Mike and Maria

Things went badly for us, she wants to leave after being here 1 week

79 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Sorry to hear that. :(

Think she could have given it longer (I'm still homesick after nearly a year but getting used to it) but everyone is different. Best wishes for both of you for the future.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think the most difficult part of deciding whether or not for her to return home is.... "should she really leave now... or wait...?"

Compatibility between us was NEVER an issue. We loved every minute of being together, whether I was in the Phils or not.

It had nothing to do with me leaving her at home when I went to work, because I own my own business (a retail car store) and she was able to be with me all day long. I really think it was because I encouraged her to spend time with her family back in the Phils before she left, I made sure she had enough money to have her parents visit her frequently, and I also went to the Phils 4 times to be with her in the 7 months we were applying for the visa.

It is hard to explain what I mean by her "spending time" with her family, but when we first met, I asked her when was the last time she saw her Mom and Dad... she replied "it has almost been one entire year..."

So hearing that, I made sure that while we were processing the visa, she did not have to work (I sent her enough money for her apartment, clothes, and food) and that she had enough money to see her family, buy gifts for birthdays etc...

It was this factor (me providing her the ability to have frequent contact) allowing her to see her family so much just before we left, that I feel really started her missing them so soon. In fact, the night before we left, no less than 12 relatives and a couple friends were there at the "Bon Voyage" dinner I hosted for her...

In addition, I am not "keeping" her here against her will... she is a beautiful person with good common sense. She knew what she was getting into before we even started the visa process. I tried my best to encourage her to stay longer...

I did have one question and member posted on this thread... He said to notify the Philippine embassy and the USCIS? Does anyone know for what reason? and also, the proper way to notify them?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I think the most difficult part of deciding whether or not for her to return home is.... "should she really leave now... or wait...?"

Compatibility between us was NEVER an issue. We loved every minute of being together, whether I was in the Phils or not.

It had nothing to do with me leaving her at home when I went to work, because I own my own business (a retail car store) and she was able to be with me all day long. I really think it was because I encouraged her to spend time with her family back in the Phils before she left, I made sure she had enough money to have her parents visit her frequently, and I also went to the Phils 4 times to be with her in the 7 months we were applying for the visa.

It is hard to explain what I mean by her "spending time" with her family, but when we first met, I asked her when was the last time she saw her Mom and Dad... she replied "it has almost been one entire year..."

So hearing that, I made sure that while we were processing the visa, she did not have to work (I sent her enough money for her apartment, clothes, and food) and that she had enough money to see her family, buy gifts for birthdays etc...

It was this factor (me providing her the ability to have frequent contact) allowing her to see her family so much just before we left, that I feel really started her missing them so soon. In fact, the night before we left, no less than 12 relatives and a couple friends were there at the "Bon Voyage" dinner I hosted for her...

In addition, I am not "keeping" her here against her will... she is a beautiful person with good common sense. She knew what she was getting into before we even started the visa process. I tried my best to encourage her to stay longer...

I did have one question and member posted on this thread... He said to notify the Philippine embassy and the USCIS? Does anyone know for what reason? and also, the proper way to notify them?

The reason why you should contact USCIS and the embassy is that if she applies for a visa in the future they will see that she has an open case for the K1 application.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know how good your relationship is but if you're relationship is good then sending her home because she's been homesick for a week seems like an extremely rash decision. Everyone experience homesickness, it's a big step to leave your home country. Talking to her, taken her out to do fun things to keep her mind of off the homesickness would have been a better strategy.

But yeah, it is your call of course. And she will only need her ticket and passport to go home. Let the embassy in her home country know she won't be using the K1.

The K-1 was already used. It is done. She is now here with an I-94. She just will not be doing AOS which is another separate step. If she ever does another K-1 the embassy will know about this one.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline

The K-1 was already used. It is done. She is now here with an I-94. She just will not be doing AOS which is another separate step. If she ever does another K-1 the embassy will know about this one.

Yes and they will see that it's open. Plenty of people have come to the US on a K1, never got married and then applied for Turist visa or whatever and were told they had an open K1

Just curious, what will happen to your relationship now that she leaves?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

When I was an au pair, I was homesick the first 6 months! I wanted to come back to Mexico and eat its food!

When I came back for Christmas, I realized my family was OK and seemed not to miss me. They continued with their lives.

Then when I came back to USA in January, I decided to enjoy the rest of my au pair time and extend another 12 months.

In July 2013 when I came back to Mexico, I was homesick missing USA. It became my second home. It was funny. What was home now was a strange place. Again it took me some time.

I think if she leaves, she can regret it later. Maybe some time would be better. This is process.

To answer your question, passport and ticket is enough to leave the country.

No one is saying to keep her against her will, I repeat no one is saying to keep her against her will. What we are saying is that she needs to think this through before she makes a rash decision like that and end up regretting it in the long run. Pinoys are a very family centric people and thus it is VERY common for them to be homesick when they come here. That doesn't mean that you just simply give up right away and say "Ok I throw in the towel and here is the plane ticket back home". If you truly do love her, then fight for her and talk to her about her decision.

What is going to happen to y'all after she goes back, are you still going to keep sending money to her?

I did the same thing to my wife as you did to her fiance. I met my wife when we were both working in Qatar, after I got a job working in Afghanistan making very good money. I told her to stay home and not work, just help her family out. She did and now thanks to me her family upgraded their house, and I helped out with other family things as well. I knew I wasn't being taken advantage of because we communicated about everything, and my wife is a stingy person about giving out money to other people unless she knows it's real.

Honestly to me it seems you are giving up on this relationship without even trying to fight. Talk to her and ask her to give it at least the full 90 days. If she is not happy on day 88/89 then get her a plane ticket home.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Sorry to hear this but as others have said homesickness is very common. My wife has been here 4 months now and she still gets homesick. She spent the last 20+ years working in Hong Kong and Singapore but she still misses home even though she was ever only able to visit every couple of years or so. One thing that can help is to search out a local filipino community or church. Get her involved with some other filipinos in the area. It really helps if they have someone else they can relate to. Before my wife arrived I got her in contact with one of my coworker's filipina wife. They chatted a bit before my wife moved here from Singapore. She now talks with her on a regular basis and we have had dinner with them a couple of times. She spent the day with her recently shopping and preparing dinner for us.

Mainly just reassure her of your love and support and that you'll be patient and understanding during the adjustment.

Michael S. Richardson, TX

09 July 2014: I-129F Sent USPS Express Mail

10 July 2014: I-129F USPS Delivery Confirmation

15 July 2014: I-129F NOA1, Alien Registration Number Changed

06 Aug 2014: I-129F Petition Approved!!!! Totally freaking unexpected, but one hell of a birthday present for ME!!!!!!!

08 Aug 2014: I-129F USCIS NOA2 Hardcopy received

11 Aug 2014: I-129F Notice that petition has been shipped to the Department of State

20 Aug 2014: SGP Case number assigned at NVC

22 Aug 2014: CEAC Status - In Transit

22 Aug 2014: CEAC Status - Ready

03 Sep 2014: Packet 3 Received

25 Nov 2014: Hong Kong finally sent the CNCC to the US Embassy in Singapore

28 Nov 2014: Mailed packet 3 checklist back to Embassy

01 Dec 2014: Checklist received by Embassy

03 Dec 2014: My fiancee completed her medical and vaccinations

05 Dec 2014: Packet 4 Received

23 Dec 2014: Interview, received request for additional documentation (Singapore Marriage Registry doc)

05 Jan 2015: VISA ISSUED!!!!!

06 Jan 2015: Visa Recieved

23 Feb 2015: POE Honolulu!!!!

11 Mar 2015: Wedding Day!!!!

16 Mar 2015: Applied for Social Security Card in married name

AOS

17 Mar 2015: Mailed (Express mail) AOS, EAD and AP package

18 Mar 2015: USPS delivery notification for AOS package

09 Apr 2015: Received e-notice of RFE

16 Apr 2015: Received mailed RFE letter (needed employment/income verification)

18 Apr 2015: Received Biometrics appt letter, scheduled for 28 Apr

20 Apr 2015: RFE response delivered

22 Apr 2015: Status changed to RFE Response received (decision or case update by June 21)

11 May 2015: EAD/AP Approval, Card being produced notification

15 May 2015: EAD/AP Card was mailed

16 May 2015: EAD/AP card delivered

25 May 2015: EAD/AP card in hand

22 June 2015: Notice of Potential Interview Waiver issued

02 Sep 2015: Notice of RFE 2 mailed

25 Sep 2015: Text/Email notice of approval, status update online

02 Oct 2015: Greencard received

Removal of Conditions

27 Jun 2017: Mailed I-751 package to California Service Center

I don't know how good your relationship is but if you're relationship is good then sending her home because she's been homesick for a week seems like an extremely rash decision. Everyone experience homesickness, it's a big step to leave your home country. Talking to her, taken her out to do fun things to keep her mind of off the homesickness would have been a better strategy.

But yeah, it is your call of course. And she will only need her ticket and passport to go home. Let the embassy in her home country know she won't be using the K1.

She already used the K-1.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I got my wife a dog, until we have a kid it helps a lot. Missing family is normal and one of the best things about the filipino culture, they have strong families. When my wife visits Philippines she misses being here after a day. I would push to try a little more if you really are sure both of you are happy with the relationship.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

You are a classy man, and if it's not her, I'm sure you will attract another good woman.

However...

I'm just wondering if your kindness and gentleness kicked in little too prematurely in this case.

Because you guys seemed to have really good respectful relationship, as a (presumably) older man with more life experience,

I really wonder if you could've find out what her immediate needs are that you can fulfill in US...

(like letting her establish some connection with local Filipino women).

7 days in US is barely getting adjusted to the jet lag, adjusting to different food, and learning to live with a man all day.

Also, it's not uncommon for young woman to have a cold feet at the last minute. My daughter came to me

3 weeks before her wedding to tell me that she is afraid to go through the wedding. After she spent 2 weeks with me

she calmed down and now they have a wonderful marriage together. These things happen.

I have a hunch that, she might regret returning to Phils and later want to come back to US again...

Best of luck to you.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Leaving the US is not an issue but entering is a different ball game.

Seems like see made up her mind but I have a funny feeling that she will regret it and would like to come back and stay. Best wishes for the both of you.

Sorry to hear this but as others have said homesickness is very common. My wife has been here 4 months now and she still gets homesick. She spent the last 20+ years working in Hong Kong and Singapore but she still misses home even though she was ever only able to visit every couple of years or so. One thing that can help is to search out a local filipino community or church. Get her involved with some other filipinos in the area. It really helps if they have someone else they can relate to. Before my wife arrived I got her in contact with one of my coworker's filipina wife. They chatted a bit before my wife moved here from Singapore. She now talks with her on a regular basis and we have had dinner with them a couple of times. She spent the day with her recently shopping and preparing dinner for us.

Mainly just reassure her of your love and support and that you'll be patient and understanding during the adjustment.

Good point. You have to be extremely proactive in helping your wife establish a life here in America. It's not just about moving & leaving everything you've ever known. It's about finding people here & things to do that help you to cope with such a grave loss. If you are busy & you have many good people in your life who support you both & want to help you succeed, she'll feel more at ease & more relaxed. Boredom is the biggest hurdle to having a healthy transitioning spouse.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Timeline

She already used the K-1.

Like I mentioned in another post to the same statement as yours: she wouldn't be the first one who goes home not using K1, doesn't let USCIS or embassy know and then when she tries to apply for another US visa gets the information that she has an open K1 application.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.