Cam&jada

Thoughts on choosing a the best sponsor for F-1 Student Visa

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback and thoughts regarding the student visa. As far as we have seen, it seems pretty cut and dry. Apply to the school to get the I-20, show that there are sufficient funds to pay for all of it (usually through a sponsor), and show that you have ties to return. Apply and pay the fees. Get interviewed. Hope for the best!

Our primary question is about choosing the sponsor. My sister-in-law would like to come the the US (from the Philippines) to study. She already has a marketing degree from the Philippines, but would love the chance to get another degree in the US. My wife and I are capable and willing to sponsor her, or she would also have the option of my parents sponsoring her. Both our financial situation and my parents' would be sufficient, but my parents' is going to be the better one of the two when showing the total funds available. So the question is, which of the two would be better to list as a sponsor, or does it even make much difference in increasing the odds that she gets accepted?

Secondary questions are the normal ones, such as if anybody else would like to share their experience in applying for a student visa and if they have advice that we may not be aware of. I am thinking the biggest issue will be her ties to returning home. Neither she nor her family there comes from the best situation, so convincing anyone she has strong ties will be tough. We would likely just be hoping for the best on that. Any small or big tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Quality course at a qua!ity university.

Obviously will not be cheap.

Is this a MBA?

I dot think it matters who finances it as long as they can afford it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Why?

She has an undergraduate degree?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Her degree over there (marketing) is providing very little professional opportunity. She is working at a call center that pays very little. With the chance to come here to study, network, and gain more experience, we're hoping her opportunities will grow.

Timeline

In the same field?

She will determine what field she will study as she moves along in the university. That's how it works in the U.S., as you aren't required to declare a major until after having started. I would guess she will major in something different than marketing.

Timeline

You work in the field, how common is it for undergraduates to repeat?

Sounds odd to me.

It's certainly not uncommon to double major. A graduate degree down the road would also be an option, but it's very competitive to get into those programs and the requirements needed to be competitive to be accepted would likely not be an option with transferring her schooling from the Philippines.

Timeline

My step son did a double major, but did them at the same time.

Anyway the logic of the situation is something the Consulate Officer will need to understand.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why don't she apply for an internship instead. Since she is a marketing graduate, she can join internship with a maximum of 18months. I was a hospitality graduate and had a paid internship in the US. It falls under J-1 visa (Exchange Visitor)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I was accepted as a student in the US for a F-1 visa for a second bachelor's degree, the agent was very strict about proving ties to Canada. Canada has a similar standard of living at the U.S. so I can only imagine how difficult it may be for someone coming from poorer country.

Secondly, when I went, I paid for school my self. Because of this, I did everything I could to have my transcripts evaluated and then transferred to the school I was attending. This allowed me to enter as a 'transfer' student rather than a 'new' student and cut 2 years off my program. This was because I was able to transfer many of my courses and thus not repeat them. However, I also had to declare a major. So you say that 'its not how it works in the US" - well, actually it can be. If she comes as a transfer student then the cost to you and your family may be significantly lower. Has your SIL talked to the International Student officer at the school she'd like to go to?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I know "it's not how it works in the US" but it would probably look way better to the person interviewing her if she has a clear goal of what she wants to do especially since she doesn't "come from the best situation". Otherwise it might just look like she is taking whatever she can, just to get out of her situation. They're pretty strict.

Excellent insight from everyone! Thanks. All very good points. I will look into the J-1 Visa, as that would actually be very much what her ultimate goal would be, with networking and getting experience in her field. And looking into transfering instead of starting new is also very much worth looking into.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am always so impressed with this board and how helpful people are!

Why don't she apply for an internship instead. Since she is a marketing graduate, she can join internship with a maximum of 18months. I was a hospitality graduate and had a paid internship in the US. It falls under J-1 visa (Exchange Visitor)

Angeliquersario,

I am more and more intrigued by this option. Do you mind sharing more about your experience and how you went about getting the internship?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.