angel_l

AOS interview: documents needed to prepare

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hi, I'm really in a complicated situation right now, even though it sounds simple, it seems that the whole world is against me or I'm just unlucky. I have a question about Adjustment of Status. I came to US on April 2015 on a K1 visa, got married within 90 days, and filed AOS together with EAD and AP. However I have a concern regarding the AOS interview as I have read that joint documents which prove that we are living together and trust each other financially are required. I don't have enough proof except for the marriage certificate and wedding photos. Having a Joint Bank Account, credit card, etc. are all impossible because California ID is required, and I went to DMV twice to no avail; they said that they can't help me with that since my K1 visa is already expired June 29, 2015. Also, we don't have joint tax returns since I'm unemployed yet. His tax records are still showing as 'Single' because it will only reflect as 'Married' next April 15 2016 tax returns. We don't have car insurance, or any assets under our name because we don't own a car or house. We don't have life insurance either. Adding my name on the lease agreement would be impossible also, since the landlord is already trying to evict and they are not in good terms already. They have only one lease contract and it's in the name of him and his family because they were the original settlers of the house, and I just entered lately. He is the only one that has medical insurance because it's a benefit in his job but he can't include me because that would be expensive since he'll be paying for it, and I'll be looking for a job when I get my EAD anyway so I will have a medical benefit in my future job. Our bills (electricity, water) are not in our name because we are just renting part of the apartment, and the bill is only in the name of the very first tenant who is not renting here anymore. What else can we do in order to prove that ours is a bonafide marriage?

Hoping for your helpful response. Thank you very much!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Calm down don't be afraid, once u have ur ead, u can go to ssn to upgrade/apply for ur card and u will start from dere by getting ur name in his bank account and any other bill u think secondly since u are here on k1 u may likely not to attend interview and have interview waiver............ good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can apply for SSN before you have the EAD!

You only need your passport and i-94.

Yes, but not if there is less than 2 weeks left before the I-94 expires. They came in April, so they probably missed that chance.

OP, you can get an SSN and state ID with your EAD.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
Hi, I'm really in a complicated situation right now, even though it sounds simple, it seems that the whole world is against me or I'm just unlucky. I have a question about Adjustment of Status. I came to US on April 2015 on a K1 visa, got married within 90 days, and filed AOS together with EAD and AP. However I have a concern regarding the AOS interview as I have read that joint documents which prove that we are living together and trust each other financially are required. I don't have enough proof except for the marriage certificate and wedding photos. Having a Joint Bank Account, credit card, etc. are all impossible because California ID is required, and I went to DMV twice to no avail; they said that they can't help me with that since my K1 visa is already expired June 29, 2015. Also, we don't have joint tax returns since I'm unemployed yet. His tax records are still showing as 'Single' because it will only reflect as 'Married' next April 15 2016 tax returns. We don't have car insurance, or any assets under our name because we don't own a car or house. We don't have life insurance either. Adding my name on the lease agreement would be impossible also, since the landlord is already trying to evict and they are not in good terms already. They have only one lease contract and it's in the name of him and his family because they were the original settlers of the house, and I just entered lately. He is the only one that has medical insurance because it's a benefit in his job but he can't include me because that would be expensive since he'll be paying for it, and I'll be looking for a job when I get my EAD anyway so I will have a medical benefit in my future job. Our bills (electricity, water) are not in our name because we are just renting part of the apartment, and the bill is only in the name of the very first tenant who is not renting here anymore. What else can we do in order to prove that ours is a bonafide marriage?

Sworn affidavits from family / friends? Two or three? And maybe get them notarized? That's all I can add from my own knowledge.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes, but not if there is less than 2 weeks left before the I-94 expires. They came in April, so they probably missed that chance.

OP, you can get an SSN and state ID with your EAD.

Agree, but why would you wait ;-)

It's not like you need to go to work etc.

Hi :)

Calm down calm down, just breathe first :) Actually that was my problem before - how to get joint accounts for my upcoming interview...like in your case, I was not included yet on the tax returns when my husband submitted it as well as the car insurance ..we don't have any insurance that time before a month of our sched AOS interview. But like @Tonald said, not all will get an in person interview, others will get potential interview waiver though so if you didn't get an interview scheduled yet then just wait for an interview waiver too.

Here are some of my suggestions for you because this is what I planned before;

1. dental plan - there are a lot of dental plans you can get right away and it's way much cheaper - http://www.dentalplans.com

2. 2 personal affidavits - either from family friends, neighbors or common friends (at least one or two)

3. electric bills - you can call them and ask to change the name. We did that when I came in

4. gym membership

5. living wills - most VJ's said this is a strong one

6. mail letters with your names on it with the same address

7. try to get as many photos as possible with your family and close friends too and the places you went together

8. P.O. box - you can rent it at UPS stores with both your names on it

9. hotels and plane tickets with your names on it

Hope this helps :)

Good luck and God Bless! Relax

Edited by sweet01
710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Calm down don't be afraid, once u have ur ead, u can go to ssn to upgrade/apply for ur card and u will start from dere by getting ur name in his bank account and any other bill u think secondly since u are here on k1 u may likely not to attend interview and have interview waiver............ good luck

Thank you so much Tonald!

However, will I be able to receive my EAD before my interview date? Upon checking the USCIS website, it says that

"As of July 6, 2015, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSCXXXXXXXXXX, for an interview. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice."

Is there still a possibility to get an interview waiver even though it says so that I'll be scheduled for an interview?

Calm down calm down, just breathe first :) Actually that was my problem before - how to get joint accounts for my upcoming interview...like in your case, I was not included yet on the tax returns when my husband submitted it as well as the car insurance ..we don't have any insurance that time before a month of our sched AOS interview. But like @Tonald said, not all will get an in person interview, others will get potential interview waiver though so if you didn't get an interview scheduled yet then just wait for an interview waiver too.

1. dental plan - there are a lot of dental plans you can get right away and it's way much cheaper - http://www.dentalplans.com

2. 2 personal affidavits - either from family friends, neighbors or common friends (at least one or two)

3. electric bills - you can call them and ask to change the name. We did that when I came in

4. gym membership

7. try to get as many photos as possible with your family and close friends too and the places you went together

Thank you very much, sweet01! You have really great suggestions!

Although there are some which I'm sure that my husband will not agree to, because we are saving money in order to buy a house and car few years from now. For example the dental plan - My husband will say that it's a waste of money because I will not be using it anyway. He is very thrifty that he himself doesn't even go to the dentist! lol :) Both of us never go to the gym, and I'm sure that he'll say that it's also a waste of money. We also don't travel or go out a lot, because he's working 7 days a week, 16 hours a day (sometimes 8 hours a day), and he's really working very hard for our future. But I'll try to discuss with him the options you provided.

Thank you very much! That's really helpful! :) God Bless!

Thanks also for the others for your responses! I really appreciate all of your responses. Thanks also for calming me down! I was very worried because I already tried to apply for state ID twice, but they always rejected me and they said that they can't help me because my visa, I-94 is already expired. I hope that I will get an interview waiver, but I'm expecting to be interviewed because of my case update that was indicated in the USCIS website that they will schedule my interview and send the notice.

4. gym membership

Thank you very much, sweet01! You have really great suggestions!

Although there are some which I'm sure that my husband will not agree to, because we are saving money in order to buy a house and car few years from now. For example the dental plan - My husband will say that it's a waste of money because I will not be using it anyway. He is very thrifty that he himself doesn't even go to the dentist! lol :) Both of us never go to the gym, and I'm sure that he'll say that it's also a waste of money. We also don't travel or go out a lot, because he's working 7 days a week, 16 hours a day (sometimes 8 hours a day), and he's really working very hard for our future. But I'll try to discuss with him the options you provided.

Thank you very much! That's really helpful! :) God Bless!

Thanks also for the others for your responses! I really appreciate all of your responses. Thanks also for calming me down! I was very worried because I already tried to apply for state ID twice, but they always rejected me and they said that they can't help me because my visa, I-94 is already expired. I hope that I will get an interview waiver, but I'm expecting to be interviewed because of my case update that was indicated in the USCIS website that they will schedule my interview and send the notice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you so much Tonald!

However, will I be able to receive my EAD before my interview date? Upon checking the USCIS website, it says that

"As of July 6, 2015, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSCXXXXXXXXXX, for an interview. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice."

Is there still a possibility to get an interview waiver even though it says so that I'll be scheduled for an interview?

Usually the EAD/AP shows up about 90 days after filing the AOS assuming no RFEs. The interview can be anywhere from five months to a year from your filing date ( or even longer with an interview waiver). You will still have time. One piece of advice, once you receive your EAD/AP wait a week to 10 days before applying for a SSN or state ID. This is to make sure you are properly entered into the USCIS site. Once you have that, you can get you accounts in order.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

4. gym membership

This is one of the reasons why i love this site.

Thanks for the info in regards to Dental Plan.

I need to get that

06/24/2015 - Package received
06/29/2015 - fingerprint fee accepted.
06/30/2015 - Received text & e-confirmation of NOA. Case received & routed to USCIS National Benefits Center
07/06/2015 - NOA1 received.

07/13/2015 - Biometric letter arrived mail box. Date 07/24/2015

07/24/2015 - Biometric done. One month mark

08/29/2015 - EAD approved

09/03/2015 - EAD card mailed

09/04/2015 - EAD approval mail in mail box

09/08/2015 - EAD card received.

09/09/2015 - Applied for SSN.

09/15/2015 - Got my SSN in the mail

04/14/2015 - Update online: Your interview has been scheduled for 05/19

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We didn't submit anything, I wouldn't worry too much. Like someone else said you could always get something from friends and family, or photos together when you were already here. I think you are over worried, unless you have red flags which is hard for us to know you didn't provide the country you are coming from which could be a red flag in itself.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

For AOS it is not that crucial to have a long list of co mingling evidence, however why not add what you can to avoid any potential issues ?

For ROC you must have that long list so start soon not at the last minute.

I don't care for dental plans and gym cards either but I sure will do what I have to in order to be approved.

Being thrifty is one thing and being denied is another......then he would have to start over with the high fee again.

In the end it's not thrifty, it's walking on the edge.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Usually the EAD/AP shows up about 90 days after filing the AOS assuming no RFEs. The interview can be anywhere from five months to a year from your filing date ( or even longer with an interview waiver). You will still have time. One piece of advice, once you receive your EAD/AP wait a week to 10 days before applying for a SSN or state ID. This is to make sure you are properly entered into the USCIS site. Once you have that, you can get you accounts in order.

Good Luck!

Glad to hear that! I feel relieved knowing that I will still have time to settle everything before the interview date. Thank you very much! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.