JohnR!

Supreme Court rules states must allow same-sex marriage

252 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

In Texas you still can't get married in my city or county of Collin and the the county next to me Denton.

They passed a law last week in Texas if a clerk does not feel it right to issue a same sex license then it's there right.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20150626-denton-county-clerk-awaits-guidance-fron-da-on-issuing-licenses.ece

These dimwit county clerks are in violation of the US Constitution. You should have real Americans in office. Americans that respect the Constitution. But you're in Texas so probably not.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

These dimwit county clerks are in violation of the US Constitution. You should have real Americans in office. Americans that respect the Constitution. But you're in Texas so probably not.

Texas passed a few laws recently that allows citizens or business not to have to deal with gay marriage because of their religious conviction.

And this also applies to state workers.......

Texas passed a few laws recently that allows citizens or business not to have to deal with gay marriage because of their religious conviction.

lol, it's like texas is trying to embody that old obama quote about clinging to guns n religion. this must be a real scary time for yall. (F)

believe it or not there are folks in texas who are quite happy with the ruling, and loathe abbott

Timeline

lol, it's like texas is trying to embody that old obama quote about clinging to guns n religion. this must be a real scary time for yall. (F)

believe it or not there are folks in texas who are quite happy with the ruling, and loathe abbott

So you live in Texas?

Abbott was our Attorney General and just rode in on Perry's coat tails.

I would say only about 3% of the US population is gay

I personally think government needs to stay out of marriage. Leave it up to the citizens of the states

So you live in Texas?

I personally think government needs to stay out of marriage. Leave it up to the citizens of the states

no but i have friends and family who live there.

and now that three percent (or whatever the number actually is) can get married. the decision is made, debate is over.

Timeline

no but i have friends and family who live there.

and now that three percent (or whatever the number actually is) can get married. the decision is made, debate is over.

I live in Frisco, they can't get married in my city or county.

So your friends and family are gay or supports gays?

Filed: Timeline

LOL - the state can pass whatever it wants. The SCOTUS invalidated all laws and state Constitutional amendments that stood in the way of same sex couples getting married. The SCOTUS found that those state laws and state constitutional amendments are not compatible with the Constitution of the United States of America and thus invalid. The SCOTUS basically sent a big F U to Texas and others.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

An unfortunate way to accomplish what should have been done through legislation, but we are there. Congratulations to those affected by this decision.

It's the way it's always been with changes to marriage. There might STILL be state bans on interracial marriage if the Supreme Court hadn't decided Loving.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I am sure there are many gays who would not want to deal with religious bigots based on their personal convictions too. LOL...

Incidentally, the SCOTUS ruling prohibits any State of Government employees from discrimination. The TX bigotry law can't apply to them.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

In Texas you still can't get married in my city or county of Collin and the the county next to me Denton.

They passed a law last week in Texas if a clerk does not feel it right to issue a same sex license then it's there right.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20150626-denton-county-clerk-awaits-guidance-fron-da-on-issuing-licenses.ece

The DA evidently told her to issue the licenses, because a couple of hours later, she claimed that the vendor who generates the necessary forms was the problem as they had not yet updated the forms.

“We need to address the applications themselves and make sure those are in compliance with the Family Code,” Luke said.

“We will have to adjust the software system itself,” she said.

By Friday evening, Luke said she anticipated her office would be prepared to be able to issue licenses as early as Monday.

In a statement released earlier in the day, Luke maintained that she has no intention of defying the court’s decision. Requirements on the application for a marriage license are both specific and state-mandated, the statement says. The forms cannot be altered in any way, per legal statutes, she said.

This applies to all offices that can issue licenses in Denton County, which include Denton, satellite offices in Cross Roads and Carrollton, and justice of the peace offices in The Colony and Lewisville.

She said her intent is to issue licenses for same-sex couples.

“I’m going to follow the law as I swore to do.”

Source

And this law is unconstitutional and the ruling of the Supreme Court will be upheld. We WILL be vindicated.

So you live in Texas?

If the government stayed out of marriage, then you wouldn't be able to marry women of non-white races, VOL. Or do you think that Loving was a mistake and that decision should have been left up to the citizenry of Virginia, too?

LOL - the state can pass whatever it wants. The SCOTUS invalidated all laws and state Constitutional amendments that stood in the way of same sex couples getting married. The SCOTUS found that those state laws and state constitutional amendments are not compatible with the Constitution of the United States of America and thus invalid. The SCOTUS basically sent a big F U to Texas and others.

I was at two separate rallies last night celebrating. The message was 'Tomorrow we work for the rights we don't have--employment non-discrimination, housing non-discrimination, trans protections, People of Colour protections--but tonight, we feast! Also YOU Texas, you FAILED and we WON!'

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Timeline

The DA evidently told her to issue the licenses, because a couple of hours later, she claimed that the vendor who generates the necessary forms was the problem as they had not yet updated the forms.

Negative

I live in Collin County , bordering Denton. They didn't issue gay marriage license there either.......

Timeline

Didn't know you were a worshiper of the SCOTUS.

Here is a good one from the SCOTUS for you to chew on

Dred Scott v. Sandford, 60 U.S. 393 (1857), was a landmark decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court held that African Americans, whether enslaved or free, could not be American citizens and therefore had no standing to sue in federal court,[2][3] and that the federal government had no power to regulate slavery in the federal territories acquired after the creation of the United States

Timeline

Negative

I live in Collin County , bordering Denton. They didn't issue gay marriage license there either.......

So six counties, total, out of 254 counties in Texas, is the largest number I can find. Why, I do declare, it does appear that the number of serious objectors in marriage-license-offering Texas government positions is just 2-3% (my calculations get 2.3%, to be precise). They seem to be an extreme minority, just like homosexuals. Surely you support trampling THEIR rights, like you want to trample mine?

Isn't it a glorious day, to wake up knowing that law-breaking bigotry in the state of Texas has dwindled to gay old levels?

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

Didn't know you were a worshiper of the SCOTUS.

Here is a good one from the SCOTUS for you to chew on

Dred Scott v. Sandford, 60 U.S. 393 (1857), was a landmark decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court held that African Americans, whether enslaved or free, could not be American citizens and therefore had no standing to sue in federal court,[2][3] and that the federal government had no power to regulate slavery in the federal territories acquired after the creation of the United States

Holy #######, are you telling us that human beings are fallible and that rich judges who owned slaves or whose friends did wanted to keep owning slaves?

I am ever so shocked. Good thing that constitutional amendments exist.

And I would be even MORE shocked to see a constitutional amendment passed that would REMOVE RIGHTS from people, since that hasn't been done since 1933 (save for the amendment restricting the president to two terms). If they didn't amend the constitution for Loving, then they won't for this.

March 13, 2014 Married!