AvaAdore

Visa in hand, but petitioner is unemployed. Please help!

215 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Actually, I suggested it to him a while ago. But he cannot come to me as he doesn't speak the language, and if he were to come to France, he would need to prove he has savings, which he doesn't. If he stayed illegally, he once told me he would feel like a "slave" and that he couldn't live with himself if he weren't able to drive. So I recalled him he said that, to which he said that "as a woman, it's different"...

Seriously?

He doesn't want to be an illegal immigrant but it's okay if you become one. Different for women how?

I wish you the best of luck in life.

Filed: Timeline

I'd suggest having a discussion with him about moving to France....or somewhere else you could both live and work in the EU. if he's not willing to consider making that sacrifice for you, it seems unfair for him to expect that same sacrifice.

I completely agree with CatherineA. Would you date a French guy exhibiting the same behavior? The visa doesn't mean you have to go to the US, just that you're able to. Contact the embassy about extending the visa. Unfortunately none of us can tell you definitively if they can/will/for how long, but you should certainly try.

And expecting you to move over and burn through your savings just to survive seems childish and irresponsible.

Thanks Sarah. I already did, and he refuses as he said he doesn't like the people here, and that the language is too difficult to learn. And that he prefers to live where he is.

I know I would not. It is just so hard for me to be objective about this, because I love him.

Indeed..I was surprised when he said I should just bring my savings, and use that until he finds a job. I then explained that if so, I would be left with nothing, completely dependent on him, with no chance of an AOS to be able to work. To which he said "well stay in France then"..

Well said, :thumbs: .

Hugs back to your delightful cats (L)

Well said, :thumbs: .

Hugs back to your delightful cats (L)

I don't want to be seems intrusive, but how long you have been together? How old is he? I am sorry but it seems like he's still trapped in teenager body. Asking if you have money and using your saving to support yourself it is not seem a wise-way to be together with someone you love.

He is 20. And we have been together for a year and a half now. I know it isn't wise of him to suggest that, but he said it's the only option. So I brushed it off.

First of all, it's not. English is much harder. Also, most future spouses put in some effort into learning the other's language. Even just a little bit, or enough to be polite. Plus he "prefers to stay where he is"? Um....ok. Can you "prefer" to have financial stability and legal status in the country you're living in?

For flip's sake! Honey, he sounds like he is nowhere near mature enough to be married. At all. He's expecting you to just seamlessly fit into his life, exactly the way it is now, with no changes, or effort or sacrifice on his part because finding a job is stressful, French is hard and he prefers his mom's house. You're not signing up to be someone's partner, you're signing up to be an accessory in their life!

Yes Catherine, I really wanted to teach him French but everytime I did, he got bored and didn't care that much (said he preferred to play video games). My goal was to start having basic conversations in French with him, but again, it didn't happen. :(

I know it sounds like that. He was soo very loving until I started loving him back. But then he just changed, lied on a few occasions, and I forgave and forgave..because once I give my heart, it's forever. I wish I wasn't like this, but I cant' change that.

You really haven't said too much positive about your relationship. Why would you want to come to be with him? What makes him so special?

K1 Process20157/15 Sent I-129F7/27 RFE Received and Replied Same Day7/29 NOA1 (electronic)-text, email and website 8/6 NOA1 (hard copy)8/13 NOA2 (electronic)-email and website 8/17 NOA2 (hard copy)9/11 NVC Received9/14 NVC Case # Assigned9/30 Left NVC and Embassy "received" after extended AP10/7 Emergency Interview11/16....approved but waiting in the black hole AP AGAIN!11/20 AP finally changed to non-immigrant AP11/24 ISSUED11/25 Visa in Hand and Headed to the airport!!! AOS in 2016Filed 2/4/16Combo Card In hand 4/21/16<p>Interview scheduled 10/17/16 Approved on the spot

Yes Catherine, I really wanted to teach him French but everytime I did, he got bored and didn't care that much (said he preferred to play video games). My goal was to start having basic conversations in French with him, but again, it didn't happen. :(

I know it sounds like that. He was soo very loving until I started loving him back. But then he just changed, lied on a few occasions, and I forgave and forgave..because once I give my heart, it's forever. I wish I wasn't like this, but I cant' change that.

He's lazy and has no respect for you or your culture then. Or he's stupid. Sorry. Learning another language simply isn't THAT hard. Boring, maybe. But we all do things for love. Except him, I suppose. Because he's lazy and has no respect for your or your culture or he's stupid. See?

Everyone feels that way about their loves (that giving their heart is forever). It passes. Marriage is a partnership, not a fairy tale. You're not getting a partner. You would be signing yourself up for a lifetime of misery (or at the very least an ugly divorce) if you continue with this unless he makes some very serious changes. Sorry. Good luck.

Edited by CatherineA

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

I agree with this. If your fiance is not mature enough to find a job to get married in a responsible fashion, then he is not mature enough to have a life with you. And on top of things he wants kids right away? You are setting yourself up for trouble on this one.

My advice is do not come until he has a job and has proven he can financially support you. Even if you were to come here, you could not adjust status as your AoS would still require a sponsor if he did not have a job. It's not worth the risk. Tell him to get a job or forget it.

In addition, even if he did have a job, does he have enough money for a down payment on a house or 3 months security for an apartment? You'll probably wind up living with his mother, so ensure he has a place for you to stay... away from mom.

A ring on your finger will not make financial hardships any easier. I would not have dared ask my wife to marry me if I could not afford to do so. He should give you the life and respect you deserve, and he can prove it by finding a job first. Be strong, and don't be a push-over. Worst case scenario you do the K-1 over again and he'll have a job by next year.

It's really hard to hear this, but deep down my intuition sometimes hints at that as well. I just love him and want to believe he can change this for us though.

He wants kids right away yes. I tried to explain that if I was pregnant asap, I would need to see doctors eventually and for this you need medical cover, and all of that is not priceless.

If I were to stay here, what if I cannot get my visa extended? what if it has to be started all over again, and that the embassy asks why I didn't use my visa?

Alas he has no savings. And his mother will ask him money for rent once he starts working, which means I'll have to live there, with his 5 brothers and sisters. Which is difficult for me as it doesn't feel like the life of a married couple.

I can say this: your wife is very lucky.

Edited by AvaAdore

As others have said, he's too immature and lazy to be a good husband. And he told you the process made him "stop loving you". Really?!! Apology or not, his true colors are shining through. If I were you, I'd stay right where I am. Good luck!

yes he did :( sometimes he says really harsh things, but always apologise. I know it's not right, but he has had a touch childhood.

I wouldn't have bought my Wife over if I wasn't employed or if I would need a cosponsor until the time was right.

You're from France, not some warn torn 3rd world country and I fail to see the urgency in migrating to the US when things are not well lined up here for you.

Good luck.

PS: There are threads littering VJ of people that came over and had issues with unemployed SO's and living with parents.

Because in spite of all this, I gave him my heart. If I hadn't fallen in love I wouldn't care.

It's really hard to hear this, but deep down my intuition sometimes hints at that as well. I just love him and want to believe he can change this for us though.

He wants kids right away yes. I tried to explain that if I was pregnant asap, I would need to see doctors eventually and for this you need medical cover, and all of that is not priceless.

If I were to stay here, what if I cannot get my visa extended? what if it has to be started all over again, and that the embassy asks why I didn't use my visa?

Alas he has no savings. And his mother will ask him money for rent once he starts working, which means I'll have to live there, with his 5 brothers and sisters. Which is difficult for me as it doesn't feel like the life of a married couple.

I can say this: your wife is very lucky.

You're focused on the wrong "what if". What if you come over here, and you can't apply for AOS in the required 90 days? You know what happens then? You're here illegally in the US which is no joke. Sure, you probably won't get caught but anything can happen. And does happen. Even to French citizens: http://pinerivertimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/DU/20150310/NEWS01/150319959/0/NEWS05/Durango-nurse-facing-deportation&template=printpicart

(If you don't want to read it: French citizen, married while on visitor's visa, before the 90 day visa expired. Was "in the process" of applying for AOS---after the 90 day visitor visa was up, when an altercation got the police to come to the house. 22 days overstay resulted in her spending a month in immigration jail and was facing deportation and and a ban). What will he do if/when you're deported and banned? What will happen to your hypothetical children?

You won't be able to get a driver's license--which is important as an ID as well as permission to drive. Eventually your passport will expire and will no longer be a valid ID. You won't even be able to get on an airplane for a domestic flight (no valid ID, no airplanes). You won't be able to leave the US ever, not even to Canada, not for a cruise, not to go home to visit your family, because you won't be allowed back in.

What if you can't get your visa extended (you probably can). You apply for another one. You'll probably get that one, too. Explain the finances. If they deny the K1, get married and go for a CR1. More time apart, yes, but better than signing up for all of the above.

Edited by CatherineA

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.