danielenglish

Help on filing the form DS-260. Thanks!!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have just finished to go through the DS-260 and read all the information I need to get from my wife.

I have now a couple of question that I hope you can help me with.

At some point in the DS-260 there is a question that says: "Have you attended any educational institutions at the secondary level or above?"

Do they mean high school by "educational institutions at the secondary level or above"?

If so, my wife is a pharmacist so she will provide information about the University she attended (start and finishing date, address and so forth) and therefore I am wondering whether or not she also has to provide information regarding the school she attended before Univeristy or the higher education includes the previous one so that it is not necessary?

The other question (somehow linked to the one above) is when they ask: "Are you a health care worker seeking to perform such work in the United States but have not yet received certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools or from an equivalent approved independent credentialing organization?"

Does she need to be considered a "health care worker" and then answer "Yes" to that question?

(sorry in advance if the question seems to be "useless" but I am not very familiar with the US system and I may be mistaken)

If so, which kind of explanation she must write in the box that will pop up below?

The very last question, what am I supposed to write when they ask: "Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social Security number and a card"?

I mean, of course I want my wife to have a SSN once she gets here but the question is: do I need to declare that now?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help with this!!!

Timeline

Ops, I have just remembered an other thing that is not perfect clear to me.

At the question "Have you been in the US" my wife will answer "Yes"; however, she was not in the US under a Visa because she has the italian citizenship and therefore could apply for the ESTA (visa waiver program).

Again, this seems to be a self explanatory question but just to be scrupulous: the ESTA is not considered Visa, isn't it? (and therefore she does not need to provide information on the Esta itself, right?).

Thank you again for your confirmation on that!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ops, I have just remembered an other thing that is not perfect clear to me.

At the question "Have you been in the US" my wife will answer "Yes"; however, she was not in the US under a Visa because she has the italian citizenship and therefore could apply for the ESTA (visa waiver program).

Again, this seems to be a self explanatory question but just to be scrupulous: the ESTA is not considered Visa, isn't it? (and therefore she does not need to provide information on the Esta itself, right?).

Thank you again for your confirmation on that!

Well the question is asking if she's been to the US with or without VISA. Yes... Should be your response

Hi everyone,

I have just finished to go through the DS-260 and read all the information I need to get from my wife.

At some point in the DS-260 there is a question that says: "Have you attended any educational institutions at the secondary level or above?"

Do they mean high school by "educational institutions at the secondary level or above"?

If so, my wife is a pharmacist so she will provide information about the University she attended (start and finishing date, address and so forth) and therefore I am wondering whether or not she also has to provide information regarding the school she attended before Univeristy or the higher education includes the previous one so that it is not necessary?

The other question (somehow linked to the one above) is when they ask: "Are you a health care worker seeking to perform such work in the United States but have not yet received certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools or from an equivalent approved independent credentialing organization?"

Does she need to be considered a "health care worker" and then answer "Yes" to that question?

(sorry in advance if the question seems to be "useless" but I am not very familiar with the US system and I may be mistaken)

If so, which kind of explanation she must write in the box that will pop up below?

The very last question, what am I supposed to write when they ask: "Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social Security number and a card"?

I mean, of course I want my wife to have a SSN once she gets here but the question is: do I need to declare that now?

You should start from high school up to her University.

Yes... Select YES for the SSN and use your USA address as the place where you want the SSN to be shipped to

Edited by franklinadamau

Timeline

Thank you for the answer franklinadamau.

Yes, you are right, that question must be answered with a "YES"; it is the following question that I am not sure about.

And in fact, immediately after, they ask you "have you ever been issued a US visa?"

So, if I am not mistaken, the ESTA is not considered a Visa (since it is also known as a "Visa vaiwer program"); is that right?

If so - where there is not going to be any place in the form to specify this - I am afraid they may think that she came in the US illegally (although, of course, she was perfectly legal!!)

Am I overthinking?

Thank you!

Would someone like to share its thoughts on this?

Thank you :)

Hello Danielenglish,

When I filled the ds260 I did not answer yes in regards to question about visa because I always travelled to US using ESTA and it is not considered as Visa. However, for the next question I answered yes because I have applied for F1 and it is was rejected. ESTA is waiver programme to allow citizens from European countries to travel to USA without a visa. I hope that helps and good luck.

Edited by Habel

F-2A Visa Journey

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Marriage (if applicable): 2012/12/27 (Happy day :) )

I-130 Sent : 2013-11-06

I-130 NOA1 : 2013-11-22

I-130 Approved : 2015-04-01 :) (Happy day after waiting for long time)

NVC Received : 2015-04-16 :) (Another joyful day)

Case Number and IIN Received date : 2015-04- 27 (Glory to the lord :) ):

AOS Scan Date: 2015-05-11 (I have been advised to wait 30 days from the date of scan to get case closed)

Case Completed at NVC : 2015-06-04 (Praise the lord almighty :)

Medical Booked: 2015-07-08- Completed

Interview Date: 2015-08-19 (Praise the lord almighty) :)

Interview Result : Visa approved :) Thanks lord

US Entry :

An approved ESTA is not a visa. It does not meet the legal or regulatory requirements to serve in lieu of a U.S. visa when a visa is required under U.S. law. Individuals who possess a valid visa will still be able to travel to the United States on that visa for the purpose for which it was issued.

F-2A Visa Journey

AOS Scan Date: 2015-05-11 (I have been advised to wait 30 days from the date of scan to get case closed)

US Entry :

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Can I change my wife middle name as my name on ds260 bczz my wife passport middle name was my name now ..

Did you petition her with father's middle name before? I belive you can change middle name on ds 260. When they asked about previous name used, you can put down with old name. When I petitioned my wife, I kept her married name from the beginning. Whatever name used in ds 260 will be on greencard and needs to be same on passport and you get same name on social security. You can notify nvc about name change. Wait to clear your confusion before filling ds260 because it is not easy to do correction on ds260 later on.

11/27/2013 - Priority Date

04/01/2015 - I-130 Approved

04/21/2015 - NVC received Case

04/29/2015 - DS261 filled

05/02/2015 - Case under CSPA review

06/04/2015 - Supervisor review Initiated-Wait 42 days

Your welcome and all the best of luck with the rest of the process.

Edited by Habel

F-2A Visa Journey

US Entry :

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Did you receive checklist from nvc for the ds260 ?

Timeline

Should I? :)

Well, let's hope everything is going fine!

Actually, your question makes me wondering about the form.

And in fact, I submitted the DS-260 exactly two weeks ago and have not got any aknowledgment of receipt, yet.

Therefore, my question is: am I supposed to receive any kind of aknowledgemnt from them?

If so, should I call the NVC and have them review the DS-260 on the phone or I just have to wait?

Thanks!

Edited by danielenglish

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Should I? :)

Well, let's hope everything is going fine!

Actually, your question makes me wondering about the form.

And in fact, I submitted the DS-260 exactly two weeks ago and have not got any aknowledgment of receipt, yet.

Therefore, my question is: am I supposed to receive any kind of aknowledgemnt from them?

If so, should I call the NVC and have them review the DS-260 on the phone or I just have to wait?

Thanks!

You will not receive any acknowledgement receipt from NVC. However, you can keep a copy of confirmation page just click in "sign in" at right hand comer on DS260 page.

Almost 3 weeks for me still i am waiting to hear good news from NVC as i have received checklist for DS 260 only.

At bottom line

we must wait 30 days for them to review.

Marriage: 10/10/2013.

I-130 Sent: 11/22/2013

I-130 NOA 1: 25/11/2013

NOA-T (Electronic Transfer notice to California Service Center): 24/03/2015

NOA-T (Hard Copy of Transfer notice received in mail): 31/03/2015

I-130 NOA2: 01.04.2015 (Approved)

NVC Received: 16 April 2015

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 27 April 2015

Pay AOS Bill: 30 April 2015

Send AOS / IV Package: 13 May 2015

Pay IV Bill: 08 May 2015

Scan Date: 18 May 2015

Checklist: 19 June 2015 [ Non-submission of DS260]

Submitted DS260: 08 July 2015

Case Completed at NVC: 08 Sep 2015

Interview Date: 05 Nov 2015

Interview Result: passed :dancing: :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.