BrooklynCatcher

Girlfriend w/ Illegal Situation

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi all,

I am currently dating a Russian citizen who recently received her green card last month. I am worried about her immigration situation, because it is not entirely legal. I am located in Pennsylvania in the USA.

She is married to another Russian citizen and they began their immigration case together because she said it would be cheaper and easier to do so this way. They have been separated for 3 years, though, but she obtained her green card with him as a couple. They arrived in the United States 4 years ago on student visas. They married here in a courthouse with no real wedding. While they were "dating" at the time, they both clearly did this for immigration purposes as they separated without divorcing very shortly thereafter.

She told me in the past she has done interviews where they still pretended to be together, but were in fact lying to ICE. Traveled to New York City and answered questions about being a couple, even though they were living separately. She still claims she is married to him, even though she is definitely not, has seen him very sporadically since we began dating, etc. I'm afraid this constitutes a sham marriage, even though she didn't get married to a US citizen for citizenship purposes, she married another immigrant to make it easier.

She has been living with me for a year, it says we are in a relationship on Facebook, gets immigration documents sent to my residence. Her name is on two of my bills. Her husband is not listed anywhere or anywhere to be seen really, minus the occasional phone call verifying birthdays, social security numbers, etc.

My question to you is, can she get in trouble for doing this, or can I? What are the potential risks to this situation? How (or is there any way) to make this situation legal so she does not face any consequences? What can I do to prevent anything bad from arising from this?

Also: I worry that people who do not have her best interest in mind may be aware of this situation. If they file a tip, how seriously are they taken? I would hate to have something bad happen to her.

Thanks for your help,

-B

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Post violating the TOS (language filter evasion) removed and returned without the offending language.***

RUN!...you want no part of this. I'm dead serious.

This is the biggest most and easiest scam these Russian babes pull

on dumb naive American males. You're paying the bills and when ol' Ivan steps into the U.S.

she's right back with him (hubby) leaving you scratching your ######## wondering what went wrong.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You appear to be an accomplice in activity by your GF that involves immigration fraud.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Timeline

***Post violating the TOS (language filter evasion) removed and returned without the offending language.***

I'd be concerned with that if she wasn't paying for half of everything, cooking dinner every night, keeping my house clean, taking care of my dog and being the financial breadwinner at times when I'm investing in my own business.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Moderator hat now off**

OP, you need to sever ties with this woman. After that, you need to make an INFOPASS appointment at your nearest USCIS office with the FDNS (Fraud Detection and National Security Directorate) officer to report these people. USCIS would've been the agency these people lied to, not ICE.

~~Moderator hat back on~~

***Moved from US Citizenship Discussion to General Immigraiton-Related Discussion.***

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi all,
I am currently dating a Russian citizen who recently received her green card last month. I am worried about her immigration situation, because it is not entirely legal. I am located in Pennsylvania in the USA.
Thanks for your help,
-B

You can report her if you want, if you don't want to do that, that's your business. I assume that you have not signed any immigration documents for her and that you have nothing to do with this sham, if so, nothing will happen to you. If you are ever contacted by USCIS about her situation, and they ask you anything about it, I suggest you be very honest with them, if you lie to the USCIS, you can be prosecuted.

Filed: Timeline
it says we are in a relationship on Facebook
so that makes it very 'official' I guess
Her name is on two of my bills.
I suspect her name will be on a lot more if you're not careful
My question to you is, can she get in trouble for doing this, or can I? What are the potential risks to this situation? How (or is there any way) to make this situation legal so she does not face any consequences? What can I do to prevent anything bad from arising from this?
Yes, she can get into trouble. If she did, indeed, commit fraud to obtain her Green Card then there's nothing really to be done to ameliorate that. She can spend the rest of her life repenting and confessing, but if USCIS determined she committed fraud then she would be deportable and be barred from further immigration opportunities in the future. The real danger to you is an emotional roller coaster ride if she gets caught, or even worse, you find out that your very 'relationship' is a sham to secure some benefit she's after. Seriously, I'd have a very difficult time putting my faith and trust into someone who divulged to me a clear pattern of deception and flaunting of the law to obtain the desired end - that is a character trait, a flawed character trait in my mind, that is at the core of who she is as a person. In short, the real danger to you is getting used and tossed aside when she's got what she wants.
Also: I worry that people who do not have her best interest in mind may be aware of this situation. If they file a tip, how seriously are they taken? I would hate to have something bad happen to her.
She's brought this upon herself. There's nothing you or she or her husband can do about it now. If she wants to spare herself the repercussions if USCIS were to find out, then she should return from whence she came. Otherwise, it's just a waiting game to see if the hammer ever drops. If you want to continue in a relationship with her, then proceed with extreme caution and make a real effort to protect yourself.

Timeline

Thank you all very much for your help. I appreciate your responses tremendously.

If I continue on in this relationship, am I breaking the law? I have never, ever signed any documents, spoken to a single immigration officer, or had anything to do with her situation whatsoever. Unfortunately I do know what she has told me, I wish I didn't.

If USCIS is tipped off to this information, will she be arrested? Put in jail? Will USCIS visit my home? I'm sure many people know about her and her husband's situation, and being that she is living with me, I will have to witness these things first hand. What process typically occurs when USCIS finds out about a situation like this? I would like to be mentally prepared for the possible consequences of her situation while I figure out what I'm going to do here. I never fully considered the ramifications of this.

If she is deported/jailed, who will be responsible for her bills (car payment, credit card)?

It's truly such a shame this was her entry to America. Really breaks my heart. Thank you all for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You'd better consult some experienced immigration attorneys. Immigration law is Federal, so you need not restrict yourself to a local firm.

The (I believe) largest immigration firm west of the Mississippi is:

http://www.fosterglobal.com

They have an extremely reasonably priced e-mail or phone consultation program. Click "Individuals & Families" and proceed.

I have no connection with the firm except as a satisfied former customer.

Please let us know what they tell you. It would be good to know the official reading of the situation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey dude, watch your language.. but most important - I suggest you to start thinking as a smart person...(no offense!)

Because what you said sounds like it's coming out of the superficial mind...

Go to EIOR virtual library and read law cases against foreigners that violated immigration rules for the last hundred years including nowadays..You'll find "babes" and "dudes" from many cultures, and their stories are more twisted than this one.

http://www.justice.gov/eoir/ag-bia-decisions

Yes, the girl did absolutely wrong...But the author of the post was brave enough to share such a personal thing. It doesnt mean that he's the only one out there to experience this.

Edited by olna83

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi all,
She is married to another Russian citizen and they began their immigration case together because she said it would be cheaper and easier to do so this way. They have been separated for 3 years, though, but she obtained her green card with him as a couple. They arrived in the United States 4 years ago on student visas. They married here in a courthouse with no real wedding. While they were "dating" at the time, they both clearly did this for immigration purposes as they separated without divorcing very shortly thereafter.
She told me in the past she has done interviews where they still pretended to be together, but were in fact lying to ICE. Traveled to New York City and answered questions about being a couple, even though they were living separately. She still claims she is married to him, even though she is definitely not, has seen him very sporadically since we began dating, etc. I'm afraid this constitutes a sham marriage, even though she didn't get married to a US citizen for citizenship purposes, she married another immigrant to make it easier.
She has been living with me for a year, it says we are in a relationship on Facebook, gets immigration documents sent to my residence. Her name is on two of my bills. Her husband is not listed anywhere or anywhere to be seen really, minus the occasional phone call verifying birthdays, social security numbers, etc.
Thanks for your help,
-B

Hi,

I dont know how serious you're about the girl, and may be she's a nice person in other aspects (though we're not here to discuss this). But just be very careful and be aware of the potential outcomes. That's all I can say.

Read the below..It can turn painfully for both of you.

http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/russian-who-advertised-spouse-craigslist-convicted-marriage-fraud

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi all,
She told me in the past she has done interviews where they still pretended to be together, but were in fact lying to ICE. Traveled to New York City and answered questions about being a couple, even though they were living separately. She still claims she is married to him, even though she is definitely not, has seen him very sporadically since we began dating, etc.

Sir, can you explain the highlighted? You say she is married, she married in a courthouse, they obtained green cards as a result of marriage, yet you say she 'claims' she is married but 'she is definitely not'

It does seem like she is certainly married

Does this not bother you?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you like her and she likes you, why worry about all that stuff she is here who cares how she got here? If love isn't blind why would so many people marry people from other countries. Do what makes you happy, why worry about something you have no control over. If you did get married I personally would not file joint tax returns with someone like that, better safe than sorry. That is when you can get in trouble, otherwise your relationship with her isn't breaking any laws.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'd be concerned with that if she wasn't paying for half of everything, cooking dinner every night, keeping my house clean, taking care of my dog and being the financial breadwinner at times when I'm investing in my own business.

BAM you shut that down real quick .. they like to judge the Russians here.

Anyhow.. i would speak with her to clarity what it is that she is really doing .

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you all very much for your help. I appreciate your responses tremendously.

If I continue on in this relationship, am I breaking the law? I have never, ever signed any documents, spoken to a single immigration officer, or had anything to do with her situation whatsoever. Unfortunately I do know what she has told me, I wish I didn't.

If USCIS is tipped off to this information, will she be arrested? Put in jail? Will USCIS visit my home? I'm sure many people know about her and her husband's situation, and being that she is living with me, I will have to witness these things first hand. What process typically occurs when USCIS finds out about a situation like this? I would like to be mentally prepared for the possible consequences of her situation while I figure out what I'm going to do here. I never fully considered the ramifications of this.

If she is deported/jailed, who will be responsible for her bills (car payment, credit card)?

It's truly such a shame this was her entry to America. Really breaks my heart. Thank you all for your help.

Bro you are not breaking any law, she is, but if USCIS contacts you, be HONEST and don't lie to them. We cannot predict the future and tell you what will happen to her, it is at USCIS' discretion.

If the car payments and credit card bills are to your name, you will be responsible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.