cheesezgigi

i601a approved!going to next step

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

I am a new member of this website. My husband i601a waiver was approved on July 9th. I've paid for AOS fee ($88) and IV fee ($325).

I submitted the IV application online couple days ago and now preparing the civil documents to mail to NVC. I ordered my tax transcripts through the IRS so I am

waiting on it as well to mail in my AOS.

My question is how do you get police non-criminal record in China if my husband is still in USA?

Anyone has any previous experience on how to do that?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I am in the same situation. I wrote a letter to NVC explaining that my husband was here in the US and unable to appear in person to get the police record, but they still sent me a checklist. So now we don't know what to do. I have asked for a supervisor review but don't know what will happen.

Where is your husband orginal country?

I am thinking we might need to do a letter of power of attorney and have someone in the country to get that report.

My husband is from Nicaragua. He doesn't have anyone there to do that for us. But if you do, that could be an option.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to VJ.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I would love to share my experience because it was a painful thing to work on. Hope you can do it right.

1. Go to your local city or county police department and ask them about FBI fingerprint card. It was about $15. The department will print your name on the card and ask them to have a stamp on the card as well. Do not fill in any of your personal information on the card. Chinese police department will not take it.

2. Call your state office and tell them you need a background check for immigration interview in China (or wherever the country you are going to). They should know how to do it. They will tell you how much is the fee, what documents they need and where you need to mail it. You should received it around 2 weeks. Once you received it, you only need the page says you don't have any criminal record in your states.

3. Check online or ask the state office about where you can get an apostille stamp. It should be either one of the county office or secretary of state. Put the state criminal record on top of the FBI fingerprint card and give it to the agent for apostille. They will add a cover sheet on top and seal them together with a gold sticker. You cannot tear or break the sticker.

4. Write a letter says you give the permission to xxx to represent you and this person has the authority to request your criminal record in china. It needs you and that person information on it. The letter must in Chinese I think I still have a copy of my husband's if you need a sample.

5. Mail everything back to china and have that person who represents you to go to county police department(县/市公安局) to get a form for criminal record. Then take the form to your Township police department ( 你户口本上的村/镇派出所) fill out the form first, then bring it back to county police department. They should tell you how to do it. County police office will takes about 2 weeks to work on it.

5. Pick up the criminal record and then go to notary office (公证处) to do the notary and translate. It will takes another 2 weeks. Then you are done!

My husband has his interview on 7/29. We are ready to go back to china on 7/21. I'm the one work on all his things so I know the whole process. If anyone, in the same situation, has questions, feel free to ask. I would love to help and share my experience.

Edited by huilingdong

Timeline

P.S. you need to tell the chinese county police department about what date you left from China.

Your family or friend should pick up 2 original of your notary records. Do not mail it, it just wasted time. Tell them just scan and email every single pages to you. NVC only needs the copy. Your family or friend should keep them in a good shape until you back to China for interview. The consulate needs the original.

Some people say the records will expired after 6 month from the date it stated on it. However, one of my cousin got approved without bring it in. I believe that "6-month" is for the people in China because they may have something happened during the wait time in China. For the people in US, your record won't change anything no matter how long is the wait time because you don't live in china. If you want to play it in a safe way, you can go back to chinese county police department and redo it.

Timeline

I am in the same situation. I wrote a letter to NVC explaining that my husband was here in the US and unable to appear in person to get the police record, but they still sent me a checklist. So now we don't know what to do. I have asked for a supervisor review but don't know what will happen.

Go online to find the attorney offices in your husband's original birth/live city. Get a phone card and call those offices and see if they can do it for him with a charge. They should do it. You may also find a service website on Google which can help you do all these things through emails; of course with a service fee. I found one is for China. Since my husband has friends and family in china, we don't need that service so I don't know how much they charge for it. Good luck to you!

Timeline

huiling,

Thank you so much for your informative advice!Did you fill out all the applications by yourself as well?

Please keep me update on your husband interview!I wish you best of luck!

You are so welcome and I hope it will help you out. Yes, I fill out all the applications. We do hire an attorney for I-601a application but I still did the most part of works.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

do you really need the non criminal records? my attorney says when they interview you they take your fingerprints and everything is on their computer already, so why bother?

Timeline

do you really need the non criminal records? my attorney says when they interview you they take your fingerprints and everything is on their computer already, so why bother?

Timeline

You do need the non criminal records(original or copy) for NVC, otherwise NVC won't send your file to China. If you live in US and back to China for interview, you may not need to bring it in because they do have it on the computer; but still better to have it in hand if you have one. Some interview officer even asked for a new non criminal record if your first one is more than 6 months. The interview officer won't take your fingerprint unless you are approved at the end of interview. So what your attorney said was wrong. Edited by huilingdong

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hey huiling,

Are you back in USA?how did the interview goes?can you give me some pointers and advices during that process?as much details as possible please. My husband's father is helping us to get the non criminal record right now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.