dctokyo

Hello from Japan and have some questions

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have some questions on getting a visa for my wife of over 30 years. I am a US citizen and she is a South Korean citizen both have been living here in Japan since 1986 and I plan to move back to the US.

1. Would a K-3 be the best way to go as we do not need a green-card

2. When I send the I-130 do I need to send the fee of $420 at the same time

3. If everything works out and if there is a interview at the US Embassy in Tokyo for the K-3, will I need to show my US tax returns ( I have not file any returns in over 15 years ) but I have paid Japanese taxes and never made or the $92,000 exclusion amount.

Thanks for reading

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. So she just wants to visit, that would be a B2.

2. I 130 leads to a Green Card.

3. If you are actually looking to sponsor an immigrant visa then you need to catch up with your tax filing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

1. So she just wants to visit, that would be a B2.

2. I 130 leads to a Green Card.

3. If you are actually looking to sponsor an immigrant visa then you need to catch up with your tax filing.

Hi Boiler,

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. So she just wants to visit, that would be a B2. ( She wants to live with me there and be able to work but does not wish to get a green card at this time, so I thought that a K-3 is a non-immigrant visa but she could stay there for 2 years or we could apply later for a green card before that time, please correct me if I am wrong.

2. I 130 leads to a Green Card. Thanks I just read this ( During the two years that the K-3 visa is valid the holder may either file for Adjustment of Status (to become a Legal Permanent Resident of the US) or await their I-130 to be approved in which case they can return to their country to be issued an Immigrant Visa (upon entering the US on the immigrant visa they will become a Legal Permanent Resident).

3. If you are actually looking to sponsor an immigrant visa then you need to catch up with your tax filing. so for immigrant & non-immigrant visa`s I will need to show that I have paid taxes? right?

Thanks again for your quick reply and help.

Timeline

It is very unusual for a K3 to go all the way nowadays, usually it would be administratively closed in favour of the IR1.

You have to file taxes, you may or may not have anything to pay.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

It is very unusual for a K3 to go all the way nowadays, usually it would be administratively closed in favour of the IR1.

You have to file taxes, you may or may not have anything to pay.

Thanks again Boiler for your quick reply and help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Well she applied for a B2 and was denied, so now what, is there any chance that she can still use her esta, or will she need to applied for a new one? I jut login to her esta account and it still shows approved, but is it really?

Timeline

ESTA would not know about the visa denial so she would need to update, actually not sure if that is possible, might be a new application.

Was there a particular reason she was denied the B? Or was it the usual why do you need more than 90 days?

Edited by Boiler

Timeline

ESTA would not know about the visa denial so she would need to update, actually not sure if that is possible, might be a new application.

Was there a particular reason she was denied the B? Or was it the usual why do you need more than 90 days?

She said that they did not think that she would return, which made no sense as she had documents to show she worked there and still had a house.

I can not see anywhere to update the information in the esta account and if you have one you can not make a new one until the account expires. Should she take a chance to try to visit me here in Hawaii for 3 months next month, while I apply for a K3 visa?

Timeline
If you obtain a new passport or change your name, gender or country of citizenship, you will be required to apply for a new travel authorization. This is also required if one of your answers to any of the VWP eligibility questions changes. The associated fee of $14 will be charged for each new application.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1073/~/apply-or-change-information-in-the-electronic-system-for-travel-authorization

Timeline

Thanks I have re-applied, it will take up to 72 hours to know if it was approved or not.

• 5 months later...
Timeline

have seen it happen, where are you on the immigrant front?