Rob L

Guns in America: For every criminal killed in self-defense, 34 innocent people die

119 posts in this topic

Ah yes, the cars comparison. As useless as ever. But let's stick with it for just a moment anyways. Given the claimed similarities, should guns not be registered and require the owner to carry liability insurance same as is the case for cars? How about it?

It's a good comparison, you just don't like it because no matter how many people die or get injured in cars, it's ok in your book because cars serve a purpose. Ditto for alcohol which destroys more lives each year than guns do.

I have no problem with gun licensing, background checks etc. Insurance would be new ground. I don't know if all states have mandatory auto insurance, at one time some states didn't require it.

Edited by spookyturtle

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's a good comparison, you just don't like it because no matter how many people die or get injured in cars, it's ok in your book because cars serve a purpose. Ditto for alcohol which destroys more lives each year than guns do.

I have no problem with gun licensing, background checks etc. Insurance would be new ground. I don't know if all states have mandatory auto insurance, at one time some states didn't require it.

let's just license other rights too, like free speech, voting.....

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah yes, the cars comparison. As useless as ever. But let's stick with it for just a moment anyways. Given the claimed similarities, should guns not be registered and require the owner to carry liability insurance same as is the case for cars? How about it?

The cars comparison is in my estimation lame.

No weapon ever took a child to school, took you to a job, drove you to mom's on Thanksgiving or took you to the doctor. Cars are an essential part of modern society for most people for every day and special events. Hand guns are a very specific tool for a very specific set of circumstances. If rototillers had the same death per interaction rate as handguns, we would have a federal rototiller registry.

I do agree with you that mandatory gun owner insurance would help bring a free market perspective to the true cost of ownership. Just like cars, young men would pay a higher rate.

Edited by Rob L

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

let's just license other rights too, like free speech, voting.....

The states place several restrictions (registration) on your ability to vote based on your ability to prove identity and rights. The supreme court upholds those laws despite no one ever dying from voting.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: Timeline

The states place several restrictions (registration) on your ability to vote based on your ability to prove identity and rights. The supreme court upholds those laws despite no one ever dying from voting.

Exactly. One has to actively register to vote and one's act of voting is registered as well.

Feel free to not read and reply to all of the endless threads on guns in America....you can exercise that right.

The original topic did not deal with ones legal rights to own or carry a weapon.

Thus is a thread dealing with whether on the whole guns make Americans safer. No one has brought data to show how many lives are saved that I can see

I did exersise that right and left this forum for quite a while. I can see that nothing has changed, the same endless threads on how unsafe we are with the availibility of guns in America. I am still not commenting on that point, just on the futility of b!tching about it on the internet. Since I decided to jump back into the shark tank and make a comment I just picked the first thread about guns in general.

My point is this, until the 2nd ammendment is repealed there are going to be guns in America. Since it seems doubtfull that it is going to be repealed or severly restricted then this is the way of America. Thus pointing out that innocent people die because of guns is like pointing out that people die from drunk drivers. The only way to stop those deaths is to outlaw cars or booze. Neither is unlikely to ever happen. The futility of the exersise just struck me when I came back into the forum and saw the number of threads about the subject.

Forgive me but it just looked like a huge waste of time discussing this in an immigration forum with no real chance of changing anything.

To those that feel strongly about this I would suggest that the time would be better spent doing something about it. Start a petition to repeal the 2nd ammendment. Have rallies and meetings to gain support for your cause. Contact your elected reps and talk to them about it. That is really the only way to stop gun violence in America. Sitting at your desk at work and complaining really does not do anything but maybe make yourself feel better.

I did exersise that right and left this forum for quite a while. I can see that nothing has changed, the same endless threads on how unsafe we are with the availibility of guns in America. I am still not commenting on that point, just on the futility of b!tching about it on the internet. Since I decided to jump back into the shark tank and make a comment I just picked the first thread about guns in general.

My point is this, until the 2nd ammendment is repealed there are going to be guns in America. Since it seems doubtfull that it is going to be repealed or severly restricted then this is the way of America. Thus pointing out that innocent people die because of guns is like pointing out that people die from drunk drivers. The only way to stop those deaths is to outlaw cars or booze. Neither is unlikely to ever happen. The futility of the exersise just struck me when I came back into the forum and saw the number of threads about the subject.

Forgive me but it just looked like a huge waste of time discussing this in an immigration forum with no real chance of changing anything.

To those that feel strongly about this I would suggest that the time would be better spent doing something about it. Start a petition to repeal the 2nd ammendment. Have rallies and meetings to gain support for your cause. Contact your elected reps and talk to them about it. That is really the only way to stop gun violence in America. Sitting at your desk at work and complaining really does not do anything but maybe make yourself feel better.

Well damn! Here I thought my 3 plus years of participation in the VJ CEHST forum was really making a difference in the world. Who knew? :rolleyes:

Well damn! Here I thought my 3 plus years of participation in the VJ CEHST forum was really making a difference in the world. Who knew? :rolleyes:

Yeah, my 9+ years were a wasted effort as well.

I was never really interested in the topic of guns. I don't have one although I have in the past. My real interest is global warming. But there isn't a thread on that so I just picked the guns as a subject to jump back in with.

Yeah, my 9+ years were a wasted effort as well.

I was never really interested in the topic of guns. I don't have one although I have in the past. My real interest is global warming. But there isn't a thread on that so I just picked the guns as a subject to jump back in with.

We've made major progress here in CEHST in reversing the effects of global warming. We just had record snowfall in the Northeast this past winter and I've heard chatter amongst the leading climate scientists that the folks on VJ are to thank. You should start a thread about it, it might even pull Steven out of the weeds.

We've made major progress here in CEHST in reversing the effects of global warming. We just had record snowfall in the Northeast this past winter and I've heard chatter amongst the leading climate scientists that the folks on VJ are to thank. You should start a thread about it, it might even pull Steven out of the weeds.

You have? Damn, I missed it. I need to find a story that supports my views so Steven and I can continue to make progress on that topic.

You have? Damn, I missed it. I need to find a story that supports my views so Steven and I can continue to make progress on that topic.

We are also responsible for all of the major restaurant chains pulling trans fats. See what you miss when you're away?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Engineers and scientists are constantly to improve the safety of electrical technology....can we say the same for the firearms industry

Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders once called for "safer guns and safer bullets," if memory serves.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Perhaps that is why there is 110v here, it is safer?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”