kenzo_gal

Discrepancy Issue on my Name on AOS and EAD

31 posts in this topic

I came here in VA through K-1 Visa on January 27. We got married, tried getting a SSN more than 2 weeks before my I-94 expires (but unfortunately a lot of problems came up and ended not having it unless I already have my EAD/green card), got to see a civil surgeon accredited by USCIS, filed my application forms (I-485 & I-765) and had my biometrics done as well. Last Thursday, I happen to receive a mail from USCIS re: Request for Initial/Additional Evidence for my I-765 due to a discrepancy between Service Recod and the application as to my last name. I came here single wherein my maiden name was reflected on my I-94/k-1 visa and got married and that is why I am using my husband's. I don't seem to understand why when in fact I have attached a separate copy of our marriage certificate for the above mentioned forms and when we called the toll-free hotline of USCIS, we were told to go to the nearest local USCIS office for she doesn't know what to answer when my husband asked her what document/s do we have to submit then. Oh well, I wrote an explanation letter, sent another copies of our marriage certificate (I had two just to make sure), attached 2 wedding photos and the letter that we have received. Sad to say that I just can't seem to start a life in here since having a SSN is very vital and I can't have it yet. I can't even open a bank account, apply for a state ID and pursue my nclex application. I know this may sound as if I am ranting a lot but I just wanna share my experience because it's almost half a year that I'm here but I just can't seem to start on something. And all I gotta do is wait.

Whew! Do you guys have any idea? Just to lighten me up or make things clear too.

Thanks and God bless.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, sorry, i've written a how-to on the ssn chasing.

and

then there is the name change thingie for AOS,

then there is the participate in USA thingie.

sorry you took the wrong path when applying for ssn...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I should've tried applying for a SSN long before but instead, did it after we got married thinking that things will work out well. Well, I went to SSA thrice and on my 2nd visit, I was told that I have been issued with a SSN but it didn't get through me. I was told to just wait but instead, I have received a letter from SSA that they can't issue it yet. And now, I don't know what else to do rather than waiting for their response through mail. Thanks anyways, I really appreciate you taking time on my post. Have a nice day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

So you received a RFE related to your EAD application? Due to names not matching? Did you list your maiden name as a prior name on the AOS forms? What is a service record?

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Yes I did. Since I am married, I definitely have the full right to use my husband's last name. Likewise, I also placed my maiden name on the other names used box on the EAD application form. The service record is what they have on their system, so basically twas my maiden name. I just dont know what to do since, before applying for AOS and EAD, I failed to get a SSN because they wanted me to come back once I already have my EAD :-(

Timeline

Yes I did. Since I am married, I definitely have the full right to use my husband's last name. Likewise, I also placed my maiden name on the other names used box on the EAD application form. The service record is what they have on their system, so basically twas my maiden name. I just dont know what to do since, before applying for AOS and EAD, I failed to get a SSN because they wanted me to come back once I already have my EAD :-(

So service record=the I-94 printout?

Does the marriage certificate have your husband's last name? And not your maiden name? Just asking because our marriage certificate just has my wife's maiden name (so she stuck with that on the EAD application). Assuming the certificate has your husband's name, then it sounds like USCIS messed up. It happens sometimes. It will probably be fixed soon since you sent them all that documentation.

And for future reference, you can post AOS/EAD/AP questions/concerns here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/

Well actually the one we have applied for (marriage licence form) was just stamped immediately after we went back to request for copies of our marriage certificate along with what was filled out by the Celebrator. And from there, it was my maiden's. name.

Timeline

Well actually the one we have applied for (marriage licence form) was just stamped immediately after we went back to request for copies of our marriage certificate along with what was filled out by the Celebrator. And from there, it was my maiden's. name.

Ahhhh. That might be the problem then. If your marriage certificate has your "old name" and not your "new name", then that's the reason for the RFE most likely.

I just hope that it will be fixed asap since all of these are causing me so much delays plus in every application that I have made, there was always a problem and I'm stucked :( btw, thanks for the info.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Marriage Certificates should have your maiden name. That's how it's written. That's enough evidence that your name has changed. A copy of your husband's ID, should be sent, if his name is not on marriage certificate.

Marriage Certificates should have your maiden name. That's how it's written. That's enough evidence that your name has changed. A copy of your husband's ID, should be sent, if his name is not on marriage certificate.

Exactly! I mean that is already a proof of a name change right? Yeah no worries because I also attached a copy of my husband's passport along with all the required documents on both of the applications that I have made.

Thanks @Beginning777. I just don't seem to understand why there is still a discrepancy as how they call it given the supporting documents that I have submitted. I had my biometrics about 2 months ago and why they haven't seen that initially when I have received my NOA. Does it has something to do of my failure to have a SSN? What do you think?
?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Introducing Our Members forum to the AOS/Family-Based main forum -- OP's issues are AOS-related. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

what I did with mine is though, I was married already, and adopted my husband's last name; I applied for SSN, AOS, EAD/AP using my last name as it appears in my PH Passport. Then when I did my interview with the AOS (for GC) I ask the consul to change my last name to my husband's name. Then; when the GC arrives; I change my last name in SSN using my GC as supporting docs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.