lala64

Student requirements after K1

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Does anyone know what is required to attend college after you arrive on K1 visa and applied but not received AOS.. such as SSN EAD how can my fiancé start college and should he bring his HS certificate with him?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Off Topic forum to the "Moving to the US & Your New Life" forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Contact the school you wish to attend, I am sure they will be able to help you with their requirements.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Depends on the school. In 2012, my stepson arrived in the US on 26 July 2012, we filed the AOS packets on 17 Aug 2012. He was admitted as an out-of state student (for tuition purposes) at the nearby community college for Autumn quarter 2012. We received the EAD/AP combo cards on 1 Nov 2012. He got his SSN on 2 Nov 2012. His temporary lack of a SSN was not an issue with the college.

YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Does anyone know if he would be eligible for scholarships or financial aide? since they are not allowed any other government programs on K1? What about his minor son. will he be able to attend a public school although he is disabled? he is 8 with cerebral palsy but has cognitive functioning.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You have to go to the college's financial aids offices and research the individual grant/scholarship/loan programs, many of them are only available to USC.

Public school for the child should not be an issue. However, again, you have to do research at the school level to see what programs are available.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i assume you are thinking of schools in your locale,

so I ask - what research have you done in your locale?

If'n it was me, with a computer having the internet access, I'd be all over the google,

selecting the colleges and universities that are nearby, copying down the registrar's phone numbers,

then using my telephone to contact the registrar's offices, asking these exact questions to them.

Why? there is no one answer to your queries, as all of this stuff varies by location.

If the K-1 visa holder truly cannot get in, suggest to find a plot of land and get busy with gardening (I'm a huge garden proponent, it fills the time and folks make new friends )

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

A free, public education will be provided for the child, for at least until age 18. That is US law.

College being the operative word.

09/27/14 Married :content:

12/03/14 Became a US citizen :star:

. .

02/25/15 130 Petition sent

02/27/15 NOA1 date :clock:

07/23/15 NOA2 date

08/03/15 Mailed to NVC

08/07/15 NVC Received

08/19/15 Case number assigned, submitted DS-261

08/20/15 Paid AOS bill

08/25/15 Received welcome letter

08/25/15 Sent AOS & IV package

08/31/15 DS-261 reviewed

08/31/15 AOS & IV scan date confirmed by Sup.

09/02/15 Received IV bill by email

09/03/15 Paid IV bill

09/09/15 Submitted DS-260

09/17/15 Case Completed @ NVC

10/06/15 Expedite Request sent to NVC

11/12/15 Contacted Sen. Marco Rubio for assistance with expedite by email

11/19/15 Expedite Approved

12/9/15 Medical

12/11/15 Interview (Approved)

12/14/15 CEAC Status changed to AP

12/15/15 CEAC Status Changed to Issued

12/18/15 Picked up Passport & booked hubby's ticket.

12/31/15 Ring in the New Years together after 4 years!!!! :dancing:

event.png

Timeline

i assume you are thinking of schools in your locale,

so I ask - what research have you done in your locale?

If'n it was me, with a computer having the internet access, I'd be all over the google,

selecting the colleges and universities that are nearby, copying down the registrar's phone numbers,

then using my telephone to contact the registrar's offices, asking these exact questions to them.

Why? there is no one answer to your queries, as all of this stuff varies by location.

If the K-1 visa holder truly cannot get in, suggest to find a plot of land and get busy with gardening (I'm a huge garden proponent, it fills the time and folks make new friends )

I assumed all colleges were the same when it comes to Immigrants and federal funding. but know there is a difference between Universities and Community College. which was why I inquired. I will do the research just thought maybe someone could answer if their spouse went to college and if they were eligible for funding. thanks anyway.. I am sure we can fill up his time with things he likes to do outside of gardening. but thanks for the suggestion at least until he starts working. Might be a gardening job who knows. :)

College being the operative word.

I was also inquiring about elementary school for his son as well. thanks :) so college and public school

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I assumed all colleges were the same when it comes to Immigrants and federal funding. but know there is a difference between Universities and Community College. which was why I inquired. I will do the research just thought maybe someone could answer if their spouse went to college and if they were eligible for funding. thanks anyway.. I am sure we can fill up his time with things he likes to do outside of gardening. but thanks for the suggestion at least until he starts working. Might be a gardening job who knows. :)

I was also inquiring about elementary school for his son as well. thanks :) so college and public school

Oh ok- For elementary school, you won't need an SSN.. they won't even ask for it most times.

For college- make sure you have the high school diploma & the actual transcripts with grades if he's in a science/medical field. Also get the results for CXC, CSEC, A-level, O level etc.. Sealed envelopes as they won't considered official if the envelope is open.

More than likely he will have to have them evaluated but the minimum that equates to a US high school diploma is 5 cxc passes of 3 or higher. Evaluation is about 80-100 bucks.

For scholarships Google "scholarships for illegal immigrants". I know he isn't illegal but that keyword automatically gives you results that won't require SSN. There are actually a lot but it depends on the state. I was recently doing research for a friend that's not exactly legal and found a few.

09/27/14 Married :content:

12/03/14 Became a US citizen :star:

. .

02/25/15 130 Petition sent

02/27/15 NOA1 date :clock:

07/23/15 NOA2 date

08/03/15 Mailed to NVC

08/07/15 NVC Received

08/19/15 Case number assigned, submitted DS-261

08/20/15 Paid AOS bill

08/25/15 Received welcome letter

08/25/15 Sent AOS & IV package

08/31/15 DS-261 reviewed

08/31/15 AOS & IV scan date confirmed by Sup.

09/02/15 Received IV bill by email

09/03/15 Paid IV bill

09/09/15 Submitted DS-260

09/17/15 Case Completed @ NVC

10/06/15 Expedite Request sent to NVC

11/12/15 Contacted Sen. Marco Rubio for assistance with expedite by email

11/19/15 Expedite Approved

12/9/15 Medical

12/11/15 Interview (Approved)

12/14/15 CEAC Status changed to AP

12/15/15 CEAC Status Changed to Issued

12/18/15 Picked up Passport & booked hubby's ticket.

12/31/15 Ring in the New Years together after 4 years!!!! :dancing:

event.png

He can not receive federal student aid until he receives his green card, other scholarships you have to research, but most of them are for USC or GC holders.

Timeline

Oh ok- For elementary school, you won't need an SSN.. they won't even ask for it most times.

For college- make sure you have the high school diploma & the actual transcripts with grades if he's in a science/medical field. Also get the results for CXC, CSEC, A-level, O level etc.. Sealed envelopes as they won't considered official if the envelope is open.

More than likely he will have to have them evaluated but the minimum that equates to a US high school diploma is 5 cxc passes of 3 or higher. Evaluation is about 80-100 bucks.

For scholarships Google "scholarships for illegal immigrants". I know he isn't illegal but that keyword automatically gives you results that won't require SSN. There are actually a lot but it depends on the state. I was recently doing research for a friend that's not exactly legal and found a few.

Do you know if you have to get the CXC Transcript from the head office in Barbados or you can get it from the school you sit the exams?

AOS Date Filed : 2015-05-27

Got rejection notice on May 29, 2015 for an incomplete application

Receive rejected application on June 6, 2015

Resubmit June 8, 2015

Delivered June 9, 2015

NOA Date : 2015-06-16

Bio. Appt. : 2015-07-06

EAD and AP Approved Date : 2015-08-14

Date Combo Card Received : 2015-08-21 (Received my card about 6hrs apart on the same day they sent an e-mail that they shipped my card).

Receive Potential Interview Waiver Letter: September 9, 2015 sigh!!
AOS Approved without interview 2015-10-08 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :star: 3 MONTHS AND 22 DAYS AFTER NOA1 (F)
(L)In God I Put My Trust :star:

I see you are kinda getting answers all over the place, but yeah, without knowing your area you won't get good answers. And of course, your fellow VJ'ers can't get the info that you wouldn't be able to search on your own. So for the child's public school, you are good. Enroll him as soon as possible and talk to the school that he will attend (based on which school district your address find's itself in) and ask about special needs requirements and programs. You will need to be informed about special transportation assignments and there may be additional options as well. A best friend of mine has a young son that is legally blind, and he gets special therapy from the school about three times a week to help him learn how to read on the enhancing equipment. You never know what's out there! Don't limit yourself to only the school - there may be other health and social programs available regardless of immigration status.

As for the college, you are more limited. He should be able to register as either a resident (often lower tuition) or out of state resident (often higher tuition), but he should be able to avoid the international student tuition (crazy high tuition). Try just applying and enrolling him in the local community college with just his US id card or drivers license. (I was able to do this when I moved into district to my community college, but was thinking I needed to prove district residency for at least a year. The year is a requirement, but I guess the license was enough.)

While I would encourage you to look into scholarships, he would not be eligible for federal loans (FAFSA) until he becomes "an eligible non-citizen"; which is "U.S. permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or "Green Card”) OR Conditional permanent resident (I-551C)". After you AOS, you may find yourself waiting for these things.

What we plan on doing, is enrolling him in US government and history classes, then some math classes while we wait on his foreign transcripts to be evaluated. He shouldn't need an SSN, but it will be easier to get that to the college come tax time and you need the Form 1098-T for the tuition you paid. As you wait, if he wants to attend a university later, apply soon after beginning community college. I just say that because if you apply to the school he wants, then they can begin the evaluation process too, and if any classes won't be accepted, he can take those at the college while you two wait for the conditional green card to be eligible for federal student loans.

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.