Lauren and Igor

temporary health care plan before AOS /ssn processed

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

I have read quite a few threads related to health insurance while adjusting your status from K1 holder to permanent resident. However, none of the conversations seem to really apply to my circumstances.

Here is the data :

I have entered the USA, june 17th

Got married july 1st

Applied for AOS, EAD... july 8th

Requested SSN july 13th --> have a two week waiting period before obtaining number.

Living in NY state ( Brooklyn)

My wife is intending to take me under her health insurance. However, she is changing jobs ( and health insurance company ) this summer. For all practical purposes, it does not make sense for her to add me to her health insurance before she is under the new plan ( september 1st)

However, out of precaution, I would like to be covered for emergencies ASAP. I have read that traveller's insurance does not apply to K1 visa holder for a number of reasons.

Could you confirm?

I have come across a couple of website such as American Visitor Insurance https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/visa-insurance/fiancee.asp

that seem to offer adapted plans for a reasonable price. Please let me know if you think this is the way to go.

Thank you so much for your help

Best

Iggy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from General Immigration Discussion forum to the Moving to the US forum, where similar issues are discussed. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Travelers insurance won't work, no. When is your wife changing jobs, is she working at her current job until September 1? Regarding the visitor's medical insurance vs your wife's insurance I can't say which would be more cost effective, you would have to get the coverage details of your wife's plan (costs for procedures, limits on coverage, dental, etc) and compare them to the visitor plan details.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Thanks for the reply. Basically we just want coverage for me in case of emergency until Sept 1st. Since we are tight on fnances right now (Im waiting for my EAD and not working) we thought it would be better just to get "just in case" insurance instead of spending an extra 400 this summer on increased premiums.

If I want emergency insurance, is it better to go for catastrophic insurance that is usually available to people in the US? Initially I was thinking of the travelers' insurance but then I read that K1s are ineligible for that.

Thanks again for your help :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay so I'm going to tell you my experience as the USC adding my husband to my insurance, he came on a K1 too.

So health insurance for me alone through my job was $85 a month which wasn't taxed. When I went to add my husband to the insurance after we got married the cost increased to $220, I was slightly annoyed but it had to be done. However when I got my paycheck I didn't lose an extra $135; since the $220 is pre-taxed money I ended up getting taxed on a lesser amount, and instead of costing me $135 more per month it was actually only $~65 more per month.

Like a week later I remembered that I forgot to change my W-4; since I'm married now I qualify for an extra federal allowance, which means I'll get taxed less. Once I resubmitted my W-4 and I got my next paycheck I ended up getting paid MORE than what I was originally getting paid when I was single, by $175!

So have your wife look into adding you on the insurance and changing her W-4 if she has not done so! I hope I made sense.

Edited by jfgk1987

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Thanks for the reply. Basically we just want coverage for me in case of emergency until Sept 1st. Since we are tight on fnances right now (Im waiting for my EAD and not working) we thought it would be better just to get "just in case" insurance instead of spending an extra 400 this summer on increased premiums.

If I want emergency insurance, is it better to go for catastrophic insurance that is usually available to people in the US? Initially I was thinking of the travelers' insurance but then I read that K1s are ineligible for that.

Thanks again for your help :)

Check out ehealthinsurance or (in su buy) to find some names of short term plans. Then you can go direct to their websites to compare coverage and costs.

www.ehealthinsurance.com/short-term-health-insurance

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.