Momus

Joint Sponsor I-864

8 posts in this topic

First, I just want to sincerely thank the members of this forum for taking time to contribute their knowledge to the rest of us. It's really a wonderful thing. As far as internet forums go, this has to be the most selfless, generous, and good-natured group of people on the web.

I am currently applying for the CR-1 through DCF in Seoul, Korea. My job here will end and then I will be returning to the US to get another job, although there is nothing lined up yet. In the meantime, I should submit the I-864. I am worried that the break in steady income might raise some questions and delay our case. I have savings and investments, but it just seems like parading a bunch of additional documents is just going to gum things up even more. I thought the safest thing to do would be to just have a Joint Sponsor in hopes of simply bypassing my situation altogether.

My question is: If I have a Joint Sponsor, do I also need to submit I-864 for myself (with tax returns, etc.) or can I just send theirs and call it a night? I don't have a problem doing that, but I just want my case to be as streamlined and simple as I can make it.

Thanks again for any help you can offer!

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Yes. Since you're the petitioner you will need to fill out an I-864 with supporting documents (e.g. tax returns etc.) and then if your income is less than the poverty guidelines then you will need a joint sponsor who will need to fill out there own I-864.

One more question about Joint Sponsors...

My joint sponsor is currently in the USA (while my wife and I reside in Korea until we are done with this process). Is the joint sponsor expected to sign the I-864 in pen and ship it around the planet or is it possible to just type in the signature? The last page is about having a third party prepare the document on behalf of the sponsor... If I "prepare" the document, does that mean we don't need the joint sponsor to physically sign it? I'm trying to avoid shelling out $100 to express ship a piece of paper.

Can I sign (or prepare) it on behalf of the co-sponsor or do we need to make arrangements to ship it?

Thanks!

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Sorry, you need to have an original signature. I don't even think a scanned copy is accepted: http://www.uscis.gov/forms/signature-requirements-uscis-forms

You don't want to risk receiving an RFE just for a signature.

Well I guess it just has to be done then... Looks like I'll be biting the bullet, I guess. If it avoids getting my case delayed, I suppose a $100 here or there is worth it in the long run. Thanks for that link.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This is not a budget process. And shipping "around the world" is a very simple thing to do. You seem to be choosing the hard way out of laziness. Not willing to pull together your own financial information. Hunker down and just get it done.

The goal is the visa and living together in the US. It's worth a few dollars and a few hours of work.

Cutting corners will lead to delays and frustrations. Choose your path wisely.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

This is not a budget process. And shipping "around the world" is a very simple thing to do. You seem to be choosing the hard way out of laziness. Not willing to pull together your own financial information. Hunker down and just get it done.

The goal is the visa and living together in the US. It's worth a few dollars and a few hours of work.

Cutting corners will lead to delays and frustrations. Choose your path wisely.

Thanks for the concern. Maybe my first post was unclear. I am doing my own I-864 with all of my financial information. I did the work of compiling everything and sitting on hold with all of the agencies and banks in order to get all of the necessary documents. I wasn't planning on a Joint Sponsor out of laziness. My main objective it "leaving no doubt" in the mind of the reviewer. Because my finances are a patchwork and not easily laid out in simple terms, I just wanted to give them something concrete and straightforward to just stamp and move on. I was just trying to avoid any delays because I honestly don't know how crazy they will be about these things.

I don't mind shelling out for the shipping, it just seemed really impractical for the sake of a signature - the same thing people used 5,000 years ago - when we have so many alternative avenues of verifying identity through electronic means.

Anyway, jut to be clear, I did hunker down and pull together everything for that. I just wanted to provide some extra security.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.