90 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

One more thing .. moving and adjusting in other country is hard .. u dont know how is life in there .. how will people treat u .. I feel that way too but my fiance keep telling me how he will take good care of me and also my daughter .. but something wrong with her is why she asked u to asked other Filipina ?? She cant tell u what she feels inside ?? I think u have to talk to her .. u can't do anything if u dont ask her .. tell her u both need to talk about future life together how u 2 will live in there .. life in there is different like what my fiance telling me .. just enjoy life together ! Always remember this .. We do this for love ! We do this for happiness ! And for the life together ! Hope she will get what she needs to know before the interview ..Filipina is fragile .. even words is important .. its just a culture issue I think ..

Timeline

One more thing .. moving and adjusting in other country is hard .. u dont know how is life in there .. how will people treat u .. I feel that way too but my fiance keep telling me how he will take good care of me and also my daughter .. but something wrong with her is why she asked u to asked other Filipina ?? She cant tell u what she feels inside ?? I think u have to talk to her .. u can't do anything if u dont ask her .. tell her u both need to talk about future life together how u 2 will live in there .. life in there is different like what my fiance telling me .. just enjoy life together ! Always remember this .. We do this for love ! We do this for happiness ! And for the life together ! Hope she will get what she needs to know before the interview ..Filipina is fragile .. even words is important .. its just a culture issue I think ..

That's the only thing I don't understand, She should tell him..not make him find out from others. Maybe she's shy like that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

This...sounds like she wants reassurance. It is a big deal to leave everything behind, everything you have ever known, your life, your job (if you have one), your family, everything to be with someone who lives in a completely different country, different culture, doesn't know anyone but you and soon maybe your family. The cultures are different, the people are different. How much would it scare you to move to her country? To find a job there, to adjust to her culture, and as a foreigner find a job to provide for her? Like already stated, this is a big deal....It is understandable to be afraid and scared of the unknown...all she knows is you.

Hank is right.....when the excitement runs out and she starts to get homesick because she doesn't have family around..will you be there to comfort her, to have compassion on her, to lead her, and to love her, and so much more?

couldn't agree more...of course it is scary to leave everything behind but also very exciting...

germangirlintheusa.blogspot.com

~~~ mrandmrsBRS Visa journey ~~~

Service Center: Vermont

Embassy: Frankfurt/Germany

Marriage: 2014-12-30

I-130 sent: 2015-1-5

I-130 Noa 1: 2015-1-12

I-130 approved: 2015-6-10

Your I-130 was approved in 149 days from your NOA 1 date.

NVC: 2015-7-8

AOS bill: 2015-8-4

AOS P.: 2015-9-22 (e-mail, PDF)

IV bill: 2015-9-15

IV P.: 2015-9-22 (e-mail, PDF)

Case Complete: 2015-10-12 (2015-12-07)

Supervisor Review 2015-11-02Called NVC 2015-12-07 (no longer under supervisor review, waiting for an Interview Date)

Medical: 2016-1-7

Interview Frankfurt: 2016-1-19 (called NVC 2015-12-14) APPROVED :dancing: :wub:

POE: 2016-2-9 ATL (Atlanta)

Nope, Boiler is not spot on... not for a Filipina

Not every filipina, my father in law married one who was very up front that this is what she expected of him in terms of looking after her as she had the local Filipino society to make her feel welcomed and at home in the country. even after being told and shown that they couldn't afford to send money back she insisted, they ended up putting it on the credit card each month, this contributed to the debt that almost lost her her home when he died. I removed this anecdote from my original post so I didn't unduly worry the OP. Between the multiple trips before the visa, after they were married and sending money back they were about $45000 on the credit cards.

People are people and there will always be a few like this in any society so you can't really say all people from one country will be this way or that way.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

While I can't speak to the cultural aspects of the Philippines, I can certainly relate to your wife's cold feet. Like others have said, it is a HUGE step to give up your friends, your family, your home, your job and move half way around the world.... And the US is very different from other countries in a lot of ways. I mean it's a scary place to move to and this comes from a woman who's lived in quite a few places around the world.

It seems that your wife is not the kind of person that will tell you straight out, so why don't you just ask her what she's worried about? Then you can talk about it or find solutions for it. That's what I do with my husband and my friend and it really works. E.g. one of my major fears was the ridiculously expensive medical system that exists in the US, that you need all these insurances and money to get good treatment. I was really freaking out about it, in my head I was thinking I'd be in a car accident and when the ambulance come, they'll leave you dying on the street if your insurance is not good enough. :D But my husband and my friend (both USC) explained how it all works and even though I will never understand that system, at least I feel better about it and reassured. So just go through every worry she has, step by step, explain how it works, make a plan for the things that you can't just "explain away"...

If you're planning on her working when she moves over, help her with her CV, explain how job hunting works in the US etc. If you're planning on her being a housewife, then tell her about the good internet connection you have for her to stay in contact with her family back home, talk about some leisure activities available to her where you live, stores near by, is there a pool in the garden/apartment complex.... For a move this big, planning and preparation is key.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Now that I have your attention.... maybe some of you experts can advise me.....

We got the I-797 approved and were just starting the process of getting a date for the interview when my fiance suddenly got cold feet.

She said she has some doubts and needed me to assure her that she would be “happy and satisfied with no doubts”. She wants to be “assured that I could take care her”.

I tried to ask for specifics but she just advised me to find a Filpina married to an American and ask them.

I actually have a good relationship with her and she says she wants the engagement to continue.

So ...can this be translated for me...is this just cold feet or am I missing a cultural cue.

She needs to tell you, her fiance, directly what she means and needs. Asking you to speculate based on conversations with another couple is asking for disaster. If she is going to have a meaningful relationship with you, she needs to communicate her specific needs to you.

If she can't discuss her fears, needs, and desires with your directly, this specific issue is the least of the problems in store for you.

Timeline

Every woman, regardless of ethnicity and country of origin wants affirmation of security. She needs physical security, emotional security, financial security and spiritual security from YOU. Remember, she is the one who is leaving everything she knows and trusts behind. Even if she lives a hard life in the Philippines, it is still HER life. Be patient with her. Understand her.. Assure her that you will provide for her on all levels. Show her that you are understanding of her situation. Do more than make promises of a good life her (she already knows that), exercise sympathy and compassion in your conversations with her. Remind her that she is strong and brave. She is leaving behind everything. As insignificant as that may seem (especially in light of a better life to come) it is still a difficult process for her.

MEETING

12 March 2012: Met Dyn at a coffee shop in Kuwait

Summer 2012: I returned home to the U.S. to prepare a way for Dyn

Fall 2014: Dyn returns home to Philippines after seven years in Kuwait

ANNULMENT

February 2014: Engaged while I visited Philippines

March 2014: Officially hired attorney and filed for Dyn's annulment in Bohol, Philippines

December 2015: Bohol District Court issues decision in our favor

December 2015: Judge sends transcript of his decision to OSG for processing

February 05 2016: OSG returned receipt and approval to district court in Bohol. CoF to be issued end of second week in February

February 09 2016: Dyn is presented with the Entry of Judgment and her Certificate of Finality via the local court.

February 15 2016: LCR issues annotated marriage certificate, and necessary documents are forwarded to the NSO / PSA visa LBC

April 19 2016: Received CENOMAR and Annotated MC from PSA via private courier. DONE! COMPLETE! FINISHED! OFFICIAL!

I-129F / K1 VISA APPLICATION PROCESS

April 04 2016: I-129F sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS Priority Mail

April 12 2016: Email from USCIS acceptance confirmation

April 17 2016: Official NOA1 hard copy received

July 12 2016: NOA2 Approval hard copy received

July 14 2016: Post Decision Activity email from USCIS

THE LONG WAIT (USCIS misplaced approved petition)

September 16 2016: NVC received approved I-129F petition and assigns case number

INTERVIEW / MEDICAL PROCESS

October 04 2016: Day 1 of medical at SLEC in Manila

October 05 2016: Psychiatric evaluation off-site due to psychological incapacity annulment (10 hour eval with 800 question profile test)

October 13 2016: CFO Seminar completed successfully and certificate awarded (CFO stamp not issued until visa is presented).

October 20 2016: Return to SLEC complete psychological evaluation with resident psychologist (less than ten minutes)

October 21 2016: Vaccination day at SLEC (medical finally complete)

October 25 2016: Visa interview at USEM in Manila (APPROVED)

HOMECOMING

November 19 2016: Dyn's arrival at POE Dulles IAD in Washington DC

December 01 2016: Married

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is not common for a girl from Philippines.

I would seriously consider ending this relationship now.

She may still have a boyfriend in Philippines and isn't ready to end her relationship.

I would hire a someone to investigate her in Philippines for a few months, this should only cost a few hundred dollars.

Best to be proactive rather than sit back and hope for the best......

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Every woman, regardless of ethnicity and country of origin wants affirmation of security.

That goes for everyone though and is not specific to women. Men wants affirmation of security too. They also want to know that the person they choose to marry love them, will stay true to them, support them when they need it and be there through thick and thin.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filipinas are simple in many ways, why would you think that her doubts are out of "something bad"

Don't be negative! It will ruin your trust,

All we need is assurance! In my case, I also had some doubts before starting out K1, specially my fiancé is very open to what I'll expect with him as soon to be my husband.. He once married the love of his life but divorced her after a long marriage... That was my fear, to be dump if he will realize that "I am not the one" and that "I am not perfect for him" but he assured me that going through the divorce he learned a lot and so he earned my trust by explaining patiently to me..

Ask her specifically what makes her cold feet and assure her that you will be there for her no matter what.. Not all filipinas are looking for "great opportunity" in marrying a foreigner because of visa or money..

At the end, it will be your decision matters because it will be your future, positive people will not always jump into bad judgement, it's you who knows your fiancée (you proposed) and so it's up for you to discern..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

On the one hand, she's showing some maturity by giving this some serious thought and not just letting emotions of love assure her all will be OK. Too many people do that (ignore warnings and just follow their heart, hoping for the best).

On the other hand, the fact that she told you to ask others about their experiences (and not just tell you about them and how they relate to her fears/worries) indicates she could be passive aggressive.

Regardless, to answer your question: no, it doesn't sound like she dumped you at all. Bit worrisome that you're jumping to that conclusion though. A sign you don't understand her that well and/or are feeling insecure about your relationship (or, if I'm wrong, then well, you know the answer to your own question better than us strangers here on VJ).

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Nobody here really knows what she is thinking when she makes the statements that you provided on your OP. In the end, it's up to you. Listen to your GUT and asked questions to unearth the reason behind the reason. Then and only then will your pathway be lite.

There are good suggestions posted in this thread on how to make her comfortable when she arrives but for now, it's all about what you discover about your future with her before she arrives.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Indeed. She may not know how to express herself. You and her need to be intentional in conversation and probe her thoughts and feelings to tey and bring her out.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

i can honestly think of only 2 reasons.

1) one, she has always wanted to come to America, find a good man who provides for her and she's attracted to at the same time - basically genuinely love him.

BUT, you're not that to her. However you're very kind to her in so many ways, and she's a good person within - and doesn't wanna lie to herself and just USE you to come here and just "try" to love you, be happy with you, and be contented with you.

or

2) she wants to make sure you're gonna end up actually marrying her, and helping her adjust her status to acquire the 2 yr GC., Man, SHAME is a big thing in the Philippines.. she doesnt wanna end up back in the Philippines feeling like a loser - having been already in a bed and now be back on the floor if you know what im saying..unless she has this assurance, she's gonna feel like this until its actually already happening.

Im almost sure of either one of them.. but you know her best - so maybe ask her for the truth and go from there..

What I find a bit disturbing is that she won't communicate her needs with you. Having cold feet about moving to a new country is normal. It is both exciting and scary. But this is, in my opinion, not the issue.

The issue is that she won't tell you her fears and needs but expects you to meet a certain invisible standard. Is she very young? I can't imagine a mature woman playing the "you go figure it out" card. Other unknown couples are NOT in your relationship.

You should let her know that a lack of communication is your fear, you are letting her know directly, and that her response (where you are 100% responsible for allaying her unknown fears) is unacceptable.

Edited by Cheezees

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.