GJDill

US Citizen BF financially sponsoring F-1 student GF (merged threads)

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your input .. It is fairly common for Filipina's to work abroad and even more common for them to want to work abroad. I was hoping being truthful with a counsel officer would be respected. I have read where others were in a similar situation and did receive their F-1 visa (not from the Phils though). A US education is highly respected around the world .. otherwise why would they have so many international students be willing to pay the high cost of a US education. I was hoping .. that returning to her country is enough .. I don't see why wanting to go back and work on another legal visa is a negative? It would certainly be much less expensive to simply wait for her annulment (assuming it will be granted) and bring her here on a I-129F. But my idea was while waiting to see what the future holds in the Philippine court system. That she could regain the latest knowledge in the nursing industry, that would better prepare her for future employment, in the Phils. the US, or abroad. Which would be money well spent, I think. The counsel should look at the guidelines .. is she a bona-fide student and will she return .. and the answer to both of those questions is yes.

I know many do work abroad -- but many do not do so in the US where they have a US boyfriend who supports them. The part they will likely find most difficult to believe is the "Yes" answer to "Will she return". Too many in similar situations have not, making the visa officers more sceptical. Not saying it's not your current intent -- just trying to see how the officer will see it. And, I could be wrong, who knows?!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know many do work abroad -- but many do not do so in the US where they have a US boyfriend who supports them. The part they will likely find most difficult to believe is the "Yes" answer to "Will she return". Too many in similar situations have not, making the visa officers more sceptical. Not saying it's not your current intent -- just trying to see how the officer will see it. And, I could be wrong, who knows?!

Thanks .. I really do appreciate your opinion .. just trying to get as much info as possible prior to her visa interview..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Her studies may run 4 years, college is expensive. Plus I was thinking a student loan approval would add more clout during her interview, being somewhat responsible for her own education ..

paying international student rates for 4 years might be too much of a burden.

have you , instead, explored this scenario?

She comes in on a K-1 visa, you two marry. File for the greencard. Wait until she utilize state-resident-tuition rates, then she goes to school. During the wait, she gets all of her docs submitted for coursework equivalencies, takes and passes a TOEFL exam, takes some short courses at a junior college, does some part time work...

Work it all out on a spreadsheet, you should easily see (at the end) the cost savings.

Sure, the biggest hurdle on this is the annulment, as she must prove up that she's legally able to marry with you.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I've never heard of an annulment being denied in the Philippines. It's my understanding that annulments typically take 12-18 months to complete, but rarely take two years.

Anyone?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've never heard of an annulment being denied in the Philippines. It's my understanding that annulments typically take 12-18 months to complete, but rarely take two years.

Anyone?

Not really trying to discourage anyone, but I know of somebody who's annulment got denied. But the chances I thik is very rare, some may take some time, my brother's annulment took over 3 years before it was finalized, they don't have any children and had been married for just a year. I think, for annulment you really must find an attorney who already had a lot of credible experience.

Edited by Dean_De

paying international student rates for 4 years might be too much of a burden.

have you , instead, explored this scenario?

She comes in on a K-1 visa, you two marry. File for the greencard. Wait until she utilize state-resident-tuition rates, then she goes to school. During the wait, she gets all of her docs submitted for coursework equivalencies, takes and passes a TOEFL exam, takes some short courses at a junior college, does some part time work...

Work it all out on a spreadsheet, you should easily see (at the end) the cost savings.

Sure, the biggest hurdle on this is the annulment, as she must prove up that she's legally able to marry with you.

To be granted a K-1 visa, the beneficiary must prove she's single, which she can't do because she is not annulled from her husband (presumably a Filipino, otherwise divorce would have been mentioned as an option by OP).

She will have to admit at the embassy interview for student visa that her U.S. Citizen BF will be providing the financial support she needs to go to school. What will she have to give back in exchange for the financial support? With a USC BF, what will motivate her to go back home? Lots more questions that she will have to overcome at the interview.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratz for that! That's quite an accomplishment.

My Pinay wife didn't take a review course either. My wife's sister passed on her second try. We have a Pinay friend who passed on her first try.

Also, many Pinoy nurses at my wife's job passed on their first try.

I agree :)

I had a friend too who did self study and passed the nclex in the ist try

But if you wanted to be more motivated and had a simplified review like what I did... I enrolled in a review center for 1 month and passed the exam eventually. I guessed review classes here in Phils are less expensive rather than in the US

Not really trying to discourage anyone, but I know of somebody who's annulment got denied. But the chances I thik is very rare, some may take some time, my brother's annulment took over 3 years before it was finalized, they don't have any children and had been married for just a year. I think, for annulment you really must find an attorney who already had a lot of credible experience.

I agree, an experienced (and honest) attorney is needed. A good attorney will choose the right judge and will not delay the process in order to fill his pockets with your hard-earned pesos.

I agree :)

I had a friend too who did self study and passed the nclex in the ist try

But if you wanted to be more motivated and had a simplified review like what I did... I enrolled in a review center for 1 month and passed the exam eventually. I guessed review classes here in Phils are less expensive rather than in the US

Both the on-line and the in-person Kaplan review courses cost $499 where we live here in the U.S.

To be granted a K-1 visa, the beneficiary must prove she's single, which she can't do because she is not annulled from her husband (presumably a Filipino, otherwise divorce would have been mentioned as an option by OP).

She will have to admit at the embassy interview for student visa that her U.S. Citizen BF will be providing the financial support she needs to go to school. What will she have to give back in exchange for the financial support? With a USC BF, what will motivate her to go back home? Lots more questions that she will have to overcome at the interview.

In his scenario, I'm pretty sure Darnell realizes that the annulment would have to come first.

That being said, I fully agree with you that there will be "intent to immigrate" and "financial" issues at her interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If she gets a Student visa she can just get divorced in the US no need for an annulment.

What are her ties to PI, what is it that will show that she will go home?

Most Nurses do not meet the requiremnents for a H1b

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If she got divorced in the U.S., and then remarried in the U.S., would she be able to adjust her status while still living in the U.S.?

If she had to return to the Philippines, she would not be able to come back to the U.S. without an annulment because she would not be able to get a CFO sticker in her passport.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If she got divorced in the U.S., and then remarried in the U.S., would she be able to adjust her status while still living in the U.S.?

If she had to return to the Philippines, she would not be able to come back to the U.S. without an annulment because she would not be able to get a CFO sticker in her passport.

I dunno exactly, but even she had green card from USA, without CFO in passport she cannot leave the PI ? OUCH. #LifeChoices

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

If she gets a Student visa she can just get divorced in the US no need for an annulment.

What are her ties to PI, what is it that will show that she will go home?

Most Nurses do not meet the requiremnents for a H1b

My sister moved to the U.S. From the Philippines as an H1B nurse then eventually got her GC and US citizenship. What do you mean by 'most nurses do not meet the requirements for a H1B'?

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My sister moved to the U.S. From the Philippines as an H1B nurse then eventually got her GC and US citizenship. What do you mean by 'most nurses do not meet the requirements for a H1B'?

Because nursing h1bs are being reserved lately for specialized nurses. In the past this was not as prevalent but now it is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.