97 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Ontarkie described my thoughts exactly...informing your partner of your plans is not the same as seeking permission.

I did tell my husband yesterday that I knew he wouldn't be interested and he agreed. He says he's perfectly fine not needing to meet new friends and I accept that. But he has had the luxury of knowing the same friends for 15-30 years whereas I'm generally new to the US and am trying to fit in somewhere. And I thought it'll be good to start with people who have been through the same experience of adjustment and transition. Perhaps I should have asked ahead but I don't want to appear as if I'm seeking his permission to make new friends.

Filed: Timeline

Affairs start like this, an innocent car ride with a male of other sex, and if the girl is beautiful, the male will try his best to act innocent to gain friendship.

I have seen this in real life, so all the women out there who tell me it is perfectly ok for a male female meetup, give me a break, you are married, your husband should be the focus, why did you not try to meet girls ?. He was right on getting angry, I would do the same.

My friends ex wife was in same situation, she came from a other country, my friend was a nice guy, he was ok with everything, and there was a guy at her work who said he will take her to work every day as her house was on the way, husband said ok and the next thing you know his ex wife and this man were in a full blown affair.

and his wife one day ran away with this man.

Poor guy he is still in depression and shock.

Talk about feminism and female equality.

And for guys keep one eye open always.

This is going to sound so bizarre but I'll start anyway. My husband and I live in a sprawling suburban area. He's the USC and I'm the non-USC spouse. I am attending grad school and been doing well on that end. However, it's also summertime now and many of the people I know aren't on campus and many of my compatriots are in my home country. At the same time, the only people my husband and I see are his sister and her husband. My SIL and I used to have a rapport but my relationship with her has deteriorated over the past year for no obvious reasons. She does not acknowledge me or even thanks me for inviting her to join us at events and our conversations are transactional in nature ("Embarrassed, when was the last time we went to XYZ?" "I think last July" "Oh, that's right"). My husband knows and acknowledges that his sister is a b**** but keeps on telling me to "be the bigger person". He has only gone out of his way once to let her know that I was offended by her behavior last year but she just pretends like nothing has happened between us. Naturally, I feel invisible and decide to take matters into my hands. I joined Meetup.com to connect with other internationals like myself and it turns out that one of the groups is having a meet-and-greet this Sunday. Since I don't have a vehicle of my own (husband and I commute and he picks me up), I asked if I could carpool with anyone because the venue would be quite a drive for my husband and he isn't the socializing type. I just thought I didn't want to trouble my husband since this was going to be my thing. The organizer kindly replied that he wouldn't mind giving me a ride and I was happy thinking that yay, someone is willing to carpool! Unfortunately, I conveyed all this to my husband and it blows up in my face because he's upset that I would even think about joining a "hook-up service" and that I would get into a car with a guy whom I've never met to go somewhere where I've never been. My husband tells me there must be something missing in my life that I am doing this and when I tell him he's being insecure, he says he's pissed off because he doesn't know what my intentions are, and that his sister was right all along about me being a gold-digger etc. And I'm like, "Seriously, she said that?" and he goes, "No, but she suspected you in the beginning and so you deserve her treatment!" As you can tell, this has blown up in my face for no good reason. I have changed my mind about going to the meetup but my husband says even if I'm not going, he doesn't want to spend Sunday with me at all. He says he couldn't care less if I don't come home. And that I ruined his upcoming birthday because of this. For reference, there is a sizeable age difference between us which might contribute to his behavior but I am hoping that rationality will prevail. I just feel so bad that he is upset by this and I honestly thought he'd be supportive cos I really just want to widen my social circle with people who share my experience. It just didn't occur to me that he'd be freaked out by someone giving me a ride just because it's a guy and I don't know him. Any kind words?

I agree with you.

If I were your husband I would be suspicious of your behavior because this hook up thing is not only bizarre but a slap on his face...

Edited by marriedguy

My wife and I are very secure in our relationship and yes she does get lonely here in the USA with no family around. I would still have a problem with this if it was my wife. Yes, meetup maybe totally innocent and everything but it only takes a short amount of time before an affair happened. If I were you I would force your husband to go with you and not take no for an answer. If it was my wife coming and asking me if I wanted to go to help her meet new people and friends, I wouldn't like going but I would go for her.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't think you should be getting rides from random male strangers, even if you're single it's not a great idea. This is something that should have probably been discussed before you got married though, neither myself or my wife would be ok with having a friend of the opposite sex. It's inconsiderate. You can have couples that are friends, or single same sex friends. You either believe in this set up or you don't, if you have different views then someone will have to change or the relationship won't work. The girls that I've dated that believe in having male friends instantly became only friends with benefits to me, I wasn't raised in a family that my Dad hung out with other girls and my Mom vice versa so maybe it's just what you're use to. I hope you figure it out, but I definitely don't think your husband is over reacting, my wife would cut my balls off if I did that. I would probably just go to the strip club. We have very different anger outlets ha ha.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What IS the age difference?

This should have nothing to do with the problem, it's typical with dating younger or older people. Some people believe it's ok to keep friends of the other sex when in a relationship and some do not. Usually they are on both side of the spectrum and not in the middle. In the end women and men have nothing in common and sensual tension will always be present. Those that believe in other sex friends are probably a lot more likely to cheat because they are faced with a lot more chances to.

If I were your husband I would be suspicious of your behavior because this hook up thing is not only bizarre but a slap on his face...

why?

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Holy ####### y'all, are you kidding me? Absolutely, this is how "unintentional" affairs begin. Crazy to think otherwise, safety issues of being alone in a car with a stranger from the Internet aside (they should be a given). I would not have reacted that severely if my wife had done this (saying that his sister was correct, etc.) but I would definitely not be happy with the situation.

Oh I won't even get started on this one. Y'alls relationship is in DEEP trouble already and you don't even know it. From both ends. I'll keep fingers crossed that you make it through, since I don't like seeing marriages end, generally speaking. GL, you'll need it.

9/8/14 - I129F petition sent to the USCIS lockbox via USPS
9/11/14 - Petition received @ USCIS lockbox
9/11/14 - NOA1 Email and text message received
9/15/14 - NOA1 Official notice date
9/18/14 - NOA1 hard copy received
12/9/14 - "Updated" likely because of website repairs, like many of us received
4/20/15 - NOA2 text and email (221 days)

4/29/15 - Sent to the NVC (9 days)

5/8/15 - Arrived at the NVC (9 days)

5/13/15 - Left the NVC (5 days)

5/15/15 - Electronic version arrived at the embassy (2 days)

5/20/15 - Paper copy arrived at the embassy (7 days)

6/4/15 - Status changed to AP (which meant that we could schedule the interview)

6/16/15 - Medical

6/17/15 - K1 APPROVED!!!!

6/30/15 - Passport and sealed envelope delivered via courier

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.