germancho24

Petitioner got fired just before interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi,

Our AOS was approved a long time ago, I received an interview appointment two months ago but since I moved to another country I had to change my embassy and now I am waiting for a new appointment in my current country of residence.

The problem is that my wife (petitioner) just got fired yesterday and I don't know what will happen now if I am called for the interview. Will I have to update the AOS and say she was fired? Off course I will not lie if they ask me what is her job, so I will have to say she was recently fired.

Also, if I say she was fired will they immediately reject my application or is there a way to hold it until she gets a new job? She is an engineer and was fired because the company decided to eliminate many positions due to the oil industry crisis. I am very positive she will get another job in less than a couple of months. I would appreciate your advice on what to expect and how to proceed.

Regards,

Germancho

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Co sponsor would be the safe option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Since that is a material change, you do have to tell the CO at the interview. I would get a co-sponsor just in case your wife doesn't get a new job by the time of the interview.

11/06: Husband EWI from Mexico
11/08: Started dating

11/11: Husband got deported
1/11/14: Got married
3/13/14-11/2/14:
I-130
1/26/15-3/17/15: NVC

5/28/15: INTERVIEW - denied

6/8/15: I-601/I-212 waivers received

11/17/15: I-601/I-212 waivers APPROVED

12/11/15: HUBBY HOME!! :dance:

Hi,

Our AOS was approved a long time ago, I received an interview appointment two months ago but since I moved to another country I had to change my embassy and now I am waiting for a new appointment in my current country of residence.

The problem is that my wife (petitioner) just got fired yesterday and I don't know what will happen now if I am called for the interview. Will I have to update the AOS and say she was fired? Off course I will not lie if they ask me what is her job, so I will have to say she was recently fired.

Also, if I say she was fired will they immediately reject my application or is there a way to hold it until she gets a new job? She is an engineer and was fired because the company decided to eliminate many positions due to the oil industry crisis. I am very positive she will get another job in less than a couple of months. I would appreciate your advice on what to expect and how to proceed.

Regards,

Germancho

Hi,

Same thing happened to me and my husband just 2 weeks ago. Will your interview be this week? If your wife just got fired yesterday, bring all her recent 2 months paystubs , her ITR and w2s and job employment letter. The CO will definitely understand what happened since it's normal thing. try to get your wife an interview for a job for the remaining days and print that (like interview letter, job offer letter )

What happened was, when we found out my husband has end of contract 2 weeks before my interview, I immediately find him a job over indeed.com, career.com and was able to land him a job interview and offer. We gave a copy of that to the CO as well as his recent pay stubs.

You can do it. The CO will definitely understand especially it's just recent. Try to also contact at least someone who can co-sponsor you just worst case scenario so that you'll be prepared for the interview. Tell them that if your wife will not be able to find a job right away, there's someone who is willing to co-sponsor you, you can put it like an affidavit or written letter.

God Bless on your journey. Keep the Faith. :)

Edited by sweet01
710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

Same thing happened to me and my husband just 2 weeks ago. Will your interview be this week? If your wife just got fired yesterday, bring all her recent 2 months paystubs , her ITR and w2s and job employment letter. The CO will definitely understand what happened since it's normal thing. try to get your wife an interview for a job for the remaining days and print that (like interview letter, job offer letter )

What happened was, when we found out my husband has end of contract 2 weeks before my interview, I immediately find him a job over indeed.com, career.com and was able to land him a job interview and offer. We gave a copy of that to the CO as well as his recent pay stubs.

You can do it. The CO will definitely understand especially it's just recent. Try to also contact at least someone who can co-sponsor you just worst case scenario so that you'll be prepared for the interview. Tell them that if your wife will not be able to find a job right away, there's someone who is willing to co-sponsor you, you can put it like an affidavit or written letter.

God Bless on your journey. Keep the Faith. :)

This situation is completely not applicable to the OP's situation. Going off your timeline, you were recently interviewed by a USCIS officer at a USCIS office; not a CO at an Embassy or Consulate. Bringing recent paystubs, w2's, etc. etc. will be completely useless if the petitioner has no current source of income. The CO won't care how recent the loss of income is, no source of income will equal refusal of visa until either A) the source of income is replaced or B) an I-864 from a Joint Sponsor is submitted. I can't speak to what kind of discretion USCIS officers have at Adjustment of Status interviews when looking over an I-864 but CO's have to make a decision on the "likely to become a public charge" question and the decision will not be a favorable one if the petitioner has no current source of income and no Joint Sponsor.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

This situation is completely not applicable to the OP's situation. Going off your timeline, you were recently interviewed by a USCIS officer at a USCIS office; not a CO at an Embassy or Consulate. Bringing recent paystubs, w2's, etc. etc. will be completely useless if the petitioner has no current source of income. The CO won't care how recent the loss of income is, no source of income will equal refusal of visa until either A) the source of income is replaced or B) an I-864 from a Joint Sponsor is submitted. I can't speak to what kind of discretion USCIS officers have at Adjustment of Status interviews when looking over an I-864 but CO's have to make a decision on the "likely to become a public charge" question and the decision will not be a favorable one if the petitioner has no current source of income and no Joint Sponsor.

no source of income? it's underemployment benefit considers an income since you still have to file tax from it.

Thank you for bringing that information. Well, a co-sponsor will definitely be the BEST resort right now. I'm just saying that if it's just recent, and the petitioner have been working for these past years and earning over poverty line and have liquid assets over poverty line plus providing W2s, ITR, paystubs for the recent months, bank statements then why not. Simultaneously, they can also look for jobs before the interview.

My two cents; A sympathetic CO may approve if convinced that OP's wife present lack of a job is temporary and that she is otherwise well capable of supporting OP. A CO may also give OP a request for additional information within a certain period of time to provide further evidence of financial support. I've read threads last month regarding losing a job of a petitioner whether spouse or fiance visa and whether CO or USCIS officer, since I've been very worried as well of my situation that time and yes, some interviews were approved since some Petitioners just recently lose their jobs weeks before the interview and some were given ample time to submit further evidence and got approved.

Edited by sweet01
710-23-2014 - K1 interview (Phils): Approved
10-31-2014 - K1 Visa received
01-20-2015 - POE
02-20-2015 - Marriage
03-20-2015 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Submission (day 0) ** date I submitted ***
03-24-2015 - NOA1 received (day 4)
03-27-2015 - NOA1 hard copies received (day 7)
04-06-2015 - Biometrics letter hard copy received (day 17)
04-16-2015 - Biometrics Appointment (day 27)
05-01-2015 - USCIS changed to Interview is scheduled (day 42)
05-06-2015 - Hardcopy of interview notice received ( I-797 C, NOA) (day 46)
06-02-2015- Conditional GC got approved (day 82) 
06-08-2015- Hard copy of Welcome notice received via mail (day 88)
06-10-2015- Actual GC received via mail  (day 90)
ROC
4/06/17 - Sent package (day 0)
4/7/17 -  USCIS received package (day 1) NOA date
4/14/17 - check encashed (day 😎
4/15/17 - NOA 1 received (day 9)
4/22/17 - Biometrics notice date (day 16)
4/29/17 - Biometrics notice letter received (day 23)
5/9/17 - Biometrics done (day 33)
3/19/18 - Case approved
3/23/18 - Approval letter received
4/6/18 - Actual 10-yr GC received 
N400 (under 3-year rule)
4/27/18 - filed N400 online (Friday) (day 0)
4/27/18 - paid/payment received (day 0)
4/27/18 - NOA date
5/21/18 - Biometrics done
7/25/18 - Interview letter date
8/31/18 - Scheduled interview. Got approved!
9/20/18 - Naturalization ceremony in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA

"Seasons of waiting are designed to prepare you, stretch your faith, and get you ready for everything that's coming next" - curiano quotes life

Just to note, an AOS is never approved or denied until interview. The NVC simply checks for completeness and accuracy. The CO at the interview always has the final word. If anything changes between a case complete and the interview you are required to update the I-864. Not to do so would be material misrepresentation and can lead to a denial and/or ban.

The best thing in the case of a petitioner losing employment and not having enough assets is to find a joint sponsor.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.