NellyandNicky

Madicaid/Medicare

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

yes absolutely, your USC wife(and any USC kids) can get it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Your post does not make any sense!

Before you ask questions about medicare/medicaid, please make sure you read and understand what it actually means/what the differences are.

Just to make it easy for you here's what you can find on the internet with a simple search:

Medicare: In general, all persons 65 years of age or older who have been legal residents of the United States for at least 5 years are eligible for Medicare. People with disabilities under 65 may also be eligible if they receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. Specific medical conditions may also help people become eligible to enroll in Medicare.
Medicaid: Medicaid is a program intended for those with low income, but a low income is not the only requirement to enroll in the program. Eligibility is categorical—that is, to enroll you must be a member of a category defined by statute; some of these categories include low-income children below a certain age, pregnant women, parents of Medicaid-eligible children who meet certain income requirements, and low-income seniors. The details of how each category is defined vary from state to state.

What is it that you don't want exactly?

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm sorry. I don't know the difference.

I'm using a WiFi from the neighbour which is open to send this message, and try looking things on the internet, while mosquitoes are trying (and succeeding) eating me alive.

Library is usually closed when I'm off work.

To you might be a simple search, but to me is an excruciating one.

To the other reply. How does she apply? I told her to find information when she called me from the hospital and try to apply, but because all the medication she got the wrong information, and instead got information on how to apply for Obama care stuff.

Before I got married and had to go to the hospital, I have always being giving something to file, saying I could be illegible to free care. Don't know why she didn't get the same papers...

Timeline

Reading your reply, Medicaid would be what I'm hoping she can apply without my involvement.

She was taken to the ER through an ambulance, if such information helps.

She made just over 5000 last year (I couldn't work since my papers weren't done yet, so that was the only income we had). If she worked all year this year, she could make around 10000, and so would I, since I make about the same as her.

But I don't know how long she will be off from work, and they offer no benefits. So she doesn't get any pay unless she works.

I have a bad back (car accident 5 years ago, which left me with a dislodged l5, and permanent damage to my sciatica nerve. I require surgery too, but can't afford one), so getting a second job could end me up at the hospital too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm sorry. I don't know the difference.

I'm using a WiFi from the neighbour which is open to send this message, and try looking things on the internet, while mosquitoes are trying (and succeeding) eating me alive.

Library is usually closed when I'm off work.

To you might be a simple search, but to me is an excruciating one.

To the other reply. How does she apply? I told her to find information when she called me from the hospital and try to apply, but because all the medication she got the wrong information, and instead got information on how to apply for Obama care stuff.

Before I got married and had to go to the hospital, I have always being giving something to file, saying I could be illegible to free care. Don't know why she didn't get the same papers...

I think due to low income she may be eligible for medicaid.

You can check eligibility here: https://www.healthcare.gov/screener/

Good luck!

Timeline

There should be social workers in hospital that can help her, have her ask one of the nurses.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

She called the hospital, they said they couldn't help her. She found a place near by which she could apply (she tried doing online but things didn't work). The place just gave her a form to file. She tried doing so, but couldn't since her writing hand didn't work (because of the accident) . No one there helped her file, so she had to come home and have me file for her (wonder what happens for those in the same situation but with no one to help them)

In the form there was an option to exclude anyone in the household in which did not need or wanted Medicaid. I put my name under that. Now we must wait and see if she qualifies...

Timeline

Did she ask for help in the hospital? They usually have people who can set up payment plans in their billing department, and social workers who can help with medicaid applications and such.

I know after I had a baby, I had two social workers coming to visit in the 12 hours I was there, trying to get me enrolled in medicaid because we didn't have insurance (we didn't need it though, we self-paid and got a sizeable discount for paying ahead of time).

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

If she was pregnant or had a kid would be much easier.

No, the hospital did nothing but to refer to places, in which we went and also could do nothing for her, they could only give other referrals that lead us nowhere. Is passed 10 days now. She was supposed to see a doctor within 5.

Filed: Timeline

I believe you are in Gwinnett County correct??

So you need to contact the Dept of Social Services (the welfare office) for assistance in getting medical benefits/food assistance/whatever other assistance they can provide.

You can typically go down in person and apply. They will help you fill out the forms so that only the USC is applying and gets everything they are eligible for.

I would start with this place here-

Norcross Human Services Center

Norcross Human Services Center
5030 Georgia Belle Ct
Norcross GA 30093-2667

Norcross Human Services Center (NHSC) is a "one-stop" integrated center, offering a wide array of health and human services, and programs to low income individuals, families, and seniors.

The Center partners with other governmental and nonprofit agencies, and volunteers to provide resources and programs that promote health, financial growth, self-esteem, efficiency, and empowerment to the citizens of our local community

The Norcross Human Services Center houses the following agencies:

Four Corners Primary Care Centers

Gwinnett County Tag Office

Right from the Start Medicaid - satellite office

Ninth District Opportunity, Inc. (Norcross Head Start and Pre-K Program)

Norcross Health Center

Norcross Senior Center

View Point Health

They also have listed two other social service locations as-

Buford Human Services Center
2755 Sawnee Ave
Buford GA 30518-2560

Centerville Community Center

3025 Bethany Church Road
Snellville GA 30039

But Norcross seems to be the most applicable. Call the giant red number and ask for assistance of where to go to apply in person for medical/food/general assistance for a USC.

Information was taken from-

https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gwinnett/Departments/CommunityServices/HealthandHumanServices/ServiceCenters

YOU CAN ALSO CALL the general help line number they have for your county and ask for assistance-

Gwinnett Helpline 770.995.3339

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.