ANJOS

USCIS = Very ABUSIVE = AOS from K1

70 posts in this topic

Well, this discussion is moot. Whether we like it or not, our statutory framework provides that immigration to the US IS a privilege, not a right. Furthermore, the issue of "immigration rights" is not one that any politician would ever push as a platform, since most voters in the US are very anti-immigration. No politician would stand up on a soapbox and ask for more funding for USCIS to reduce AOS timelines, or streamlined procedures. That would be the political death of any politician.

Bottom line is, the current difficulties we face in getting our loved ones approved for green cards, etc. is the fault of the US voters, and public opinion. It all flows from this.

Marc

You're right but I do not think the problem is money, it is more a matter of responsibility and organization that USCIS do not meet.

I think the OP want to tell that is not normal to have an easy green card doing things illegally (enter with ESTA - or any other way -, get married and ask for AOS) than doing the things legally (enter with a K1 visa and ask for AOS). The wait will be 6 month for the first one (with interview) and more than 12 months (sometimes 15 months) with no interview and no relevant information for the second one. And I do agree with that. It is not normal.

And I do agree with the other, it's not a right, it's a privilege... let's try to do the same in our born country, I am sure, it will be much more difficult for our beloved to come and live with us (and even more difficult for gay couple, I am sure ^^)... but I don't think OP was telling the opposite t ^^

That is exactly what I mean, first person that really talk about what the post actually refers to.

If it was "illegal" to enter with ESTA - or any other way -, get marreid and ask for ASO, then why does the US Government issue green cards to most of these applicants?

It's not always "illegal" to enter the US on ESTA, marry, and adjust. You are mischaracterizing this.

Because they paid the penalty fee, in inmigration there are illegal things that you can pay a pardon.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not currently there is not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I think the word "Abusive" is hardly the one that should be used in this case.

I'm sorry if this will sound harsh, but this is my opinion after reading through this thread.

Honestly. Some people wait longer, some have their case done faster. There is SO many things that need to be checked in order for the case to be approved. The country you're coming from matters also. Many of your people screwed up in the past and misused their visas? Say thank you to them, because they made your visa journey harder. Some background checks take longer to do too and they can't do anything about it.

USCIS offices are taking long to process your case? People working there are not cyborgs, they are human beings. They won't work 24/7 and they are not mistake free. Just deal with it. They have a lot lot lot lot work to do. They won't give you a special treatment just because you think you're special.

Like someone said. Being able to become resident (and citizen) of another country (USA in this case) IS a privilege. You complain that it takes few months to get there, when you should be happy that YOU have a opportunity to legally move there. Because many people don't.

I went through B2 visa and K1 visa. Now doing my AoS. Does it take long? Yes, it does. Am I complaining? No. Why would I? I know that sooner or later my case will be approved. Find yourself some hobby, go to school, stay busy. And before you know it, your case will be approved. And be a bit more grateful.

Also - you say that people coming on B2 with intent to marry AND stay have it easier? Who knows. I personally doubt it. Also consider how many times that plan didn't work and they were turn on the border/send home/deported/etc. It's like saying: "Hey, it's easier to steal money rather than find a job. Let's do that instead! Government is BAD and UNFAIR boo, so let's kick its butt."

Last word - Stay strong and good luck at your visa journey!

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Agreed. If everyone had the right to be here than the country would be severely overpopulated. The current immigration system may be broken, but making it a right to be here would make the process even more of a gong show.

Funny how Americans still think the whole world wants to me move to the US. I would leave for Norway/Sweden or Germany in a heartbeat if I could. We are thinking about getting my husband an EU citizenship, since on one side of the family, all of his roots can be traced to European countries easily (immigrated here in the late 1880s).

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Funny how Americans still think the whole world wants to me move to the US. I would leave for Norway/Sweden or Germany in a heartbeat if I could. We are thinking about getting my husband an EU citizenship, since on one side of the family, all of his roots can be traced to European countries easily (immigrated here in the late 1880s).

I'm not American, I'm Canadian.

Oh, I hardly think Americans think the whole world want to move there... But the fact is that MORE THAN ENOUGH people want to move there (legally or illegally) to make it an issue for them. Look up some statistic. Example: http://www.gallup.com/poll/161435/100-million-worldwide-dream-life.aspx

And I refer to my earlier post: More patient, less complaining and blaming others for your slow process.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Like someone said. Being able to become resident (and citizen) of another country (USA in this case) IS a privilege. You complain that it takes few months to get there, when you should be happy that YOU have a opportunity to legally move there. Because many people don't.

I disagree. I see it as a right. Privilege sounds arbitrary and random. A right means that if you meet this, this and that criterion, then you are granted this right.

But it might be just semantics at play.

event.png

Moving to US is a right? Tell that to all people who want to move there but can't then. :P

"A right means that if you meet this, this and that criterion, then you are granted this right." Um.... That's exactly what's happening? xD It's simply takes time to actually CHECK if you meet those criteria for sure and that you're not committing fraud. It's not a simple process.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Moving to US is a right? Tell that to all people who want to move there but can't then. :P

"A right means that if you meet this, this and that criterion, then you are granted this right." Um.... That's exactly what's happening? xD It's simply takes time to actually CHECK if you meet those criteria for sure and that you're not committing fraud. It's not a simple process.

It doesn't matter. A privilege is me giving money to charity. A right is me getting paid by my boss after I put in the hours and the work.

A privilege is subjective, a right is objective. A privilege can be revoked AT WHIM, a right cannot be revoked simply because the person giving it doesn't feel like it anymore, or doesn't care much for your mug.

event.png

I think the word "Abusive" is hardly the one that should be used in this case.

I'm sorry if this will sound harsh, but this is my opinion after reading through this thread.

Honestly. Some people wait longer, some have their case done faster. There is SO many things that need to be checked in order for the case to be approved. The country you're coming from matters also. Many of your people screwed up in the past and misused their visas? Say thank you to them, because they made your visa journey harder. Some background checks take longer to do too and they can't do anything about it.

USCIS offices are taking long to process your case? People working there are not cyborgs, they are human beings. They won't work 24/7 and they are not mistake free. Just deal with it. They have a lot lot lot lot work to do. They won't give you a special treatment just because you think you're special.

I went through B2 visa and K1 visa. Now doing my AoS. Does it take long? Yes, it does. Am I complaining? No. Why would I? I know that sooner or later my case will be approved. Find yourself some hobby, go to school, stay busy. And before you know it, your case will be approved. And be a bit more grateful.

Also - you say that people coming on B2 with intent to marry AND stay have it easier? Who knows. I personally doubt it. Also consider how many times that plan didn't work and they were turn on the border/send home/deported/etc. It's like saying: "Hey, it's easier to steal money rather than find a job. Let's do that instead! Government is BAD and UNFAIR boo, so let's kick its butt."

Last word - Stay strong and good luck at your visa journey!

Hi I'm not looking for special treatment at all. I'm just a big frustrated that coming with the K-1 where we have already been scrutinized and had an interview I'm sitting here waiting. I'm going by the processing times and my case is out of the normal processing time that is what I'm saying. No they aren't robots at USCIS but I'm possibly being waived an interview because I already had one the same as I've been investigated and they have all that information. Yes others from my country may have affected how the cases are being dealt with but I know many who have gotten their green cards from my country in NYC in a matter of 4 months.

I'm a bit frustrated mostly because I have the repay for the medical, reapply for my work permit, redo my drivers license (it expires when my work permit expires).

Good luck with you case as well!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I disagree. I see it as a right. Privilege sounds arbitrary and random. A right means that if you meet this, this and that criterion, then you are granted this right.

But it might be just semantics at play.

The U.S. Supreme Court strongly disagrees with you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.