sailorgal

URGENT! K-1 visa interview next Friday. Now have a serious doubt.

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello everyone

So I have my K-1 visa interview at Mumbai Consulate coming Friday, that is July 10. I have the entire paperwork ready but a few minutes back I had a talk with someone who has a B1 10 year validity visa and now I have some serious doubts.
For the proof of relationship part, I have taken several screen shots of my conversations with my fiance and his parents, our pictures together, have our engagement ceremony pictures and some more stuff.
I know I don't have my visa yet but my fiance still went ahead and got my ticket (for September) last month cause by the time I would have been done with the interview and had the visa the tickets would have become more expensive than they were last month. The screen shots of conversations I had with my fiance's parents have me telling them that he has brought my ticket and I am coming out there September 2nd. Me and his mom are also discussing about the wedding ceremony in the conversations. The screen shots of conversations I had with my fiance show us discussing which date we should pick for my travel and obviously some other general conversations.

Now this person who I talked to said I should remove any screen shots of conversations that say when exactly will I be travelling to the States, not carry a print out of my ticket with me and if they ask me about my travel plan I should say "nothing is concrete yet I will only decide once I have my visa"
Their reason being that if you tell them that you have already made travel plans then you would show that you haven't considered the visa process, that you have taken the process or the authorities for granted by already buying a ticket without a visa. They also said you could also come across as 'overconfident', again cause you have brought the ticket without the visa.

But I have read here over other forums how the Consular Officers ask for catering receipts, letter from a Minister or other 'concrete' wedding plans. So if having concrete wedding plans as these do not make a person appearing for the interview come across as overconfident or taking visa process for granted would buying tickets before getting a visa would? Should I remove any conversation that says when I am travelling to States?

And another doubt. In conversations screen shots with my fiance I have a few messages where we call each other hubby/wifey just out of love and there is one text where I say something and he says "I am fiercely proud of being your husband". We are not married but we just love calling each other that. So would it raise red flags if a Consular Officer reads hubby/wifey in our conversations and would that make them think that we are already married and pretending to be fiance? If that is so I will just go ahead remove those screen shots.

Thank you in advance for your help and appreciate your patience with my long question.

March 24, 2015: K1 petition mailed to Lewisville, TX via UPS

March 27, 2015: UPS tracking shows USCIS has received the petition

March 31, 2015: NOA1 notification received in email and text with USCIS receipt number (7 days after submitting the petition)

April 24, 2015: Case approved by USCIS (24 days after receiving NOA1)

May 1, 2015: NOA2 received in mail

May 14, 2015: Case getting processed at NVC

May 19, 2015: NVC processing done

May 24, 2015: Letter from NVC received (31 days after receiving NOA2) (case forwarded to consulate, interview location allotted)

May 25, 2015: I receive Packet 3 from United States Consulate General, Mumbai

May 28, 2015: Filled DS-160 form online, confirmation received and printed

June 1, 2015: Visa fees paid. Consular interview and OFC scheduled for 10 July, 2015

June 15, 2015: Medical examination

July 10, 2015: Visa interview at Mumbai Consulate. Visa approved!!

July 11, 13, 15, 2015: Case status on caec changed to 'Ready' on each mentioned date and case creation dates updated on each mentioned date
July 16, 2015: Case creation date updated, case status changed to 'Administrative Processing'
July 17, 2015: Case status updated to 'Issued' passport dispatched through BlueDart, DHL

July 20, 2015: Received passport with my visa on it and a sealed yellow envelope

September 2, 2015: POE Orlando, Florida

September 17, 2015: Courthouse marriage. We're married!

October 8, 2015: AOS, EAD and AP application submitted via UPS

October 19, 2015: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP received in mail

October 24, 2015: Civil marriage with families present. We're married, again!

October 27, 2015: Biometric notice received in mail

November 2, 2015: Biometrics done (walk-in at Orlando center) and RFE received in email for GC appliaction

January 7, 2016: EAD, AP approved (91 days after submitting the AOS application)

March 11, 2016: GC approved

May 6, 2020: Filed N400 online

May 7, 2020: Online receipt confirming USCIS received my case for N400 online (hard copy received in mail)

August 7, 2020: Online notification of biometrics reuse (hard copy received in mail)

August 14, 2020: Online notification for interview appointment (hard copy received in mail)

September 23, 2020: Naturalization interview, case approved, took oath, and just like that I am now a citizen of the United States!

Filed: Timeline

Hubbie wify is fine. But I don't think the ticket story would be a good idea. I had my interview on June 16, 2015 and I have been in administrative processing since then. CO asked me for my CV/resume. And I don't have one. So he asked me to go home and send it to them by email. Make sure to have a copy of your cv with yourself in your interview.

Cheers

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hubbie wify is fine. But I don't think the ticket story would be a good idea. I had my interview on June 16, 2015 and I have been in administrative processing since then. CO asked me for my CV/resume. And I don't have one. So he asked me to go home and send it to them by email. Make sure to have a copy of your cv with yourself in your interview.

Cheers

Thank you. And I have a few copies of my CV but it never occurred to me that they could ask for so I did not include it in my interview file. Now I update it and take it with me.

March 24, 2015: K1 petition mailed to Lewisville, TX via UPS

March 27, 2015: UPS tracking shows USCIS has received the petition

March 31, 2015: NOA1 notification received in email and text with USCIS receipt number (7 days after submitting the petition)

April 24, 2015: Case approved by USCIS (24 days after receiving NOA1)

May 1, 2015: NOA2 received in mail

May 14, 2015: Case getting processed at NVC

May 19, 2015: NVC processing done

May 24, 2015: Letter from NVC received (31 days after receiving NOA2) (case forwarded to consulate, interview location allotted)

May 25, 2015: I receive Packet 3 from United States Consulate General, Mumbai

May 28, 2015: Filled DS-160 form online, confirmation received and printed

June 1, 2015: Visa fees paid. Consular interview and OFC scheduled for 10 July, 2015

June 15, 2015: Medical examination

July 10, 2015: Visa interview at Mumbai Consulate. Visa approved!!

July 11, 13, 15, 2015: Case status on caec changed to 'Ready' on each mentioned date and case creation dates updated on each mentioned date
July 16, 2015: Case creation date updated, case status changed to 'Administrative Processing'
July 17, 2015: Case status updated to 'Issued' passport dispatched through BlueDart, DHL

July 20, 2015: Received passport with my visa on it and a sealed yellow envelope

September 2, 2015: POE Orlando, Florida

September 17, 2015: Courthouse marriage. We're married!

October 8, 2015: AOS, EAD and AP application submitted via UPS

October 19, 2015: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP received in mail

October 24, 2015: Civil marriage with families present. We're married, again!

October 27, 2015: Biometric notice received in mail

November 2, 2015: Biometrics done (walk-in at Orlando center) and RFE received in email for GC appliaction

January 7, 2016: EAD, AP approved (91 days after submitting the AOS application)

March 11, 2016: GC approved

May 6, 2020: Filed N400 online

May 7, 2020: Online receipt confirming USCIS received my case for N400 online (hard copy received in mail)

August 7, 2020: Online notification of biometrics reuse (hard copy received in mail)

August 14, 2020: Online notification for interview appointment (hard copy received in mail)

September 23, 2020: Naturalization interview, case approved, took oath, and just like that I am now a citizen of the United States!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi -

I am doing k1 visa as well and spoke to a lawyer in India who specializes in US visas in India. General suggestion is that the CO suspect that married couples file for K1. This is due to cultural reasons specific to India. So I would suggest removing any chat/transcript that indicates words like wife, spouse or husband. And in the interview if you have a ring - remove that as well.

I don't think ticket is necessary to show. In the interview if anything comes up - you can say you blocked a ticket.

Demonstrate you are aware of the process that you plan to marry in 90 days after landing.

Good luck - please share your interview experience. Chances are my fiancée will go to Mumbai Consulate as well.

Thanks,

01/31/2015 : 129F sent

02/04/2015 : NOA1

07/24/2015: RFE1

08/01/2015: Received paper mail RFE1

08/03/2015: Mailed response overnite

08/04/2015: Tracking showed TSC received

08/05/2015: TSC acknowledged that my RFE was received

08/14/2015: NOA2 approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I would consider taking out the husband part of the conversation. If they suspect you are married you will be denied. People on here have gotten into trouble because they called each other husband/wife, hubbie/wiffie.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

There is this world of AP you could enter I hope you will check with your fiancé and make sure the ticket is refundable or date that can be changed

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

warning on editing chat. They have access to your data and they will not like edited submissions.

Hi - Can you please explain more? Are you saying that they have access to emails/fb chats/google chats/whatsapp for K1 purposes regardless of what I submit? For example, I submit a partial list of whatsapp chat for proof of ongoing relationship and can they pull out my full list of chat and also chat from other social outlets like fb/google etc?

01/31/2015 : 129F sent

02/04/2015 : NOA1

07/24/2015: RFE1

08/01/2015: Received paper mail RFE1

08/03/2015: Mailed response overnite

08/04/2015: Tracking showed TSC received

08/05/2015: TSC acknowledged that my RFE was received

08/14/2015: NOA2 approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I would definitely remove the part about being glad to have him as your husband. I would be cautious with hubby/wifey stuff..... you probably have many pages of chat, why not just pick something examples that do not have hubby/wifey? Keep it simple.

As for your ring, if it's an engagement ring I would wear it. When my wife went for her k1 interview in New Delhi, they asked about if she had an engagement ring then they asked to see it. So if you have an engagement ring, wear it proudly. If you have a wedding band, I would leave that at home.

You have a great shot at being ready for September, but it's a risk. You can be in AP for a long time plus there's no guarantee you will get the visa. With that being said, I'm going to assume your fiance cannot get a refund for the tickets so you might as well keep them for now. If you have all your paperwork, do everything correctly, and can readily answer the questions they ask you there's a 90%+ chance you will be fine.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi - Can you please explain more? Are you saying that they have access to emails/fb chats/google chats/whatsapp for K1 purposes regardless of what I submit? For example, I submit a partial list of whatsapp chat for proof of ongoing relationship and can they pull out my full list of chat and also chat from other social outlets like fb/google etc?

What evidence has already been submitted to them? Are you bringing additional evidence that was not submitted with the application originally?

I don't think USCIS is going to use the NSA to see your internet communications.

Travelling to the USA and making wedding plans is normal for people who are engaged. They are not going to be offended that you are presuming your visa will be granted or something. I wish people would read on here before they made plans like this though - the visa process is very uncertain and no plans should be made until you have the visa in your hand.

Be careful here. They are going to ask you when your wedding date is, where your wedding will be, things like this. You do not want to get caught contradicting yourself. How do you avoid this? Tell the truth 100%. You have wedding plans and flight plans. Don't try to hide stuff... you don't want to appear sneaky. That is my advice...

edit: Sorry I forgot to address the husband/wife part. Probably a good idea to remove that and call him your fiance. I have heard interviewers ask "is your husband blah blah blah" and if you don't say "fiance, not husband" they get weird. Don't worry too much - just relax and be honest.

Edited by I love San Diego

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Don't edit but definitely do not submit entire conversations where you call each other husband and wife or you can easily be denied.

NEVER make definite travel plans until visa in hand but since you already booked a flight it doesn't matter if you let them know or not.

You can submit wedding plans, no problem with that except you may lose all your deposits if you aren't approved or go into AP, some embassies

like to see wedding plans.

As to what can they see in your chats and social media account, email etc....everything they want to but that doesn't mean that they will

or do it automatically. Anything you don't want seen online don't put it there is the best policy.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello everyone

So I have my K-1 visa interview at Mumbai Consulate coming Friday, that is July 10. I have the entire paperwork ready but a few minutes back I had a talk with someone who has a B1 10 year validity visa and now I have some serious doubts.

For the proof of relationship part, I have taken several screen shots of my conversations with my fiance and his parents, our pictures together, have our engagement ceremony pictures and some more stuff.

I know I don't have my visa yet but my fiance still went ahead and got my ticket (for September) last month cause by the time I would have been done with the interview and had the visa the tickets would have become more expensive than they were last month. The screen shots of conversations I had with my fiance's parents have me telling them that he has brought my ticket and I am coming out there September 2nd. Me and his mom are also discussing about the wedding ceremony in the conversations. The screen shots of conversations I had with my fiance show us discussing which date we should pick for my travel and obviously some other general conversations.

Now this person who I talked to said I should remove any screen shots of conversations that say when exactly will I be travelling to the States, not carry a print out of my ticket with me and if they ask me about my travel plan I should say "nothing is concrete yet I will only decide once I have my visa"

Their reason being that if you tell them that you have already made travel plans then you would show that you haven't considered the visa process, that you have taken the process or the authorities for granted by already buying a ticket without a visa. They also said you could also come across as 'overconfident', again cause you have brought the ticket without the visa.

But I have read here over other forums how the Consular Officers ask for catering receipts, letter from a Minister or other 'concrete' wedding plans. So if having concrete wedding plans as these do not make a person appearing for the interview come across as overconfident or taking visa process for granted would buying tickets before getting a visa would? Should I remove any conversation that says when I am travelling to States?

And another doubt. In conversations screen shots with my fiance I have a few messages where we call each other hubby/wifey just out of love and there is one text where I say something and he says "I am fiercely proud of being your husband". We are not married but we just love calling each other that. So would it raise red flags if a Consular Officer reads hubby/wifey in our conversations and would that make them think that we are already married and pretending to be fiance? If that is so I will just go ahead remove those screen shots.

Thank you in advance for your help and appreciate your patience with my long question.

man you did good do you knew or heard anything about k3 visa help

THANKS DEAR

Timeline

Don't edit things, just leave things out. Pick another conversation. They don't always go through social media but there has been cases where they have checked people's Facebook etc so be careful.

Timeline

I would definitely remove the part about being glad to have him as your husband. I would be cautious with hubby/wifey stuff..... you probably have many pages of chat, why not just pick something examples that do not have hubby/wifey? Keep it simple.

As for your ring, if it's an engagement ring I would wear it. When my wife went for her k1 interview in New Delhi, they asked about if she had an engagement ring then they asked to see it. So if you have an engagement ring, wear it proudly. If you have a wedding band, I would leave that at home.

You have a great shot at being ready for September, but it's a risk. You can be in AP for a long time plus there's no guarantee you will get the visa. With that being said, I'm going to assume your fiance cannot get a refund for the tickets so you might as well keep them for now. If you have all your paperwork, do everything correctly, and can readily answer the questions they ask you there's a 90%+ chance you will be fine.....

Some people use wedding band as engagement ring (some countries doesn't use extravagant engagement rings like they do in the states). As long as you don't show up with two bands which clearly shows you're married. And some embassies doesn't even look. I wore my engagement ring on my left hand and the wedding band he proposed with on my right hand. I don't even think she noticed I wore a ring at all. I guess that's a thing that differs from country to country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.