23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Visa Journeyers!

I'm a bit confused about the expiration date of my approved K-1 visa. Today I picked up my passport/visa packet via Loomis Courier from here in Canada and was shocked at the expiration date I saw in my passport. My visa was issued on June 5th 2015 and it states it expires July 15th 2015!! Now last I checked aren't K-1 visa's have valid for 6 months?! I'm losing my marbles here because my fiancé and I never intended on me coming over until after summer. I still have a few obligations to tie up here before I depart for the U.S. Do I contact the U.S. Consulate in Montreal? Answers would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey Visa Journeyers!

I'm a bit confused about the expiration date of my approved K-1 visa. Today I picked up my passport/visa packet via Loomis Courier from here in Canada and was shocked at the expiration date I saw in my passport. My visa was issued on June 5th 2015 and it states it expires July 15th 2015!! Now last I checked aren't K-1 visa's have valid for 6 months?! I'm losing my marbles here because my fiancé and I never intended on me coming over until after summer. I still have a few obligations to tie up here before I depart for the U.S. Do I contact the U.S. Consulate in Montreal? Answers would be greatly appreciated thanks!

When did you have your medical done?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

No timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

When did you have your medical done?

I had my medical done on January 14th 2015. I was under the impression though that the visa was good for 6 months after issuance. It also states PET Filed 19 FEB 2014/ REVALID TO: 12 SEPT 2015. What does this mean exactly?

Timeline

It is the medical, that is a long time ago.

Timeline

It is the medical, that is a long time ago.

Timeline

I had my medical done on January 14th 2015. I was under the impression though that the visa was good for 6 months after issuance. It also states PET Filed 19 FEB 2014/ REVALID TO: 12 SEPT 2015. What does this mean exactly?

WOW that was way to early. The POE (Point of entry) clock starts when you have your medical. So that's why you have 30 days to enter the US.

And a Visa is good for 6 months starting from medical on. That's why we wait until we are ready for interview and we get medical usually the week prior.

I'm sorry you didn't know.

You can try and see if the embassy will reissue you a Visa (I doubt especially with all the Visa issues they are having now) but hey doesn't hurt to ask.

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

I was under the impression that the medical was valid for 1 year. I had my medical on January 14th and my interview was on May 13th. and my visa was issued on June 5th. From my research I thought that I had six months after my interview visa issuance to activate it before it became invalid. Now can I extend it? and get another medical done in support of that extension? This whole process has been so confusing!

Timeline

WOW that was way to early. The POE (Point of entry) clock starts when you have your medical. So that's why you have 30 days to enter the US.

And a Visa is good for 6 months starting from medical on. That's why we wait until we are ready for interview and we get medical usually the week prior.

I'm sorry you didn't know.

You can try and see if the embassy will reissue you a Visa (I doubt especially with all the Visa issues they are having now) but hey doesn't hurt to ask.

The reason I had my medical done back in January was because I was originally set to have my interview in Montreal sometime in the first week of February but my fiancé couldn't get a hold of her tax documentations so we just opted to have the interview in May so she could compile all of her tax documents without any further rush/delays. I had no clue POE starts when the medical is done.

Timeline

I was under the impression that the medical was valid for 1 year. I had my medical on January 14th and my interview was on May 13th. and my visa was issued on June 5th. From my research I thought that I had six months after my interview visa issuance to activate it before it became invalid. Now can I extend it? and get another medical done in support of that extension? This whole process has been so confusing!

No it doesn't work that way. You would have had to do the medical again before the interview. The medical for your K1 adjustment of status application yes is good for a year. A whole different matter. But for entry to US nope.

Medicals have always started the clock for all Visa types. Sorry.

To get the embassy to reissue you another K1 is very rare and you would have to have a very good reason. Not a got a too early medical. And the bad thing is I know you say you have things to finish up and if you go to US you will be stuck for a spell (probably at least 6 months at least ) depending how fast you marry and how fast you submit your AOS package and your Advance Parole (which will allow you to leave the US which comes within 90 days after you file it.

The reason I had my medical done back in January was because I was originally set to have my interview in Montreal sometime in the first week of February but my fiancé couldn't get a hold of her tax documentations so we just opted to have the interview in May so she could compile all of her tax documents without any further rush/delays. I had no clue POE starts when the medical is done.

I'm sorry. It's crazy fun. But hey through all this craziness Congratulations on the approval. :goofy:

ROC I-751

N-400

We mention it quite a bit on the forum, especially in the Canada forum, but you may not have run across that. Unfortuneatly that is the expiration date and I don't think there is anything you can do about it. The medical is only valid for 6 months for consular filing. It is then good for 1 year from medical date for your AOS. If you do not AOS quickly enough, you may have to get another medical in the USA as well.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Ahaha! Thank you anyhow. I did message the Consulate explain the situation so hopefully I hear back from them tomorrow. If anything though I guess I'll have to just go!! Thank you all for your advice :)

No it doesn't work that way. You would have had to do the medical again before the interview. The medical for your K1 adjustment of status application yes is good for a year. A whole different matter. But for entry to US nope.

Medicals have always started the clock for all Visa types. Sorry.

To get the embassy to reissue you another K1 is very rare and you would have to have a very good reason. Not a got a too early medical. And the bad thing is I know you say you have things to finish up and if you go to US you will be stuck for a spell (probably at least 6 months at least ) depending how fast you marry and how fast you submit your AOS package and your Advance Parole (which will allow you to leave the US which comes within 90 days after you file it.

I'm sorry. It's crazy fun. But hey through all this craziness Congratulations on the approval. :goofy:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.