idontknow123

Getting a divorce - Can he claim it was a fake marriage after we were married for 8 years?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

One popular thing is USC spouses always threaten to deport, report fraud, destroy GC... when things are not smooth as expected.

The government is aware of this unruly behavior and classifies it as extreme mental cruelty... and it is a serious crime! Edited by onye uwaoma

Filed: Timeline

Why some USCs think they are the ones who "gave" foreign spouses their green cards and therefore are the ones to "take them away" is beyond me. Unless there is actual fraud at the beginning of a relationship and NOT just resentment that the marriage fell apart, there is NEVER any backing to the threat of deportation. Not to mention such threats are a gross violation of trust/respect. IMHO, there is no recovering a relationship after those words have slipped out.

To the OP: I'm glad you are moving on. :)

I think that was true about redeeming the marriage after those threats... Edited by onye uwaoma

Hello,

So I've decided to file for divorce after things with my husband went south. He's become mean and spiteful, has threatened to have me fired (I don't know how he could but it's still scary) and now he just said he was going to claim our marriage wasn't real although it was an we were married for 8 years. I've been a resident since 2009 and I've had my 10 year green card since 2011.

Should I be worried about any sort of problems arising due to that? If it came to that I'm sure I could prove it was a real marriage although I hope it doesn't get to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only way he could possibly do anything to harm your permanent resident status would be if he had some kind of extraordinarily damning evidence against you. The USCIS is used to bitter exes calling them like "He/she married me just for a green card!" and they will not take any such claim seriously unless they're accompanied by a stockpile of proof. And by proof I mean the immigration equivalent of firm DNA evidence.

Put it this way - For the USCIS to raise an eyebrow, your husband would need to show beyond reasonable doubt that 1. Your eight years together were purely for immigration purposes, 2. You continued to dupe the poor man for 4 years following your 10 year green card.. And also 3. He had no idea (since he'd be in big trouble if he did).

He would need some incredible testimony..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.