Grapefruit

Over skilled but no DL, very annoying

19 posts in this topic

I got 2 job offers first time i applied but they couldn't hire me because I don't have the Driving Licence yet. And cannot finish the classes if I'm not working. Any idea if this is a strong requirement as a condition of employment or can I negotiate that I can get the DL in like 1 or 2 months.

Very annoyed, need to work asap!! thanks in advance.

It depends on the job and duties. What type of work are you seeking?

Thanks for responding. They said it's required in a "direct position". My field is mental health!.I know for a fact that some positions are sitting, no need to drive during the job.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I could see that perhaps they're wanting to be sure that you have reliable transportation. Are there any home visits like a social worker may have?

Edited by Transborderwife

Well I could see that perhaps they're wanting to be sure that you have reliable transportation. Are there any home visits like a social worker may have?

Well, i can use a cab, or something. I'm a widow and live in an isolated place so unnecessary requirements make things difficult. Those with home visits are considered "direct position". I applied for a temp position and they offered me a higher level full time. So frustrating!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, i can use a cab, or something. I'm a widow and live in an isolated place so unnecessary requirements make things difficult. Those with home visits are considered "direct position". I applied for a temp position and they offered me a higher level full time. So frustrating!!

Perhaps consider working in another field until you are able to have that requirement. Chances are they're not going to waive it if they explicitly say it's required. You can try and tell them that you're working towards it. Worth a try.

I don't know if this applies to your case but in the U.S. the driver license IS the primary ID. We're not like most countries where you have your national ID card and then a separate driver license if you drive. If you can't drive then you go to the DMV and get a non-driver ID card. Pretty much the same thing because you can't hold both simultaneously.

As a result of this, a lot of times people ask to see a driver license but they are really referring to any valid government photo ID, such as a passport, non-driver state ID, or state driver license.

And finally, many states let you drive for up to your first year in the U.S. on your foreign driver license as long as you also have your passport and (if your license doesn't have an English translation) an international driver license.

Edited by jxn

Perhaps consider working in another field until you are able to have that requirement. Chances are they're not going to waive it if they explicitly say it's required. You can try and tell them that you're working towards it. Worth a try.

well i try to work in another field too, but difficult to find that here. I think better to move in a big city where this is not required so strongly. I think it's now that i'm here, just to know how to address this, how to ask them to give me a chance, and wait a bit. As i cannot afford not to have the jobs for the matter. Need a place that's flexible, souple. :). thanks a lot.

I don't know if this applies to your case but in the U.S. the driver license IS the primary ID. We're not like most countries where you have your national ID card and then a separate driver license if you drive. If you can't drive then you go to the DMV and get a non-driver ID card. Pretty much the same thing because you can't hold both simultaneously.

As a result of this, a lot of times people ask to see a driver license but they are really referring to any valid government photo ID, such as a passport, non-driver state ID, or state driver license.

And finally, many states let you drive for up to your first year in the U.S. on your foreign driver license as long as you also have your passport and (if your license doesn't have an English translation) an international driver license.

That's a good point, i.e. that a DL is the primary ID, I didn't know that. But don't understand why get a non-driver ID card, if i'm in the process to learn. Do I still need that? I have all IDs necessary. Also have noticed, but not sure if it's important, many have DUIs stuff going on their DL, so is it appropriate to guess for a job, this requirement is another "natural selection" so to speak before people apply?

In any case, thanks a lot for the point, it's very helpful!. Only chance I have is to see if they're flexible enough to give ma that chance. Again, thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

well i try to work in another field too, but difficult to find that here. I think better to move in a big city where this is not required so strongly. I think it's now that i'm here, just to know how to address this, how to ask them to give me a chance, and wait a bit. As i cannot afford not to have the jobs for the matter. Need a place that's flexible, souple. :). thanks a lot.

Please check the motor laws in your state,

and see if you need a license of any kind

to drive a scooter less than 49.5 CC.

If no need, well, that solves yer transportation problem.

Perhaps it really is an ID problem, as background checks and licensure in your state seemingly hinges around the DL number. To overcome that, go get a State ID on Monday. Same office that issues the DL issues the State ID. The numbering system is the same between DL and ID, and serves the same purpose.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I got 2 job offers first time i applied but they couldn't hire me because I don't have the Driving Licence yet. And cannot finish the classes if I'm not working. Any idea if this is a strong requirement as a condition of employment or can I negotiate that I can get the DL in like 1 or 2 months.

Very annoyed, need to work asap!! thanks in advance.

Hi Grapefruit,

Do they require you to have your DL to get there with your own car or to drive vehicles at work?

Depending on the State you're in you COULD get it in as little as 2weeks if you pass the written test and driving test on your first try and do both as soon as you can, but this only works if you know the practical and if you can drive. Honestly, driving automatic is really easy.

However if it's to get to work, you will have to pay for a vehicle and that is a certain expense too..

Personally I think one should never rush to get a Driver License..

Good Luck!

K1

AOS

ROC

09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

N400

09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Please check the motor laws in your state,

and see if you need a license of any kind

to drive a scooter less than 49.5 CC.

If no need, well, that solves yer transportation problem.

Perhaps it really is an ID problem, as background checks and licensure in your state seemingly hinges around the DL number. To overcome that, go get a State ID on Monday. Same office that issues the DL issues the State ID. The numbering system is the same between DL and ID, and serves the same purpose.

Thanks, it's very informative. At this time, i don't want to get dispersed with a scooter and such, and keep the focus on my skills that appear to be appreciated (at this point, I have the impression that not many are experienced like that around here). I recall the HR at one of the 2 jobs differentiated DL licensure and background checks, not putting them together, that job offer required a car, i.e. direct position. Every step here is difficult whit a car, and that office is far, as I don't drive yet. So I have to check by phone. Overall, I guess that, if they want me, they should be flexible and allow me to adjust properly, I take driving very seriously.

Hi Grapefruit,

Do they require you to have your DL to get there with your own car or to drive vehicles at work?

Depending on the State you're in you COULD get it in as little as 2weeks if you pass the written test and driving test on your first try and do both as soon as you can, but this only works if you know the practical and if you can drive. Honestly, driving automatic is really easy.

However if it's to get to work, you will have to pay for a vehicle and that is a certain expense too..

Personally I think one should never rush to get a Driver License..

Good Luck!

Yes, thanks lots. I've been able to reach a certain amount of lessons, but now need to finish, as mentioned, need to work first before I can finish. I've been misinformed with all this and now I try to fix things by myself. And yes, DL is a serious matter, prefer not to rush: quality comes first, especially in this context.

I was wondering with the occasion of this topic if others have been in similar situation in fact.

Pop on down to Mexico and get a Driver License down there. It used to be easy to obtain on there.

With NAFTA any place has to accept your DL

What are you talking about? not very helpful.

So did you say a driver license is needed because you are required to drive as part of the job duties?

Do they just want to make sure you have a reliable way to get to work?

Were they possibly just trying to fill in an ID number on HR forms and simply used a less-than-ideal term?

Do you have a driver license from your home country? Do you have an international driver license? Your state night validate it and essentially give you a local driver license without taking the test.

If you don't want to take the road test now, get a non-driver ID or a learner permit (which is an ID with limiting driving privileges as you practice).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.