Ban Hammer

$15 Minimum Wage Advocacy Group Posts Facebook Job Listing That Pays $12 An Hour

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The reality today is that no matter how hard you work, for many employers there is no pay raise in retail. Period. They pay what they have to by law and that is it. That's the reality. And it most certainly extends beyond retail.

It's a true story, but even if they were available, how would you have a chance at it when you start your month 11 dollars in the hole? I'm so lucky my wife has no student debt. SO lucky. Otherwise... we'd be so screwed.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The reality today is that no matter how hard you work, for many employers there is no pay raise in retail. Period. They pay what they have to by law and that is it. That's the reality. And it most certainly extends beyond retail.

Nor should there be pay raises in retail, Maybe commission to reward one for hard work.

We need workers in the USA and we there are plenty of people who are sheep and enjoy working for others and making money for them.

We have leaders and followers in the USA, and we need the followers..........

Timeline

If life is not fair, how is it that you believe working hard is going to be rewarded? Most working Americans, work hard, and yet few really have a lifestyle, I'm all that envious of.

It must be the neighbor hood you live in.

Move up to an upscale neighborhood and take a morning walk. Notice the people living in 4000 to 5000 square feet house, and the nice landscaped lawns.

Timeline

Is American education really this bad????

It probably the Gold Standard of the world.

Look at Mexico, the illegals are coming into USA like flies for the free education, I know about 20 guys from Mexico I don't think one of them have a high school diploma.

Get a US college diploma and you can go all over the world and work, and get paid more than someone with a degree from another country..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Look at Mexico, the illegals are coming into USA like flies for the free education, I know about 20 guys from Mexico I don't think one of them have a high school diploma.

Get a US college diploma and you can go all over the world and work, and get paid more than someone with a degree from another country..

Four shore.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

This is what I don't get, the American system is behind when it to comes to elementary and high school but the college system is second to none. How does that work?

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: Timeline

You funny. :rofl:

Timeline

Nor should there be pay raises in retail, Maybe commission to reward one for hard work.

We need workers in the USA and we there are plenty of people who are sheep and enjoy working for others and making money for them.

So basically what you are saying is that 'not everyone can get ahead, no matter what they do'. You do realize that retail is a HUGE industry and that it screws people over so that they cannot search for other work or upgrade their skills? Should people live on welfare while they try to find something better than retail? Is that what you're saying?

NO ONE wants to shop somewhere the workers get commission compared to one they don't--commissioned salespeople are high pressure and obnoxious. That's literally why used car salesmen have the reputation they do as being jerks.

Are you saying that only people with a certain personality, those who make good leaders, should be able to make a living based on their hard work?

It must be the neighbor hood you live in.

Move up to an upscale neighborhood and take a morning walk. Notice the people living in 4000 to 5000 square feet house, and the nice landscaped lawns.

So everyone should want a ridiculously huge house and a grassy green lawn? I rather hate that idea, myself. My in-laws live in a house so large that I literally lost count of the bathrooms. Their lawns are gorgeous. Only three people live there. I am disgusted by their home. It's a waste of money and resources. Grass lawns are terrible for the environment and contribute very, very little towards helping our carbon footprint or preserving clean water. Not only that, you have to CLEAN a house that large. No, I would much rather live in a home that's just big enough for my family. Easier to keep tidy. I'd like raised vegetable gardens rather than lawns--and most of the fancy expensive neighbourhoods, their homeowners' associations won't let you have vegetable gardens instead of lawns.

A US diploma has perceived value internationally, sure. Unfortunately, within the US, so many people have them that they have almost no value, which is why my wife is in grad school. You basically have to have a graduate degree to put you ahead of the curve. Just a regular college diploma is effectively the new high school diploma. Market's flooded and it generally means you're in massive debt.

And, interestingly, anywhere that pays decently wants a credit check to make sure that you have good credit, which you will fail to have if your bank account is a negative every month BEFORE any emergencies or illnesses or extras.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Was there supposed to be a point to your incoherent ramble? I'd say it is ever more clear that the "gold standard" has let someone down.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The thing that I always question is the aftermath of governments setting a wage floor in the economy. How many people will lose their jobs if the small business owner or big corporation can no longer afford the price of labor? How much will prices increase leaving those making minimum wage in the same boat as before (I.e. Who really pays for the cost of labor)? How much automation, or technology will be brought in to eliminate or minimize workers (automated check-out, or grills)? I understand why unions are pushing this as many of their contractual wages are tied to the minimum wage, so they are looking at an increase to their member's wages and the associated union dues.

This thread started out about a debate showing a union backed community organizing group starting an employee out at less than 15/hour with an increase to 15/hour if you decide to stay or they decide to keep you 90 days. This is quite common with unions, we have a big teacher's union in Michigan that dumped its high cost unionized office staff a few years ago for lower cost non-union workers. This just shows that most unions operate the same way any corporation of business operates.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I still have a tendency to bag my own groceries, despite there being employees to do that, too ingrained I guess.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The thing that I always question is the aftermath of governments setting a wage floor in the economy. How many people will lose their jobs if the small business owner or big corporation can no longer afford the price of labor? How much will prices increase leaving those making minimum wage in the same boat as before (I.e. Who really pays for the cost of labor)? How much automation, or technology will be brought in to eliminate or minimize workers (automated check-out, or grills)? I understand why unions are pushing this as many of their contractual wages are tied to the minimum wage, so they are looking at an increase to their member's wages and the associated union dues.

This thread started out about a debate showing a union backed community organizing group starting an employee out at less than 15/hour with an increase to 15/hour if you decide to stay or they decide to keep you 90 days. This is quite common with unions, we have a big teacher's union in Michigan that dumped its high cost unionized office staff a few years ago for lower cost non-union workers. This just shows that most unions operate the same way any corporation of business operates.

Re: your first paragraph--I guess my question is this: When a minimum wage worker, before buying a single, solitary luxury item, is unable to make ends meet with their wages, even with a room-share and not their own apartment, who is subsidizing the deficit?

Is a business actually paying the price of labour, now, at minimum wage, or are they relying on taxpayer subsidies to keep their workers alive?

March 13, 2014 Married!

In the 1990s, the minimum wage was raised - in several steps - from 3.35/hr to 5.15/hr. And increase of more than 50% over that decade. Based on the tired old line of - raising the minimum wage will mean job losses - the 1990s must have been a decade of lost jobs. Only it wasn't. Quite the opposite is the case - that decade saw more jobs created than any other in recent history.

And that's not just here. They had the same debate in Germany when they introduced a wage floor this year. None of the dark clouds that were prophesized by the business lobby came to pass. Unemployment there is at its lowest in more than a quarter century. Never did they have employment gains in the winter - except this winter when the wage floor became effective.

Spare me this "we can't pay people fair wages" garbage.