Toronto Roots Fla

RFE to prove Match.com is not an International Marriage Broker

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

We received a sort of surprising RFE today. The relevant portion is as follows:

"Circumstances of Meeting

You indicated that you met the beneficiary through a dating website online called Match.com. However, you did not provide any specific details about the website. Submit information regarding this website, including the circumstances under which you and beneficiary met to establish the relationship.

International Marriage Broker

You stated that you met the beneficiary on-line. It is not known if you met the beneficiary through an International Marriage Broker. An International Marriage Broker is considered a business that charges fees for providing dating.....between United States Citizens and foreign nationals. As such, such please submit evidence that you did not meet the beneficiary through services of an International Marriage Broker...."

I am trying not to get upset that this is the stupidest RFE in the history of RFEs and just focus on getting USCIS what they want. Here's our plan of attack for the two categories in which they're seeking more information.

1) Circumstances of Meeting - print out "About Match.com" description from their website. Submit the e-mails from Petitioner to me using the site. (Unfortunately, we don't have my e-mails back to him, since he erased the e-mails and we no longer have accounts online.) Re-iterate how we met in person for the first time and our meetings in person since (even though this was sent along with boarding passes in the original application).

2) International Marriage Broker - we e-mailed Match.com Customer Care to ask them whether they were an IMB. Hopefully, their response is enough to prove that they are not.

Has anyone else gone through this for Match? Am I missing anything that should be included?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

That's really strange, I wonder why they interfere that much in people's private affairs , you and your mate already met no matter where , it is none of their business , all what I understand is that, they want to make things hard for all of us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's been happening recently in regard to many websites. The "fix" is easy.

*** Thread moved from K-1 Case Progress forum to the IMBRA subforum, where similar matters are discussed. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just print out their terms of service it should state implicitly that they are not a marriage broker, this RFE happens all the time when people say they met online. If I can catch people before they send the petition I tell them to send the T.O.S. with their package.....just in case this happens.

That's really strange, I wonder why they interfere that much in people's private affairs , you and your mate already met no matter where , it is none of their business , all what I understand is that, they want to make things hard for all of us.

It matters because of IMBRA, not to make matters hard.

Timeline

Just print out their terms of service it should state implicitly that they are not a marriage broker, this RFE happens all the time when people say they met online. If I can catch people before they send the petition I tell them to send the T.O.S. with their package.....just in case this happens.

It matters because of IMBRA, not to make matters hard.

I might be missing something, but I read Match's terms of use and it doesn't seem to indicate explicitly or implicitly that they are not an IMB. From reading other posts on here, this seems to be explicitly stated in some other sites' terms of use, but not Match. Do you know what language in the terms of use I should be looking for to indicate they are not an IMB?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

See the advice from the fabulous pushbrk, who sadly is all too inactive on VJ:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/553538-elenas-models-rfe-for-imb/?p=7688172

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Me and my fiancé met online too over eharmony.com but he did not receive any such RFE. Thankfully. I do agree it is one crazy RFE and this is just me but may be match.com sounds like a match making website name so they generated that RFE for you?! But yea don't bother/worry too much about it and just send USCIS what they need. Also you've answered your question for yourself; I think those evidences you mentioned be enough along with the terms and conditions part like someone here stated.

March 24, 2015: K1 petition mailed to Lewisville, TX via UPS

March 27, 2015: UPS tracking shows USCIS has received the petition

March 31, 2015: NOA1 notification received in email and text with USCIS receipt number (7 days after submitting the petition)

April 24, 2015: Case approved by USCIS (24 days after receiving NOA1)

May 1, 2015: NOA2 received in mail

May 14, 2015: Case getting processed at NVC

May 19, 2015: NVC processing done

May 24, 2015: Letter from NVC received (31 days after receiving NOA2) (case forwarded to consulate, interview location allotted)

May 25, 2015: I receive Packet 3 from United States Consulate General, Mumbai

May 28, 2015: Filled DS-160 form online, confirmation received and printed

June 1, 2015: Visa fees paid. Consular interview and OFC scheduled for 10 July, 2015

June 15, 2015: Medical examination

July 10, 2015: Visa interview at Mumbai Consulate. Visa approved!!

July 11, 13, 15, 2015: Case status on caec changed to 'Ready' on each mentioned date and case creation dates updated on each mentioned date
July 16, 2015: Case creation date updated, case status changed to 'Administrative Processing'
July 17, 2015: Case status updated to 'Issued' passport dispatched through BlueDart, DHL

July 20, 2015: Received passport with my visa on it and a sealed yellow envelope

September 2, 2015: POE Orlando, Florida

September 17, 2015: Courthouse marriage. We're married!

October 8, 2015: AOS, EAD and AP application submitted via UPS

October 19, 2015: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP received in mail

October 24, 2015: Civil marriage with families present. We're married, again!

October 27, 2015: Biometric notice received in mail

November 2, 2015: Biometrics done (walk-in at Orlando center) and RFE received in email for GC appliaction

January 7, 2016: EAD, AP approved (91 days after submitting the AOS application)

March 11, 2016: GC approved

May 6, 2020: Filed N400 online

May 7, 2020: Online receipt confirming USCIS received my case for N400 online (hard copy received in mail)

August 7, 2020: Online notification of biometrics reuse (hard copy received in mail)

August 14, 2020: Online notification for interview appointment (hard copy received in mail)

September 23, 2020: Naturalization interview, case approved, took oath, and just like that I am now a citizen of the United States!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I might be missing something, but I read Match's terms of use and it doesn't seem to indicate explicitly or implicitly that they are not an IMB. From reading other posts on here, this seems to be explicitly stated in some other sites' terms of use, but not Match. Do you know what language in the terms of use I should be looking for to indicate they are not an IMB

I apologize. I was thinking of another site that comes up alot on here. People have had success with match.com by emailing them and receiving a written reply from them stating they are not IMB.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/70728-is-matchcom-considered-a-marriage-broker/page-2

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/553538-elenas-models-rfe-for-imb/?p=7688172

Thanks for linking that thread. I will wait for Match's response to my e-mail and submit that along with a further explanation about site and how we met.

Timeline

I apologize. I was thinking of another site that comes up alot on here. People have had success with match.com by emailing them and receiving a written reply from them stating they are not IMB.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/70728-is-matchcom-considered-a-marriage-broker/page-2

No worries! Super helpful thread, thanks for linking it here. Hopefully, we are the anomaly and there is not a new/renewed interest in sending RFEs to people who have used Match.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

First go to either of your profiles on the site and print out profile and first message.

Second write up an affidavit and have your signature notarized.

(exmaples of affidvits can be found online) Pretty easy to print one up. Any problems contact me as I can do an example for you.Not stating my former job but trust me this is not hard.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Seriously? How can they NOT know what Match.com is? Totally ridiculous

pushbrk is awesome

Timeline

First go to either of your profiles on the site and print out profile and first message.

Second write up an affidavit and have your signature notarized.

(exmaples of affidvits can be found online) Pretty easy to print one up. Any problems contact me as I can do an example for you.Not stating my former job but trust me this is not hard.

Unfortunately, we no longer have acess to our profiles on Match. We only have the e-mails from him to me. We're going to include Match's About Us page, their Terms of Service, the Match e-mails from him to me, some of the 300 pages of our whatsapp chat, and our skype logs to describe how the relationship started. I'm hoping this will be enough to satisfy the RFE as it realtes to details about Match and our "Circumstances of Meeting" because we don't really have anything else.

We're still waiting to hear from Match about it not being an IMB.

Thanks for your repsonse and your offer to help us write affidavits. If we need help along the way, we'll definitely reach out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.