're over analyzing the whole thing and makes it waaaaaay more complicated for yourself than it actually is.

Timeline

I think you're over analyzing the whole thing and makes it waaaaaay more complicated for yourself than it actually is.

Hi Maria & Seve:

Thanks very much for the really helpful comment. Sometimes a person can get lost in their own thoughts. You are very right....Things have a way of working out...if one just lets them take their course!!!!

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi Maria & Seve:

Thanks very much for the really helpful comment. Sometimes a person can get lost in their own thoughts. You are very right....Things have a way of working out...if one just lets them take their course!!!!

You're welcome. I have a tendency to over analyze a lot of stuff. Especially when it comes to the whole immigration process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You're petitioner filing for relative.

Agreed. That is what I put and I have received all email and updates on USCIS under this filing status. once you turn on the alerts, you will receive email and mobile text when your case updates. You are the petitioner your fiancé is the beneficiary or applicant.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.