xwind

What happens if you don't understand English at the port of entry?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A lot of responses wow, thank you so much for the encouragement!

I didn't know that the CBP officer can't re-adjudicate a visa (unless in extreme situations that is). This is very comforting to know. That would just be so ridiculous if you went through the entire visa process only to get denied at the airport because the CBP guy was having a bad day...

I also hadn't realized that they could find translators there, which would make sense as probably deal with cases like these all the time. I will be waiting for them outside of customs so in the worst case they could page me too. I guess I was worrying too much.

What is this "secondary" that sometimes people go through but not everyone does? Is this like if the officer has doubts about you then they send you to a second person to look at your papers?

12-01-2014: Sent I-129F package via FedEx

12-03-2014: Package arrived at TSC

12-08-2014: Check cashed

12-12-2014: NOA1 hard copy

01-23-2015: USCIS status: Case was Approved

01-30-2015: NOA2 hard copy

02-02-2015: USCIS sent K1 package to NVC

02-10-2015: NVC received K1 package

02-11-2015: Date that NVC supposedly assigned case number

02-18-2015: Called NVC and asked for case number

02-23-2015: Paid MRV Fee

03-02-2015: Scheduled USEM interview appointment

03-02-2015: NVC letter received

03-09-2015: Medical interview

04-23-2015: USEM interview, got 221g email, CEAC status: Immigrant AP

04-28-2015: CFO Seminar, sent 221g response

04-29-2015: USEM received 221g response

04-30-2015: CEAC status date updated

06-17-2015: CEAC status: Non-Immigrant Ready

06-27-2015: CEAC status: Non-Immigrant AP

07-01-2015: Visa in hand! (CEAC still AP lol)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

many times K-1 and CR-1 visa holders go through secondary,

to pick up the visa packet,

get new biometrics done,

and new photo...

this becomes part of the arrival record with CBP, and the visa packet gets sent out to the right place.

secondary inspection also handles criminals and escapees and finds ppl who has 'deportation orders' in place.

don't sweat secondary, this trip, aye? it's normal. and I'm right about this 'non-readjudication for K-1 visa holders'. What some people read, then get confused on, is tourist visa holders, B-1 and B-2, who have a pattern of entry into the USA, getting denied at the border for 1 or more reasons. Remember, to get a tourist visa, one has to prove up (by law) lack of immigrant intent. Multiple entries over some time span with long durations of stay get sketchy, the CBP goons are trained to see the patterns on the computer and get itchy to catch these hooligans. Yer lass is not one of the hooligans, and she's not coming in on a B1/B2 visa, so relax, aye? A B1/B2 can be turned around, the CBP goons are within the law to do extra stuff inside of secondary inspection. They are NOT allowed to do extra stuff on a K-1 visa holder, as that smacks of an attempt to re-adjudicate the K-1 visa, and these goons do NOT have the power (by law) to do this. Don't confuse the two visa designations, or I call yer Mom, complain to her.

after writing my post to you, i remembered the easiest way to get through the line:

Whilst on the plane, make some new bilingual friends, they will help her through the lines after de-planing.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Actually at POE they usually do ask at least a few questions. They asked my husband my name, DOB and the date we were married, pretty simple questions, but he is fluent in English. We have all seen and heard horror stories here of people being pulled into secondary, it is rare, but it happens. Most likely your wife will be fine, but I would call ahead to make sure they have a translator ahead of time.

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

One thing you might want to do is to provide her with a letter to give to the CBP officer at passport control. The letter states that she doesn't speak English, what language she does speak, what visa she is coming in on, and if there is any questions to contact you. My wife did that once for her parents when they took the train into Canada. They don't speak any English or French. The Canadian officer reviewed the letter, stamped their passport, and then called my wife to verify and to let her know that he let them enter Canada.

What you have to remember is even though most government interactions are done in English, there is no official language in the US.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.