beppykins

Is tax return transcript absolutely necessary for the interview?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone. I'm super frustrated right now because I can't get my tax return transcript, as the IRS has shut down all means of getting it since the end of May because of a breach in their security. The only thing they're offering is a tax return copy, which I have to mail in a form and pay $50 for, and it'll take over 2 months to get to me!!! For a long list of reasons which I won't get into, I didn't know this until today, or else I would've just sent in the form and paid the damn fee at the beginning of June when I first tried to get it.

This is insane, and I'm going nuts because there's no way I can wait over 2 months for this to come in the mail and then send to my fiance for his interview. His medical is in just ONE WEEK so we're getting pretty close to the interview.

I keep hoping and praying the IRS will get everything sorted but they say they'll keep their Tax Return Transcript services down until they make sure security is stronger. It's been about 4 weeks already, and still nothing...

So, is the transcript ABSOLUTELY necessary for the interview? It's even more frustrating for me because my Tax Return Transcript is going to mean essentially NOTHING during his interview, as I was working a completely different job last year making half the income I am now. So, I have a whole stack of papers for my fiance to use, showing my new income of this year and my Return Transcript will basically just be "This is what she earned last year but ignore that because it's completely irrelevant to us this year". If we have to push his interview back a few months for that, I'm going to lose my mind. :(

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that what the problem is? We have our interview July 31 and I've been requesting the 2014 transcript through their website and by phone. Nothing ever arrives. I finally decided to just bring a copy of my 2014 1040. I don't know whether we can do anything else.

For a K1 affidavit of support (I-134) --NO. not required in London. If you have an employer letter stating enough current income, they will be happy with that as your proof.

A CR1 (spouse) affidavit of support (I-864) requires a tax return or tax transcript as part of the law on requirements. You will need one for your AOS because the same I-864 is needed. Order now. Are you sure you can't get the free tax return transcript by mail. I thought it was only the online print your own that was locked down. You shouldn't have to pay anything. And don't you have a copy of your tax return?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Please, don't loose your mind. The Tax statement should be sufficient enough for the interview (talking from experience). IRS Tax Transcript is free, and it will arrive at your address in less than 7 days, from the request day. Follow this link,http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript to request Transcript by mail.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The tax return transcripts are not the end of life in a way, if you cannot get a copy then just write up a letter explaining it or be prepared to answer. Take a copy of your tax returns you filed, your w2, your past year pay stubs, a current employment verification letter. perhaps copies of bank statements for last 3-6 months. Those will add up to sufficient evidence you can sponsor the beneficiary. hope this helps.

Timeline

Is that what the problem is? We have our interview July 31 and I've been requesting the 2014 transcript through their website and by phone. Nothing ever arrives. I finally decided to just bring a copy of my 2014 1040. I don't know whether we can do anything else.

Yup :(http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Statement-on-the-Get-Transcript-Application

Timeline

The tax return transcripts are not the end of life in a way, if you cannot get a copy then just write up a letter explaining it or be prepared to answer. Take a copy of your tax returns you filed, your w2, your past year pay stubs, a current employment verification letter. perhaps copies of bank statements for last 3-6 months. Those will add up to sufficient evidence you can sponsor the beneficiary. hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. How can I get a copy of my w2? I'm not sure that's something I still have since I've already filed my taxes. I also don't believe I have a copy of my tax return. My dad is a financial guy so he always does our family's tax returns and I asked him if he had a copy of the tax return we filed and he said he doesn't. I do have my pay stubs from the past few months, bank statements from the past 3 months, and a letter from my employer. I'll send him a letter also stating why I can't get my tax return transcript, thanks for the idea.

Timeline

Please, don't loose your mind. The Tax statement should be sufficient enough for the interview (talking from experience). IRS Tax Transcript is free, and it will arrive at your address in less than 7 days, from the request day. Follow this link,http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript to request Transcript by mail.

That's the service I'm talking about that isn't working. When I go through that link and request a Tax Return Transcript, it tells me I cannot receive one and I can submit Form 4506 which will cost $50 and take over two months to send me a copy of my Return. They've stopped all access to Return Transcripts because of a breach in security.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

your employer should have given you the w2 in january or if you are in contracting type of job then a 1099 would have been issued. you can try contacting your employer from 2014 for a copy, but not sure how soon you would get it.

maybe explain to your dad why you need the copy of tax return and its importance, and request him to dig it up. a copy of tax return or tax transcript is a necessity, i am not sure if they will budge on it.

I finally decided to just bring a copy of my 2014 1040. I don't know whether we can do anything else.

That works, but if you have any additional Schedules or Forms besides the 1040 that are part of your tax return, you have to send them as well. And a "complete tax return" also includes the W2 or 1099 wage statement. See the I-864 instructions. There is a section on Tax Returns that explains fully.

Everybody's tax return is different. For example you may only have a 1040 or 1040A and W2 whereas another person could have--

Schedule A

Schedule B

Schedule C

Schedule D

Schedule SE

1099-MISC wage statement.

Must include the whole lot if copying the tax return. A transcript is stand alone.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

For a K1 affidavit of support (I-134) --NO. not required in London. If you have an employer letter stating enough current income, they will be happy with that as your proof.

A CR1 (spouse) affidavit of support (I-864) requires a tax return or tax transcript as part of the law on requirements. You will need one for your AOS because the same I-864 is needed. Order now. Are you sure you can't get the free tax return transcript by mail. I thought it was only the online print your own that was locked down. You shouldn't have to pay anything. And don't you have a copy of your tax return?

Thank you. I read here http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-supportit says,

"You are required to provide your U.S. federal income tax return for the most recent tax year as well as proof of current employment. If you were not required to file a tax return in any of these years you must provide an explanation. Failure to provide the tax return or evidence establishing that you were not required to file will delay action on your relative's application for permanent residence. If this information is not provided, this will result in denial of an immigrant visa or adjustment of status."

Which is why I'm concerned that I need it. Do you have a link that says London doesn't require it, or is that just from personal experience?

I will order it for our AOS. Also, I did try the "by mail" option and it told me Tax Return Transcript was not available to order by mail. It said to submit form 4506 which will cost $50 and take over 2 months to receive a copy of my Tax Return.

I don't think I have a copy of my tax return, but I will double check with my dad. He does our family's returns, as he's a financial guy. I could've misunderstood him (hopefully).

Timeline

your employer should have given you the w2 in january or if you are in contracting type of job then a 1099 would have been issued. you can try contacting your employer from 2014 for a copy, but not sure how soon you would get it.

maybe explain to your dad why you need the copy of tax return and its importance, and request him to dig it up. a copy of tax return or tax transcript is a necessity, i am not sure if they will budge on it.

I think I might have misunderstood my dad (at least I hope). He said we didn't have one, but I think he probably meant we didn't have a tax return transcript. I can't imagine him throwing out a tax return copy, so I'm gonna call him in a bit to ask. I wasn't sure if the W2 is something you keep or have to send in with the tax return. Sorry, I'm completely useless with this kind of stuff because my dad usually takes care of it all for us. I'm going to start doing my own next year. Either way, I'll contact my employer and ask for a copy.

Timeline

if your dad did your taxes he probably has a copy of your w2 or 1099, we need those to do a tax return. good luck

You're probably right. Thank you!

That's the service I'm talking about that isn't working. When I go through that link and request a Tax Return Transcript, it tells me I cannot receive one and I can submit Form 4506 which will cost $50 and take over two months to send me a copy of my Return. They've stopped all access to Return Transcripts because of a breach in security.

The website says

Alert:

The online Get Transcript service is currently unavailable. You may still order transcripts using the Get Transcript by Mail service. We apologize for any inconvenience.

They say you can still order by mail.

You can also call the transcript direct phone number 1-800-908-9946

And the old fashion form way is fill out this paper request http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf

The address for mailing is on the second page. The address depends on your state. They also give fax numbers, according to state, where you can fax in the paper request.

I have ordered all of the above ways.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.