Unidentified

How to not lose my valid US driver's license

37 posts in this topic

Most DMV's want you to get your name changed within 30 days of marriage/official name change.

BUT

I'm USC but I waited almost 6 years to get my last name changed, I even did it after a divorce that caused the name change in the first place LOL. Generally as long as you have all the paperwork, you're fine. I really never bothered to change it until I was petitioning for this visa, if I ever needed to show my identification, I wanted my legal name to match what I'm putting on those papers. I didn't have a good reason to change it, so I didn't until now. LOL

If you're ever asked, all you have todo is say my maiden name is on there, I've yet to be turned away by saying that, and I was a military spouse and used that as my DL lol.

Now, do I recommend it. No, it's always good to do things the way you're SUPPOSE too, but at the same time, I'm pretty confident trying to change it quickly will cause more problems than anything.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Because I like be done with things and get things out of the way. Plus I also thought that it would complicate things as I also want to get a motorcycle license but apparently I have a whole year to get it added to my license.

Adding a cycle endorsement definitely complicates things. If your state is anything like Michigan, you would most likely need to go to the SoS or DMV a few times to work everything out. I would suggest just keeping your current DL in your maiden name right now. Do the AOS/AP/EAD and SSC in your married name then go to the DMV with that card in your married name and add the cycle endorsement. Your new DL will most likely only be valid for the time of the immigration card you use (one or two years). I know this may mean multiple trips to the DMV but if you want to keep in good standing that is what you might have to do.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If you mean the DMV website than that would only be helpful if I was at least a legal resident.

I'm sorry, I had forgotten I had asked about this before. Blame it on way too much to think about during the last few days in Sweden.

But I remember now, and I guess I just couldn't believe that something like that would be legal. If you tried that here and you had, on purpose, neglected to change your name on the driver's license it would not be accepted.

I guess I'll just walk over there and ask ones I get there otherwise I'll just not update my name for now.

Thank you!

It is NOT illegal in any state to drive under a maiden name. Who said that? LOL

Edited by Expat1

Yeah it's not at all. All you simply have to say is that is your maiden name, and you just haven't changed it yet. I've never had anyone question it when I had my maiden name on mine for 6 years, not a police officer, shoot not even when I filed for divorce, doctors appointments, police officers on army bases, nothing. Your maiden name doesn't become an illegal name once you change your last name, it becomes an alias.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Because I like be done with things and get things out of the way. Plus I also thought that it would complicate things as I also want to get a motorcycle license but apparently I have a whole year to get it added to my license.

I also like to be done with things, but I would prefer to deal with the RMV only once (and not risk getting a licence with a sooner expiration date than the one I have in hand, but that is just me...)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Expat1,

The "illegal" issued was mentioned by the OP in another forum in which she asked the same thing and I told her to keep her license as it is. She told me NO since it is illegal to do so, I told her it doesn't make sense to be illegal but I guess she was just being concerned about doing things the way she believes is the right way.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Most DMV's want you to get your name changed within 30 days of marriage/official name change.

BUT

I'm USC but I waited almost 6 years to get my last name changed, I even did it after a divorce that caused the name change in the first place LOL. Generally as long as you have all the paperwork, you're fine. I really never bothered to change it until I was petitioning for this visa, if I ever needed to show my identification, I wanted my legal name to match what I'm putting on those papers. I didn't have a good reason to change it, so I didn't until now. LOL

If you're ever asked, all you have todo is say my maiden name is on there, I've yet to be turned away by saying that, and I was a military spouse and used that as my DL lol.

Now, do I recommend it. No, it's always good to do things the way you're SUPPOSE too, but at the same time, I'm pretty confident trying to change it quickly will cause more problems than anything.

Then I'm definitely worrying about nothing when it comes to not changing my name. Here in Sweden it's a bit harsher I think. Before the name change did you have a copy of your marriage license with you to prove that that was your maiden name or something?

Adding a cycle endorsement definitely complicates things. If your state is anything like Michigan, you would most likely need to go to the SoS or DMV a few times to work everything out. I would suggest just keeping your current DL in your maiden name right now. Do the AOS/AP/EAD and SSC in your married name then go to the DMV with that card in your married name and add the cycle endorsement. Your new DL will most likely only be valid for the time of the immigration card you use (one or two years). I know this may mean multiple trips to the DMV but if you want to keep in good standing that is what you might have to do.

Good Luck!

That's what I was worried about: that I'd end up with a short date on my license. I'll just wait until later then :)

Expat1,

The "illegal" issued was mentioned by the OP in another forum in which she asked the same thing and I told her to keep her license as it is. She told me NO since it is illegal to do so, I told her it doesn't make sense to be illegal but I guess she was just being concerned about doing things the way she believes is the right way.

Why don't you ask me what I believe instead of talking over my head?

Timeline

If you are currently residing back in your home country,

on what visa were you granted DL until August 2016.

I'm just wondering if that DL is really valid?

First two were on J1, this one I got through my F1 visa. I've been out of school since 2013 and in 2014 cops ran my license without issues so I think I'm good.

First two were on J1, this one I got through my F1 visa. I've been out of school since 2013 and in 2014 cops ran my license without issues so I think I'm good.

In most states, you have thirty days to advise them of your change of address, when did you do it?

Timeline

In most states, you have thirty days to advise them of your change of address, when did you do it?

Change address when? I've done that more than once at different stages during my stay in the US :P

Timeline

When you left the USA, that was a change of address... Or are you currently living in the same state?

Don't know if it effects anything over there but I did let Sweden know I'm back in the country. If that doesn't count than I am still registered at my fiance's place where I'm still receiving mail. That's the address I used while I was studying.

And like I said the cops ran my license last year (after I had let Sweden know I was back) and everything was okay.

Don't know if it effects anything over there but I did let Sweden know I'm back in the country. If that doesn't count than I am still registered at my fiance's place where I'm still receiving mail. That's the address I used while I was studying.

And like I said the cops ran my license last year (after I had let Sweden know I was back) and everything was okay.

Maybe it was ok because you didn't advise your state RMV/DMV you moved? Oh well, I would call them and let them know because I feel it's the honest thing to do. What you'll decide to do is obviously up to you.

Timeline

Maybe it was ok because you didn't advise your state RMV/DMV you moved? Oh well, I would call them and let them know because I feel it's the honest thing to do. What you'll decide to do is obviously up to you.

So first you tell me I should not be honest and not tell them I have changed my name until later so I can keep my license and now I should be honest and tell them to they can take it back? :P And why would I call them when I'll be back at the same address in 14 days?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.