gooboo1234

Montreal Consulate AP time

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Definitely; they had Canada Day (July 1) and an Independence Day observance day (July 3), so they were closed 2 days last week.

I'm hoping that this won't take a lot longer. Though it seems the average time once embassy actually receives it is another 2-3 weeks. I just hope it gets to the adjudicating officer quickly and that its issued quickly.

A lot of people have been saying that once its in "READY" status, it just sits there for weeks. Any experience with that?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm hoping that this won't take a lot longer. Though it seems the average time once embassy actually receives it is another 2-3 weeks. I just hope it gets to the adjudicating officer quickly and that its issued quickly.

A lot of people have been saying that once its in "READY" status, it just sits there for weeks. Any experience with that?

The only time it said Ready for us was when the case initially got to the consulate until the interview. It took 20 minutes to walk back to our hotel and it already said AP. It was straight AP until the consulate was satisfied with the second document (they weren't happy with the first submission) my husband sent them (32 days of AP), it went back to Ready for 2 hours or so, then back into AP, then Issued showed up the following day. Just because it says Ready doesn't mean they're not working on your case, sometimes the case update time will change but not the status. It updated quite a bit during our AP, though half of the updates were them responding to my emails.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

Filed: Timeline

The only time it said Ready for us was when the case initially got to the consulate until the interview. It took 20 minutes to walk back to our hotel and it already said AP. It was straight AP until the consulate was satisfied with the second document (they weren't happy with the first submission) my husband sent them (32 days of AP), it went back to Ready for 2 hours or so, then back into AP, then Issued showed up the following day. Just because it says Ready doesn't mean they're not working on your case, sometimes the case update time will change but not the status. It updated quite a bit during our AP, though half of the updates were them responding to my emails.

Today they responded to my email and said that they receieved the document last week and that "we allow for 8 weeks of processing time from the date the document is received"

Do you think it will take a full 8 weeks or is this the upper limit that they tell everyone? Many posters are reporting 2-3 weeks. I hope not 8 weeks, its already been a month since the interview....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Today they responded to my email and said that they receieved the document last week and that "we allow for 8 weeks of processing time from the date the document is received"

Do you think it will take a full 8 weeks or is this the upper limit that they tell everyone? Many posters are reporting 2-3 weeks. I hope not 8 weeks, its already been a month since the interview....

That's what they tell everyone. It COULD take 8 weeks but maybe it may only take a few days, It's hard to say. It can even take longer than 8 weeks. At this point you should anticipate that it will take the full 8 weeks but hope that your wait will be a lot shorter (it usually is).

K-1

I-129F NOA1 => NOA2: 161 days

NOA2 => Interview: 64 days

AP: 33 days

Total: 258 days

AOS

I-485 NOA => GC: 333 days

No Interview

ROC

07/30/2017: Package Sent

08/01/2017: NOA

09/07/2017: Biometrics

12/04/2018: Approved! 490 days

• 3 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!!

Any updates from MTL?? my husband's case has been on AP for 5 month, the Medical and police report expired already, we haven't received any notification from the consulate requesting new ones. every email I sent and also one from my congressman and we got the same response, "Still under AP you need to wait, and blah blah blah"!! :clock:

Timeline

Hi!!

Any updates from MTL?? my husband's case has been on AP for 5 month, the Medical and police report expired already, we haven't received any notification from the consulate requesting new ones. every email I sent and also one from my congressman and we got the same response, "Still under AP you need to wait, and blah blah blah"!! :clock:

I seem to be in the same situation as you.

Did your husband pass his interview also? Is he a Canadian citizen? I passed my interiew for my CR1 and I am a a Canadian citizen. I didn't get any other document...just the welcome to the USA letter.

We contacted my husbands congressman and I have sent emails...same answer every time. On October 21st, it will be three months waiting. The CEAC site doesn't even say AP for us...it's still on Ready. It hasn't changed, or I haven't noticed it change since the beginning.

Timeline

Hi!!

Hi Idy sooooo so sorry that you are still in limbo :( Based on others who have been through similar indefinate waits MTL will notify you of your expired documents when they are in the final stages of their neverending review. Your hubby will need to get them at that time and geyt it to MTL inoder for them to issue his visa. I still can't wrap my brain around why they can't come up with a less painful process . Hang in there .Praying it won't be much longer.

Timeline

I seem to be in the same situation as you.

Did your husband pass his interview also? Is he a Canadian citizen? I passed my interiew for my CR1 and I am a a Canadian citizen. I didn't get any other document...just the welcome to the USA letter.

We contacted my husbands congressman and I have sent emails...same answer every time. On October 21st, it will be three months waiting. The CEAC site doesn't even say AP for us...it's still on Ready. It hasn't changed, or I haven't noticed it change since the beginning.

PriyaB MTL is slow as molasses. We were stuck on READY for 8 weeks and probably would still be stuck if our Congressman had'nt gotten involved. I know you said you are a Canadian citizen. If that's not by birth but by naturlization that seems to be an area that slows their process even more. So sorry that you are still without answers. Hoping for good news for you next week.

Timeline

Hi Idy sooooo so sorry that you are still in limbo :( Based on others who have been through similar indefinate waits MTL will notify you of your expired documents when they are in the final stages of their neverending review. Your hubby will need to get them at that time and geyt it to MTL inoder for them to issue his visa. I still can't wrap my brain around why they can't come up with a less painful process . Hang in there .Praying it won't be much longer.

My friend!!

I know there's nothing else I can do but wait. you are absolutely right it's insanely painful process!
thank you so much for your prayers!! (F) I'll keep you posted.

Have a good weekend :)

Timeline

PriyaB MTL is slow as molasses. We were stuck on READY for 8 weeks and probably would still be stuck if our Congressman had'nt gotten involved. I know you said you are a Canadian citizen. If that's not by birth but by naturlization that seems to be an area that slows their process even more. So sorry that you are still without answers. Hoping for good news for you next week.

I am a citizen by naturalization...ugh! Why does that even matter? Its so frustrating.

CandAm Thank you so much, you are such a font of knowledge. I am going to get my husband to contact them again and try to be more assertive. I am pretty sure that his congressman can do more.

Timeline

One can pretty much expect more administrative review if one is from a country not on great terms with the USA.....You can thank all those that try and do things illegally!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

One can pretty much expect more administrative review if one is from a country not on great terms with the USA.....You can thank all those that try and do things illegally!

I was born in Guyana, which is in South America. Its a poorer country, I know that some of the south american drug trade in Venezuela and Brazil does come through it and into Canada or the USA. I don't know why that would affect me, though, I left Guyana as a young child and have a no criminal record. My dad lives in Guyana now, but that's because he retired there, but he is older and also has no criminal history. No one in my family does.

I know they are looking into something because that is what's stated in the letter, but otherwise all my documentation was fine. They said that I have no need to send in anything else. They are just looking at what they have there already...I just dont get why they need to look at it for three months. Does it really take that look to at my naturalization process?

Edited by PriyaB

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In limbo...document confirmed to have been received by Montreal on Apr 1st. Tomorrow will be the the 8 week mark they asked us to wait for processing.

After reading all these posts, it seems to be that i shouldn't be hopeful that our status will change out of administrative processing.

I'm Canadian citizen by naturalization. I immigrated from China (how's China and US getting along these days?), but I was 10 years old. How does that make a difference?!

Because essentially you're treated as if you interviewed in that country VS in Canada. They do more investigating on you and your family.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.