catofky

Married in neutral country, US citizen and Russian citizen. What now?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

My fiancé from Russia and I (us citizen) are looking to get married in another country. We have discussed Finland and China.

She is from Khabarovsk Russia.

If we were to get married in one of those countries. Would the US recognize the marriage.

I will return to the US and she will return to Russia to wait the 6 months or so for a CR1 visa.

Is there any way that she could come straight to the US after we are married and wait the 6 months there.

All countries recognize a marriage from any other country, so you can get married wherever you want, provided you get the necessary visas for that country, if needed.

Not to destroy your hopes, but figure on at least a year for the CR-1, not 6 months. At the rate they're moving right now, you might be lucky to get out of the USCIS in 6 months...

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Timeline

I was told that in order to get married in Russia I have to be in the country a minimum of 30 days.

Getting that length of time off work is almost impossible.

She is afraid that she would not be able to get a tourist visa to the US.

Our biggest problem is money. Not near enough of it.

It makes the fiancé visa requirement of visiting first an expensive venture.

I wish there was a quicker way to get us together.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I was told that in order to get married in Russia I have to be in the country a minimum of 30 days.

Getting that length of time off work is almost impossible.

She is afraid that she would not be able to get a tourist visa to the US.

It makes the fiancé visa requirement of visiting first an expensive venture.

I wish there was a quicker way to get us together.

Oh you haven't met?

Maybe someone else can chime in but applying for a CR1 after meeting once just to get married sounds like a big red flag to me.

**Get a doctor to make some note that you're ill and can't wait 30 days to marry. Or just pester the workers there.

Edited by AmyWrites

If we were to get married in one of those countries. Would the US recognize the marriage.

Yes.

Is there any way that she could come straight to the US after we are married and wait the 6 months there.

No.

Have you checked the financial requirements for getting the visa? Take a look at the I-864 form and instructions. You'll either have to make the minimum amount or have a joint sponsor lined up to help you before she'll be able to get her visa.

Getting married on first meeting is definitely a red flag for a higher fraud-risk embassy. So long as you have good evidence of your relationship, then you can overcome the red flag. Have you thought about what you'd include for relationship evidence?

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How long do you have to be in China or Finland to marry?

I agree with the others, sounds like you are rushing things big time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

We have six months of emails and conversations to back us up.

We did not meet on a bridal site.

I have worked on a relationship with not just her but her two daughters as well.

I write the daughters once a week.

We have discussed everything from what our values are , what we want in a relationship, set up rules

for our relationship, talked about how we want our family life to be, about careers for her, about private matters

every relationship requires. We have covered it all.

I make enough money to prove support. It is having the available cash without borrowing that limits me.

If you follow our letters. You can see how the relationship developed, From friends, to me falling in love first, and to her reluctantly letting her

walls down bit by bit until we were totally committed to each other.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My Husband and I married in Scotland (he is USC, I'm irish). You have to submit paperwork at least 15 days before marriage but only have to appear in person at the registry office 1 day before wedding.

Timeline

My Husband and I married in Scotland (he is USC, I'm irish). You have to submit paperwork at least 15 days before marriage but only have to appear in person at the registry office 1 day before wedding.

You married on first meeting?

You married on first meeting?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The Gretna Green scenario.

Timeline

Good to hear. Not sure you can still be married by the blacksmith.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

All countries recognize a marriage from any other country

Not true. A whole lot of countries fail to recognize any kind of gay marriage from another country. However, upon further reading, this is a bit not relevant, sorry, it's a personal sore spot. :)

OP, K1 fiance visa is normally *much* quicker than CR visa. Especially now that they are still processing all K1s in California. So if you goal is to be with your partner and her kids in US ASAP, I suggest visiting her once to get the proof and applying for K1 fiance visa the second you get back.

If you are willing to put up with multiple connections or longer overlays, you can get airplane tickets under 1000$. Yeah, I know, it's a lot. The only way around the "meet in person" requirement is either faith-based ("cannot see each other prior to getting married") or health-based wavier. Being short of cash is not going to cut it for USCIS.

K1 to POE
01.14.2015 - met online in an RPG chatroom
02.27.2015 - met in person
04.20.2015 - I-129F mailed
04.21.2015 - I-129F received by the Lockbox as per USPS site
04.24.2015 - NOA-1 electronic copy received: both SMS (text) and e-mail
04.30.2015 - NOA-1 paper version received
06.01.2015 - NOA-2 e-mail. SQUEE! =)
06.05.2015 - NOA-2 paper version.
06.12.2015 - NVC Received, Case # Assigned (not yet visible on CEAC)
06.17.2015 - NVC processing completed, now visible on CEAC with status "Ready"
06.24.2015 - CEAC status "Administrative Processing" (for Russia: received by the Embassy, can schedule the interview).
06.26.2015 - Crossed the t's and dotted the i's, this time for real. Scheduled the interview!
07.20.2015 - Medical. Piece of cake!
07.22.2015 - Interview. 2 hours worth of waiting and 5 minutes worth of talking to the consul, "your visa is approved". Yaaay!
10.09.2015 - POE in Boston, MA. Hooray!! Welcome, my love.

POE to Green Card:
10.09.2015 - POE in Boston, MA
10.14.2015 - applied for SSN; got it a couple days later in the mail
10.31.2015 - Wedding :halloween:
11.21.2015 - Filed AOS (package including Travel Parole & Employment)
11.25.2015 - electronic NOA-1(s), 11.27.2015 - Check cashed
11.30.2015 - NOA-1s

12.18.2015 - RFE (forgot to write my name in one place on the Affidavit of Support)

12.21.2015 - Biometrics

12.23.2015 - RFE Response received by USCIS

02.10.2016 - EAD/AP approved!

02.10.2016 - EAD/AP received!

05.12.2016 - Interview scheduled for 06.15.2016 (wow, that really took 6 months from filing...)

06.15.2016 - Interview. Approved! (but not at the interview, got notification about 4 hours later)

06.30.2016 - Green Card Received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.