nancy55

question about after port of entry

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

first, you can call, but never heard any government office admitting a mistake if there was one

got my passport with my mothers Date of birth on it

and each date is different

some states driving license is good 2 years; others 5

EID mubarek said

Edited by Adil & Jeanne

i called dmv the person he answered he didn't know the exact answer he gave me another number to call, when i called the number the line was busy all the time, i think i should just go in person to DMV

Edited by faatima

i don't understand what the issue is here. whatever the expiration date is, all you have to do is renew "before" its expiration date. Drivers license and ID can have different "good for" date. nothing to worry about there.

Edited by jandjin

i don't understand what the issue is here. whatever the expiration date is, all you have to do is renew "before" its expiration date. Drivers license and ID can have different "good for" date. nothing to worry about there.

no issue just get confused between a mistake that should be corrected and correct information (3years) , any date is good as long as somebody is driving, when any card expire you can renew it easy

Thank you, nobody is answering like usual

You are asking a very state specific question. Only someone from CA AND who has been issued a CR-1 visa can give you an informed answer. That being said, it sounds like she got the correct expiration date and I am betting the CA DMV using the valid immigration document expiration date as the basis to issue the ID or DL an they match the expiration dates. That way the immigrant is not in the state of CA driving a motor vehicle with expired immigration papers--i.e. an illegal alien. CA will want to see a new valid GC before issuing a new DL.

Just remember that as a conditional GC holder the LPR status expires with the GC, whereas the LPR status of a 10 year GC hold does not expire. So if the conditional GC holder does not file for removal of conditions (ROC) in 2 years their LPR status expires and they become deportable. CA just does not want any illegal aliens driving on their highways with a valid CA DL.

If you want to chase this down with the DMV, but it will take a visit to a local DVM and waiting a long time to find a person that may or may not know the answer. You might try going as they open and see if you can ask a supervisor. I would just renew before it expires and not waste my time at the DMV, but that is because I just spend 1.5 hours waiting at the County Courthouse to spend 5 minutes with a clerk to renew my car registration because they do not allow diesel cars to be done on-line.

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

Normally CA DL lasts for five years. I think it is correct. I was born and raised in California and renewed my license several times. In terms of the ID card, she doesn't need both anyway. Her drivers license serves as a California ID. So doesn't even need to renew it when it expires.

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Dave & Roza have a good point. When we went to the Secretary of State in our state, the issue was the status of the green card, so probably they made the expiration date shorter while they wait for her to remove conditions and obtain a 10 year green card. Certainly you can try again to call the DMV to confirm this, but more than likely she will just have to renew at the expiration and this is really not a big deal. Here in Michigan, our licenses expire in three years, and you can renew ahead of time over the internet, so it is easy.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You are asking a very state specific question. Only someone from CA AND who has been issued a CR-1 visa can give you an informed answer. That being said, it sounds like she got the correct expiration date and I am betting the CA DMV using the valid immigration document expiration date as the basis to issue the ID or DL an they match the expiration dates. That way the immigrant is not in the state of CA driving a motor vehicle with expired immigration papers--i.e. an illegal alien. CA will want to see a new valid GC before issuing a new DL.

Just remember that as a conditional GC holder the LPR status expires with the GC, whereas the LPR status of a 10 year GC hold does not expire. So if the conditional GC holder does not file for removal of conditions (ROC) in 2 years their LPR status expires and they become deportable. CA just does not want any illegal aliens driving on their highways with a valid CA DL.

If you want to chase this down with the DMV, but it will take a visit to a local DVM and waiting a long time to find a person that may or may not know the answer. You might try going as they open and see if you can ask a supervisor. I would just renew before it expires and not waste my time at the DMV, but that is because I just spend 1.5 hours waiting at the County Courthouse to spend 5 minutes with a clerk to renew my car registration because they do not allow diesel cars to be done on-line.

Dave

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-opens-drivers-license-applications-to-illegal-immigrants/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.