Mr. Big Dog

No, Polygamy Isn’t the Next Gay Marriage

86 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, there's an exception for Muslims in the Philippines. The link I provided spells that out. It also spells out that generally, polygamy is neither legal nor accepted. Muslims make up a mere 5% of the population in the Philippines which means that for the vast majority polygamy is indeed illegal.

K? Understand now?...

Hold that thought, I have to go work now.

I Shall Return and when I do I will destroy you with fact

K?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

So to be a complete butt about it... Take out the abuses that exist (welfare fraud, dropping off boys into the homeless areas when they reach late teens, marrying off young girls as rewards, etc) and what is the problem? I think Polygamy or some sort of multi-couple union type thingy may be a distant future battleground but not in my lifetime.

I am curious about what the next big change will be (and please anti-gay marriage people, lets move on to the next thing, this one is over).. My vote for what is next:

#1 Marijuana legalization (California, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, Maine, and Missouri set to vote on it in 2016)

#2 The death penalty

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

So to be a complete butt about it... Take out the abuses that exist (welfare fraud, dropping off boys into the homeless areas when they reach late teens, marrying off young girls as rewards, etc) and what is the problem? I think Polygamy or some sort of multi-couple union type thingy may be a distant future battleground but not in my lifetime.

I am curious about what the next big change will be (and please anti-gay marriage people, lets move on to the next thing, this one is over).. My vote for what is next:

#1 Marijuana legalization (California, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Arizona, Nevada, Maine, and Missouri set to vote on it in 2016)

#2 The death penalty

The U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision last Monday, just declared that states can continue killing criminals on death row.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Timeline

The U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision last Monday, just declared that states can continue killing criminals on death row.

So one vote away...

So one vote away...

Unfortunately, it's the Notorious RBG (Ginsberg) who is most likely leaving the soonest. If Dems win the presidency, it's status quo in a future death penalty SCOTUS vote. If Repugs win (may the sky God intervene and prevent from happening) the White House, an eventual death penalty vote may increase the margin in favor.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Timeline

#2 The death penalty

No, not a future battleground. It's the past. We've moved on. Read the OP piece.

Timeline

Unfortunately, it's the Notorious RBG (Ginsberg) who is most likely leaving the soonest. If Dems win the presidency, it's status quo in a future death penalty SCOTUS vote. If Repugs win (may the sky God intervene and prevent from happening) the White House, an eventual death penalty vote may increase the margin in favor.

Look at the views on gay marriage ten years ago. Huge changes only come once every ten to twenty years. I think this will be one of them.

Edited by OnMyWayID

Timeline

No, not a future battleground. It's the past. We've moved on. Read the OP piece.

I knew several closeted Polygamists growing up (Mormon offshoots) and had friends in school with more than one "mom".. I know several now (couples living with a "roommate") that do it for non-religious reasons.. It is not as uncommon as people think. They will be coming out of the closet at some point.

Why so hostile to the idea?

Look at the views on gay marriage ten years ago. Huge changes only come once every ten to twenty years. I think this will be one of them.

I agree. There's a good chance that capital punishment (already abolished in 19 states) will be abolished across the nation. I'm less certain that this will happen in my lifetime than I was with the marriage equality issue but the odds of my seeing this happen are not all that bad. As a nation, we're in really odd company with this issue.

I knew several closeted Polygamists growing up (Mormon offshoots) and had friends in school with more than one "mom".. I know several now (couples living with a "roommate") that do it for non-religious reasons.. It is not as uncommon as people think. They will be coming out of the closet at some point.

Because it is not compatible with modern, democratic society. Again, the OP piece really makes it very clear.

Timeline

Because it is not compatible with modern, democratic society. Again, the OP piece really makes it very clear.

You may be right.. I am not talking about in the classical definition - Look at a trend in new homes being built in the last few years with duel masters, they are here now and in the shadows... Like I said probably not in my lifetime, but another 50-75 years of societal evolution who knows where we will be. Anyway I know we are going round and round on this now

I am going to add to my list:

legalized prostitution.

You may be right.. I am not talking about in the classical definition - Look at a trend in new homes being built in the last few years with duel masters, they are here now and in the shadows... Like I said probably not in my lifetime, but another 50-75 years of societal evolution who knows where we will be. Anyway I know we are going round and round on this now

legalized prostitution.

Prostitution should be legalized and regulated. They've done this in much of Europe ages ago. Heck, in Germany, Austria and Switzerland employees in the horizontal business have unions.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

And they should hire lawyers and file lawsuits and follow the legal process like everyone else if they feel so strongly about polygamy. The only caveat is that with polygamy there should also come polyandry, for after all, it would be unfair that women should be denied their right to multiple husbands.

It is already legal in a few states.

legalized prostitution.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

So which is it? American citizen like you can't own property there or you bought a house there? These two statements don't reconcile.

I thought the deal was you had to give the dad a boat. I learned that on VJ.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que