Not a Tailor

Teacher accused of isolating atheist child now being sued for violating his constitutional rights

32 posts in this topic

Most of my family practices Buddhist beliefs. My teens grew up in a theological manner based on knowledge of each religion. My daughter is Christian; we take her to church and gave her that choice. The church we attend is very welcoming with all of us knowing our beliefs. Buddhists only believe in respect to any other belief and the knowledge that any belief is considered. She also goes with us to meditate at our temple but talks to the other kids in the gardens while we are inside. Coming from living in Italy to the south here in the US (I am originally from NY) I was kinda shocked at how much influence Christianity has and how any other viewpoint is really just covered or shown to be bad (there is a sign in Gainesville on a highway with a large picture of Darwinism and a large X through it stating you should only walk with God). Religion is talked about even at work and once I had to calm the temper of a co worker screaming at me that I was an abomination that worshiped false Gods (this is not true-Buddha is one whom reached enlightenment; the buddha statue we have is a reminder of the original suffering of the first true destined Buddha-Sidhartha. The words of meditation are key words of love and rules of how to keep that with us. They are vows to ourselves. We truthfully study even the bible and teachings of Christianity). We believe in a path to enlightenment) when I never discuss my religious beliefs; it was discovered from another co-worker that I had talked to whom was aetheist.

We had a lot of problems in the schools here (my 18 year old is part of the lgbt group-again never was a problem at all in italy). Finally ended up finishing his schooling with a ged however even my daughter was bullied, and after hitting walls with the police down here, I pulled her to finish home school. Even home school groups are Christian based here and won't welcome us. We did find a secular one that is almost 2 hours away. While the teachers may not go as far as this one I would definitely say the systems have their way to advocate Christianity in a very creative way if the local authorities are on board.

this. yes. it is absolutely insane. and this is why i think it is very important, if you are trying to raise a child to explore their own spirituality without assigning a 'correct' religious path, to prepare them for the reactions of their peers in a realistic way.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I wanted to really emphasize I was speaking of new experiences that are very wrong here in the south. I think this starts with an extreme view in religious beliefs; not how skilled a teacher is. I worked for the public school system for various schools and grades for over 15 years up north; not as a teacher but as a school bus driver. I had first hand experience with some really great teachers that went above and beyond for any of the kids with any background. There was frustration from the best of them over their hands being tied and the pay. My 'kids' on the bus (all 220 per day-4 schools, round trip) did not keep secret the problems and the great teachers. Many of those kids studied all the way home or would work on fun assignments with some real creative angles to get enthusiasm from these kids. Many got with me personally when they didn't have to for some problems happening before, after and at home or even what i wanted to address on the bus and they supported. Some didn't and I would classify not great teachers for not caring.

Also wanted to add that you would be very surprised how intelligent and logical a second grader can be about what they believe and how strong they will advocate it or their family at that time. Each person has the right, as does each family, to practice their own religious beliefs in private and without censure. It's gotten to the point where if children are not Christian in a school mainly grouped as Christian children that, no matter how private they wish to be, at one point it will be discussed and they will be forced to defend their beliefs against the group in any social setting. My son lost many friends before leaving the school for this very reason; even ones that supported him, when in a group at school speaking of the bible, they couldn't maintain support in that setting.

The skills of the teacher aren't really relevant and not discussed here; frankly the school itself is really giving her a raw deal in putting her as the scapegoat. You can't tell me no one else knew about this for those days outside the classroom. She is their employee and this needs to be addressed in the school system itself.