Armen

2016 Lottery question regarding on Higer school diplom and vactinaitons

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

One more last question Susie.

In the DV regulations it states about the birth certificate that it should have an

Annotation by the appropriate authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records

and the old one that expired had it already. But for the new one, I can’t make it on time to have that annotation, cause otherwise I will have it by monday and the CO was very strict to bring it until friday. On the reciprocity schedule paper that they gave me when I left for the missing document, it doesn’t mention anything about having that annotation though, but mentions all the other specifications it should have. In any case, I am doing a desperate attempt, since I can’t make it on time and will present it to them without that special annotation and hope that they will accept it.

Do you think that will be a problem?

Edited by Alex Ve

Timeline

OK I just returned from the embassy. The employee seemed to accept my new issued birth certificate and she informed me that in about two weeks I shall receive my passport and visa along with the original documents via DHL, although she didn't assure me that I would indeed get a visa.

Edited by Alex Ve

Timeline

Just checked the CEAC site again. It says:

Issued

“Your visa has been printed. Depending on local procedures at the location where you were interviewed, your visa will be mailed or available for pickup soon. If there are further questions, or if we need updated contact information, you will be contacted.”

Edited by Alex Ve

Just checked the CEAC site again. It says:

Issued

Your visa has been printed. Depending on local procedures at the location where you were interviewed, your visa will be mailed or available for pickup soon. If there are further questions, or if we need updated contact information, you will be contacted.

Congratulations !!!!!!!

Timeline

Susie, is it guaranteed that I will have the visa in my hands since it has already been printed? Regardless if there is a delay of some kind or a long waiting list with interviewers yet?

The thing that bugs me is that after my interview the CO told me to register my appointment in the DHL website so they can return my documents with my visa after about two weeks. The problem is that the DHL website has a problem of sort of to accept my CN nuber as already appointed and the support team are looking into it. And I am worried that this technical problem might cause some delay or deny of my visa...

Edited by Alex Ve

Susie, is it guaranteed that I will have the visa in my hands since it has already been printed? Regardless if there is a delay of some kind or a long waiting list with interviewers yet?

The thing that bugs me is that after my interview the CO told me to register my appointment in the DHL website so they can return my documents with my visa after about two weeks. The problem is that the DHL website has a problem of sort of to accept my CN nuber as already appointed and the support team are looking into it. And I am worried that this technical problem might cause some delay or deny of my visa...

If your status is issued, then it's in your passport! The DHL is just getting your passport back to you.

Timeline

If your status is issued, then it's in your passport! The DHL is just getting your passport back to you.

I see, so it's certain that I am getting the visa...

Eh, if only I didn't have to go through a very painful break up with my gf because of being a dv winner I would be a lot happier...I hope I'll find someone like her when I move into the US along with a good paying job and not failing in my new life there and be forced to get back in my home country without that special one waiting for me anymore only to find shattered memories and broken dreams of our lost love. :(

(Sorry for the off topic confession, but I needed to share it with someone )

Edited by Alex Ve

Timeline

I'm so close at letting my upcoming visa expire and never go to the US in the six months limit....

I had a very painful discussion today with my gf after I explained to her the situation that I will have to leave her...She burst into tears at the thought of us breaking up. :(

I'd like to ask if anyone knows, if I go the US after I receive my documents and visa and then I receive my green card successfully, what will happen if I return back in my home country and stay for 2-3 years instead of six months? Will I lose the Green Card and my right to live and work in the US? Is there any way that I can extend my stay outside of the US somehow?

Thanks.

Edited by Alex Ve

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

TO maintain a green card you must be in the USA more than you are out during each year you hold the card. You must also file taxes ( and pay if required ) A re entry permit lets you extend a stay out of the US but you must still file taxes

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I'm so close at letting my upcoming visa expire and never go to the US in the six months limit....

I had a very painful discussion today with my gf after I explained to her the situation that I will have to leave her...She burst into tears at the thought of us breaking up. :(

I'd like to ask if anyone knows, if I go the US after I receive my documents and visa and then I receive my green card successfully, what will happen if I return back in my home country and stay for 2-3 years instead of six months? Will I lose the Green Card and my right to live and work in the US? Is there any way that I can extend my stay outside of the US somehow?

Thanks.

If you are out for longer than a year you will be presumed to have abandoned residence and lose it. As has been said, you can apply for a re-entry permit which will allow you to stay out for two years but you will still be required to submit returns to the IRS and possibly be liable for taxes depending on the tax treaty between Greece and the U.S. You will need to stay in the U.S. for a few weeks to do an application for a re-entry permit too.

You need to think long and hard about what you want. If your girlfriend is worth giving up a green card for then presumably you are serious; in that case, why not consider marriage so she can go to the U.S. too? Can you try picture yourself in 5 years and think what future you will think about today's choices?

Timeline

If you are out for longer than a year you will be presumed to have abandoned residence and lose it. As has been said, you can apply for a re-entry permit which will allow you to stay out for two years but you will still be required to submit returns to the IRS and possibly be liable for taxes depending on the tax treaty between Greece and the U.S. You will need to stay in the U.S. for a few weeks to do an application for a re-entry permit too.

You need to think long and hard about what you want. If your girlfriend is worth giving up a green card for then presumably you are serious; in that case, why not consider marriage so she can go to the U.S. too? Can you try picture yourself in 5 years and think what future you will think about today's choices?

I don't mind paying any amount of taxes I can afford it. That's not a problem for me... Is it guaranteed that my application for re-entry will be accepted? Or can it be denied?

Unfortunately, she can't and doesn't want to leave outside her home country that's why we can't do a marriage.

Can you try picture yourself in 5 years and think what future you will think about today's choices?

That's a very good question...Realistically speaking, we don't have a long future together (she has already one child from a divorced marriage and she doesn't want to give birth to another one nor get married again, she is also 7 years older than me).

It's just that we are so close together and having the time of our lives in every way...

Edited by Alex Ve

Timeline

Susie how many days before our visa expire can we travel in the US? My visa is valid from 30 june 2015 (which is when I made the medical exams) until 30 december (if I calculate right the 6 months period). So, what is the latest date that I could travel to the US until the 30 december period ends, so that I can receive my green card and apply for admission on time? I am asking cause I want to leave as late as possible.

You can enter on the day it expires. However planning it that way is risky because if there are flight delays etc you could arrive too late. Also bear in mind things like winter weather delays with big knock on effects etc. I wouldn't feel comfortable planning anything less than a week before expiry - a cancelled flight on a busy route could easily take a few days to get a rebooking for, for example. I was in jfk and schipohl the year of the really bad snowstorms and some people were literally stranded for days waiting for new flights.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.