Toddandcamilla

Not married yet SSN marriage in 20 days

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi guys! I arrived on K1 last friday, we are going to the SSA this friday, we have the I-94 printed out too with my entry and SS-5 form too. My question is : we file now before we are married as ive been reading is the best to do. But we get married the 15th of July which is soon. Will it be a problem if i havent even recieved my SSN card when we head of to marry? Or is it just fine? And then we go make a new SSN card with married name after we are married? And also, for the AOS do we need to put me on taxes and joint accounts as soon as we are married and send it in as proof too? I dont want to do AOS after the 90 days. I would like us to have it over with before the 90 days. But i dont know really what kind of proof we can come up with when we havent establised much joint stuff yet. Thank you all for your time! Camilla!

Hi guys! I arrived on K1 last friday, we are going to the SSA this friday, we have the I-94 printed out too with my entry and SS-5 form too. My question is : we file now before we are married as ive been reading is the best to do. But we get married the 15th of July which is soon. Will it be a problem if i havent even recieved my SSN card when we head of to marry? Or is it just fine? And then we go make a new SSN card with married name after we are married? And also, for the AOS do we need to put me on taxes and joint accounts as soon as we are married and send it in as proof too? I dont want to do AOS after the 90 days. I would like us to have it over with before the 90 days. But i dont know really what kind of proof we can come up with when we havent establised much joint stuff yet. Thank you all for your time! Camilla!

Hi :)

Congratulations and Welcome :) Actually, that's my concern too when I arrived here in the US but I've read that it's much better to go to SSA office and file after 10-14 days of arrival in order for your single name to be registered on the SAVE database that they're using for us (that's what I heard you can do some research on the SAVE thing :) ). Just bring your printed SS-5 form and I-94, birth certificate and passport. Some people just applied their SS card after they got married and they just brought their marriage certificate,printed I-94 and SS-5 form,and passport, so it's really up to you. The only positive side of having your SS card before getting married is some banks did require SS number for joint account applications and some insurance too. At least before you get married, your joint accounts are already set up and running 'coz that's what we did. We also managed to provide it on our AOS paperworks as well. Also, in my opinion it is a plus if you can add any joint accounts on your AOS paperworks to serve as proof of your bonafide relationship/marriage as early as this time. Some suggestions would be, Rental/Home agreement with both of your names on it, Phone plans, gym membership, joint bank acocunts/statements, utility bills and cable statements with your two names on it, insurances (health, life, car) . My husband didn't include me yet on the 2014 ITR statement the last time since we filed the AOS around March 2015 and there's no problem with it. You can add it too if possible for additional evidence. :)

710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Most K1 VJ folks that follow the K1 Flowchart have no issues with the order of events after their Port of Entry (POE): http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

That being said, the individual states have control over marriage laws and requirements, and are often different. You should likely check the California marriage requirements: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/pages/marriagelicenseceremonygeneralinfo.aspx and the your county clerk's office for any specific requirements. If you can, get several copies of your marriage certificate. It can be cheaper, and it is handy to have several copies.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

We filed my SSN after marriage and had bank joint account accomplished. I presented certified true copy of marriage license, I-94 and passport in both applications. Filed AOS, now waiting for the hard copy of NOA1. Hopefully everything goes fine and smooth!

Timeline

Thank you so much guys! Hope it will work out okay tomorrow! ? thank you all for the respons! Is the AOS process gonna be okay if we dont get joint accounts till we are married in 20 days? We wanna do it when we are married and i have taken his last name. Less hassle with going back and changing names in banks etc. So even if we have only just gotten the joint accounts and then file for AOS shortly after is that gonna be fine? Or do we wait? I just really wanna get thr AOS out of the way before the 90 days expire 16th of september so we dont mess up the process too much by waiting till after 90 days run out.

You do not need to send any proof of having a joint accout, lease with both names, pictures etc. etc. for AOS. You will be required to bring it to your interview when its scheduled. You will need a state id or us driver license to open a joint or individual checking account under your married name.

Edited by emcia_81

Timeline

You do not need to send any proof of having a joint accout, lease with both names, pictures etc. etc. for AOS. You will be required to bring it to your interview when its scheduled. You will need a state id or us driver license to open a joint or individual checking account under your married name.

is it everyone who gets an interview? I dont have drivers license. Here or in my old country. The public transport was so good it was silly to drive. Hope the SSN card will be given on friday so i have some ID! Thank you for ur answers ?

It has to be a picture id if you want the bank account to be under your married name. If you really insist on having it ASAP you can do it under your maiden name and change it later when you receive a state id, dl or your combo card EAD/AP. You dont need to send any proof at this stage. If you get called for an interview ( within 6 months in general) you will have to bring with you all sorts of evidence to prove bona fide marriage. However some people get an interview waiver but it takes even a year to obtain the green card. Whether you are going to send a proof oh joint account or not it's not going to make any difference in your process. I would recommend you to get your dl no matter what. Its good to have it and its ridicously easy to pass it ?

Timeline

It has to be a picture id if you want the bank account to be under your married name. If you really insist on having it ASAP you can do it under your maiden name and change it later when you receive a state id, dl or your combo card EAD/AP. You dont need to send any proof at this stage. If you get called for an interview ( within 6 months in general) you will have to bring with you all sorts of evidence to prove bona fide marriage. However some people get an interview waiver but it takes even a year to obtain the green card. Whether you are going to send a proof oh joint account or not it's not going to make any difference in your process. I would recommend you to get your dl no matter what. Its good to have it and its ridicously easy to pass it ?

thank you so so much! I really want the DL but we are kind lots in when i can get it. Before EAD is approved or after first? Do i need to do biometrics too? I just had medical in May. My k1 visa was approved 4th of june. And issued a week later. And now im here. So less than 1,5 month since medical for the interview in Europe. Is the biometrics only for if u file after the 90 days? Sorry for dumb questions. It took so long to research the k1 process for us, we havent gotten to the whole part about AOS. The head gets so tired hehe zzz ?

thank you so so much! I really want the DL but we are kind lots in when i can get it. Before EAD is approved or after first? Do i need to do biometrics too? I just had medical in May. My k1 visa was approved 4th of june. And issued a week later. And now im here. So less than 1,5 month since medical for the interview in Europe. Is the biometrics only for if u file after the 90 days? Sorry for dumb questions. It took so long to research the k1 process for us, we havent gotten to the whole part about AOS. The head gets so tired hehe zzz ?

Just get your SSN first sorted. I don't want to give you misleading information about obtaining your dl in California but I would suggest you to visit your local DMV to speak face to face with someone who can elucidate the whole process to you. After you send your AOS paperwork you will receive a notification acknowledging that they received your documents. In my case it took a week or so. Withing 30 days from your NOA you will get your biometric appointment letter in mail. Make sure you don't miss it. Everyone have to attend biometrics no matter when they filed their AOS. Your medical record is good for a year. I presume you completed your vaccination back at home. Follow this step by step guide on how to file for adjustment of status for K1 holdershttp://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

FYI I got my driver licence after I received my NOA and it's issued only for a year. If you decide to get it before it they may issue until the date of your visa expiry. You still will be able to extend it after receiving your NOA or EAD but it costs additional.

Edited by emcia_81

Everybody goes through biometrics, it doesn't matter when you file AOS. It has noting to do with the medical, they just take your fingerprints and take a picture at the local USCIS office.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Dear OP,

You are like me, you want to get everything out of the way as quickly as possible :-) I actually returned the marriage license in person instead of sending it via mail, so I could get back my certified copies and apply for AOS days after we got married :-) You will not need any proof when you file, and you'll probably have plenty by the time of your interview (if you have one).

SSN - I went back to the office and changed my name without issues.

Joint bank account - I was able to be added to my husband's account without a DL or any other American id. I was still "fresh off the boat" as they say :-) It will depend on the bank, but Chase let me join with my Romanian passport and Romanian id card. It's worth trying.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.