Mike and Maria

Things went badly for us, she wants to leave after being here 1 week

79 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone...

Well, not everyone has a happy ending for their story. After 8 long months of working toward the goal of getting Maria her K1 visa completed and approved, it finally happened!

Then, after she arrived in the USA (Sacramento, California) she became so homesick and overwhelmed, I finally had to give in and I booked her a flight home tomorrow night (June 26th, 2015)

My question is, and even though we are cutting it off between us (I mean what choice do I have? She is returning to the Phils) I want her to be comfortable, and to have a stress free return trip home.

Is there anything else she needs to leave the USA besides her valid Philippine Passport? Obviously we talked about her "Losing" her ability to stay in the USA by leaving before we get married and file the AOS... I just want her to be able to get on the plane in Sacramento, California without any hassles if possible.

I'm heartbroken and completely hurt by all of this but I am a gentleman and I care for her a lot...

Any help would be greatly appreciated as she is scheduled to leave in less than 24 hours...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's all she needs. That is so sad... did she say her reason for wanting to go home was because she was homesick? Many people pass through that phase when they get here but once she starts working and making friends things get better. I'm sure you guys already talked about this :( I'm really sorry it didn't work out.

Timeline

Thank you ch3john!

I am sorry too... it was quite a process to get her the K1 visa, and now... it was all for nothing...

I appreciate your input and now I know she can get safely home :)

Thank you as well kimmygeee

Timeline

Hi. I am sorry to hear about what happened. I am a Filipina too. Like herself, I will have my K1 Visa too, in the very near future I hope. And soon I will be leaving my comfort zone, dear friends and loving family to be with my future husband. If Maria and I knew each other and have a close relationship, I would have convinced her not to leave. Explain to her that it's what marriage is all about. You leave your father and mother, be with your spouse and you become one. But of course it is not my place to do any of that. I could only wish she would change her mind. I wish the both of you well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

After she leaves, notify the Manila embassy and USCIS, referring to her A# in your correspondence. Sincerely sorry for you, but things tend to happen for a reason.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Sorry to hear about that. Try to convince her, if you can, to give it a month or so before giving up. Culture shock is normal when entering a new environment. This is the second recent post about someone not even lasting a week, and both of them from California.. hmmm :huh:

Best of luck to you and your fiancé moving forward.

Edited by rjhansen142

I-612 Waiver of J1 Two Year Rule
12/31/2011 - Wife Entered U.S. on J-1 visa, Foreign Residence Requirement Applies
9/28/2013 - Married in the U.S.
7/23/2014 - NOA1 form I-612 for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (Basis: Extreme Hardship)
8/8/2014 - RFE Received
11/14/2014 - NOA2 I-612 Waiver Denied, Could not establish hardship
12/15/2014 - Sent another I-612 packet to U.S. Dept of state (Basis: No-Objection Statement)
12/15/2014 - Sent in application to Philippines Govt. for No-Objection Statement
1/14/2015 - No Objection Statement granted
4 months of waiting - The Philippines Govt. forgot about us!!!!
5/8/2015 - After multiple calls and emails the No Objection Statement was finally transmitted to DOS
6/4/2015 - I-612 Waiver APPROVED!

IR-1 Visa
6/3/2015 - Sent I-130 to Phoenix Locbox
6/4/2015 - NOA1
108 Days of waiting
9/22/2015 - NOA2
9/24/2015 - Case sent to NVC
10/1/2015 - Case received at NVC
10/14/2015 - Case number assigned
10/15/2015 - AOS Fee Paid online
10/19/2015 - CEAC AOS Fee status changed to "Paid" - AOS and IV packets sent to NVC
10/27/2015 - DS-261 was reviewed over the phone
10/29/2015 - DS-261 confirmed complete (over phone) and IV Bill Received - Paid online immediately "In Process"
10/30/2015 - Scan Date
11/2/2015 - IV Bill marked "Paid" and DS-260 completed

12/4/2015 - Case Complete (need to bring 1 corrected doc to Embassy)

1/6/15 - Medical Exam Complete

1/19/2015 - Interview Date

1/22/2015 - Visa Received (yellow envelope damaged)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi Everyone...

Well, not everyone has a happy ending for their story. After 8 long months of working toward the goal of getting Maria her K1 visa completed and approved, it finally happened!

Then, after she arrived in the USA (Sacramento, California) she became so homesick and overwhelmed, I finally had to give in and I booked her a flight home tomorrow night (June 26th, 2015)

My question is, and even though we are cutting it off between us (I mean what choice do I have? She is returning to the Phils) I want her to be comfortable, and to have a stress free return trip home.

Is there anything else she needs to leave the USA besides her valid Philippine Passport? Obviously we talked about her "Losing" her ability to stay in the USA by leaving before we get married and file the AOS... I just want her to be able to get on the plane in Sacramento, California without any hassles if possible.

I'm heartbroken and completely hurt by all of this but I am a gentleman and I care for her a lot...

Any help would be greatly appreciated as she is scheduled to leave in less than 24 hours...

I don't know how good your relationship is but if you're relationship is good then sending her home because she's been homesick for a week seems like an extremely rash decision. Everyone experience homesickness, it's a big step to leave your home country. Talking to her, taken her out to do fun things to keep her mind of off the homesickness would have been a better strategy.

But yeah, it is your call of course. And she will only need her ticket and passport to go home. Let the embassy in her home country know she won't be using the K1.

I'm very sorry for you that you believe things aren't working and she believes that leaving is the best way.

But in my honest opinion she is being very rash...

It's been ONE week. ONE!

She's not given you or America a chance.

In her mind she's left everything and everyone she knows and it's really freakin scary.

She probably thinks it won't get better.

But one week is not enough time to find out.

At least use most of the 90 days to find out.

Explore the area, meet your family and friends.

Spend time driving around.

I really think you both need to sit down, this obviously isn't a case of compatibility, she's just homesick..

You both worked so hard for this, she really needs to give it more of a chance than just one week, and you deserve that too.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from K1 to Effects of Major Changes forum as the most suitable for the thread *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

7 days is still jet lagging.

I would not give her a choice, Tell her she needs to spend 2 months here and adjust.

If after that she wants to go home then fetch her back home

Timeline

I never feel homesick the moment i arrived here in Ohio i remember we were filing the k1 together till u guys recieve rfe.. i arrived here last april n i sometimes missed my family but every weekend my fiance now my husband make sure to take me out n see places taste food meet his family go shopping look for filipino store n he did everything to make me so i wont miss home n skype n viber with my family makes me feel their just near me... hope she still change her mind

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.