Soup Dragon

Disappointed....homesick already

35 posts in this topic

OP, I am hoping to avoid that in my fiance when he comes. It's such a big change and so overwhelming too. I am hoping to have over a week off from work so I can be here with him initially, but I wonder if the move will finally hit him once he's alone. We can do all sorts of fun and interesting things in my city, but once everyday life starts happening, then what? How do I make him feel more comfortable? I'm hoping he will be able to find his own friends and that he will soon learn to drive to gain more personal freedom.

One thing I'm hoping for is for him to pick up his classes again within a few months of his arrival. Do you think that may help you? Maybe if you can see if there is a college course (credit or non-credit) that you can take for photography, painting, swimming or anything else that interests you? Have you looked at Meetup.com? You may be able to find some local groups that interest you too. At least you can get out and find some different people to talk to, that may help your melancholy?

I don't think there is anything wrong with how you are feeling; I think it's natural. Just keep trying to see how you can cope. Your posts interests me a great deal and I hope you get some great advice that helps you out!!

Signature coming soon...

It is never easy to leave the place you know and people you love. It is hard to start in a new place. So, it is normal feeling homesick, however, it will pass. It will take some time until you get adjust to your new life. try to keep yourself busy, doing something, maybe studying at home, a hobby, joining a gym, etc.

K1

02-02-2015 Package Sent by Express Mail

06-15-2015 Interview: APPROVED :dancing:

07-01-2015 Visa in Hand

09-06-2015 POE

10-09-2015 Wedding (L):wub:

----------------------------------------------------------

AOS

11-09-2015 AOS, EAD & AP Sent by Express Mail (Dearborn Address)

11-19-2015 AOS, EAD & AP confirmation e-mails received

12-14-2015 Biometrics completed

01-06-2016 AOS Approved :dance:

01-11-2016 GREEN CARD in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROC

11-06-2017 Package Sent by Express Mail 

11-13-2017 NOA received

12-05-2017 Biometrics completed

08-18-2018 Copy of extension letter received

10-16-2018 Original extension letter received

Naturalization

01-26-2019 N-400 filled online

Wow.. reading these posts made me wonder how my wife would feel and adjust. She's never traveled out of her country and lived with family around her. I live in the US suburbs, and curious how she'll adjust to the suburban quiet versus the hectic pace where she's at now.

Here's to a quick driving license.. and lots of days off work.. to adjust to a new life.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Stay in USA long enough to get your US Citizenship

And them move to a new country like Panama or Philippines and live your life on beach and hire a couple helpers to do all your shopping and cooking and cleaning and enjoy the rest of your lives...

Filed: Timeline

Stay in USA long enough to get your US Citizenship

And them move to a new country like Panama or Philippines and live your life on beach and hire a couple helpers to do all your shopping and cooking and cleaning and enjoy the rest of your lives...

It is not easy to make a good wage in Panama or the Phillippines.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. My husband certainly knows how I feel, we are communicating, and he is saying the same thing, to stay positive and to take one day at a time.

We have found a gym to join and we went walking in a metropark yesterday (trees and a big LAKE, it felt like heaven!) so that made me feel better. Even going to the local commissary and BX reminded me of home lol. I will probably start driving once our car has arrived from Germany (one advantage, I don't have get used to driving on the 'wrong' side of the car and the road), we should have that by beginning of August. I think I will feel a lot better once our furniture and all my home comforts arrive too. It's the little things! There is a small ski resort a drive away so that has cheered me up too! :-)

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Very normal and I think we all tend to underestimate such a big move. I know I did....about a month or 2 in I was a crying, depressed mess on a daily basis. I did need to get out and do things for myself although I couldn't see it then. I couldn't drive but walking to Starbucks to grab a coffee and reading or perusing the interwebs on my phone felt good (the exercise didn't hurt either). Finding a salon and getting my first haircut (sounds lame I know) made me feel pretty good too.

I felt annoyed at EVERYTHING - I hated the medical system and having to fill out so much paperwork at the new doctors, I hated grocery shopping because I didn't know where everything was, I hated that the food tasted different... I had quite the list.

I would say it took me until I had a job to start feeling normal and if a job isn;t in the cards for you then volunteering or getting out regularly might be your goal - you may find now your husband is your entire world...which si great but its ok to want other human contact. Any meetups in the area for other Brits?

Hello

I can't quite believe I am writing this but anyway....

I arrived not less than a week ago and already I feel very homesick.

I don't know why but I feel trapped and claustrophobic. I made a big move from the UK to Germany almost two years ago and I adjusted well, even though I had hardly spent any time there previously. I spent my life in the UK by the coast and the countryside and in Germany the countryside and I was able to drive home to the UK pretty much whenever I wanted. There is no sea or countryside here, I can't go for a walk into town, sit at a street café, go to a park. The strange thing is I have been to the US many times and have spent long periods of time here so know how everything is/works but now everything seems so different. I realise that this is not a holiday but I never expected to feel like this at all.

I'm beginning to feel like I've made a mistake coming here and I don't know what to do.

Has anybody else felt like this after such a short time in the US?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It will happen and you can't always prepare but at least know it will happen and you can be very compassionate and not take everything he may say personally...its an adjustment period which is different for everyone.

OP, I am hoping to avoid that in my fiance when he comes. It's such a big change and so overwhelming too. I am hoping to have over a week off from work so I can be here with him initially, but I wonder if the move will finally hit him once he's alone. We can do all sorts of fun and interesting things in my city, but once everyday life starts happening, then what? How do I make him feel more comfortable? I'm hoping he will be able to find his own friends and that he will soon learn to drive to gain more personal freedom.

One thing I'm hoping for is for him to pick up his classes again within a few months of his arrival. Do you think that may help you? Maybe if you can see if there is a college course (credit or non-credit) that you can take for photography, painting, swimming or anything else that interests you? Have you looked at Meetup.com? You may be able to find some local groups that interest you too. At least you can get out and find some different people to talk to, that may help your melancholy?

I don't think there is anything wrong with how you are feeling; I think it's natural. Just keep trying to see how you can cope. Your posts interests me a great deal and I hope you get some great advice that helps you out!!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In the left sidebar of your profile, it says that you're from Macomb.

A quick Google search yielded this: http://www.makemacombyourhome.com/

You can also look at surrounding cities and counties for things to do and see.

Mrs. T-B. had been to the U.S. before and knew a lot of what to expect, but she was incredibly homesick shortly after arrival. It didn't help that her #2 sister (with whom she's like glue) nearly died in childbirth. Mrs. T-B. needed some Spanish-speaking people to associate with, so I dropped her at a Spanish-language church service. She came out bubbling with excitement and with several new acquaintances.

Whether you're religious or not, call around to find churches with immigrant populations. Even if you go to one without a pronounced immigrant population, you'll meet quality people whom you can befriend.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is not easy to make a good wage in Panama or the Phillippines.

The husband is retired US Army, I would assume they are not going to work at all.

In the left sidebar of your profile, it says that you're from Macomb.

A quick Google search yielded this: http://www.makemacombyourhome.com/

You can also look at surrounding cities and counties for things to do and see.

Mrs. T-B. had been to the U.S. before and knew a lot of what to expect, but she was incredibly homesick shortly after arrival. It didn't help that her #2 sister (with whom she's like glue) nearly died in childbirth. Mrs. T-B. needed some Spanish-speaking people to associate with, so I dropped her at a Spanish-language church service. She came out bubbling with excitement and with several new acquaintances.

Whether you're religious or not, call around to find churches with immigrant populations. Even if you go to one without a pronounced immigrant population, you'll meet quality people whom you can befriend.

Thank you for the link!

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

Hello

I can't quite believe I am writing this but anyway....

I arrived not less than a week ago and already I feel very homesick.

I don't know why but I feel trapped and claustrophobic. I made a big move from the UK to Germany almost two years ago and I adjusted well, even though I had hardly spent any time there previously. I spent my life in the UK by the coast and the countryside and in Germany the countryside and I was able to drive home to the UK pretty much whenever I wanted. There is no sea or countryside here, I can't go for a walk into town, sit at a street café, go to a park. The strange thing is I have been to the US many times and have spent long periods of time here so know how everything is/works but now everything seems so different. I realise that this is not a holiday but I never expected to feel like this at all.

I'm beginning to feel like I've made a mistake coming here and I don't know what to do.

Has anybody else felt like this after such a short time in the US?

I also felt very homesick and afraid after I first moved here, even though I've visited before on holiday multiple times. I very quickly missed being able to jump on a bus and go to the shops to buy English junk food and I also really miss my friends who I will likely not see for a good few years (if ever again) depending on if I can get enough money and/or time off my future job.

If I'm honest, I felt like I made a huge mistake moving here too, at first. I was so looking forward to it, then when I got here I was so overwhelmed I wanted nothing more than to get on the first plane back to London so I could go back to my old job, my old friends, my old life... (apart from living with my parents which was driving me slowly insane :D). It's really funny because I was so desperate to get here and really detested England, but now I can't believe I ever hated it. I love America a lot, but I also realise now that I love England too.

Recently though, I've accepted that I'm here to stay now. I've been learning to drive with my husband teaching me, and finally all the hard work paid off yesterday when I passed my test. I never finished learning to drive in the UK, so this is a big step up for me and it means I've made progress since moving here. Going out in my husband's car alone has made me feel less trapped, more independent like a woman my age should be, and it can only get better once I get my own car.

I say stick it out at least for a few months. Get a job, get a car (if you don't already have one) and get yourself outside. Being cooped up makes you depressed and you concentrate too much on negative thoughts. If you're having trouble finding work, don't let it get to you too much. As long as you have a roof over your head and bills paid, you have some leeway to get used to living on the other side of the world while trying to build a new life for yourself.

I didn't read the second page of this thread so I'm sorry if stuff I suggested is stuff you've already done or is irrelevant.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I moved over from the UK just over 3 weeks ago and found for me the loss of identity strange. We all build an identity based on what we do and who we interact with. To suddenly have that removed was unsettling.

For me, hiring a car for a month has been a god-send as I have not only gained driving experience but also been able to drive myself to apply for a SS number, grocery store and various DIY shops. Opening a checking account yesterday and applying for a Credit card also is making me feel normal and that "I got this" I am skyping family once a week and so far am not feeling homesick; although am overjoyed when I find some of my home comforts over here!

Under NC law I can drive on my UK license for 60 days, so will probably hire a car for another month. I am going to join a gym next week so am trying to keep the flow going. I work in IT as a career so will be doing some home study to increase my skills.

I have already decided to accept I will not feel completely at ease for at least 12 months, possibly longer and so am able to let thoughts of uncertainty flow like eddies in a stream, although I do have the occasional worry session which is hard to shake.

I wish you well and am pleased you have found your park Oasis. Take each day as it comes and accept the feelings of being homesick are completely normal.

Hi

Your post just about nails how I feel to a tee and I'm glad (well not 'glad' but you know what I mean lol) that I am not the only one feeling like this.

I've had a few good days this week and all these kind comments have made me feel a lot better and that I'm completely normal!

Congrats on passing your driving test!! We have the use of a car so we get out most days (Ted 2 this afternoon so looking forward to that), ours will be arriving from around 6 August. Having driven in Germany for a while at least I don't have that added confusion of driving on the 'wrong' side of the car and the road!!

I also felt very homesick and afraid after I first moved here, even though I've visited before on holiday multiple times. I very quickly missed being able to jump on a bus and go to the shops to buy English junk food and I also really miss my friends who I will likely not see for a good few years (if ever again) depending on if I can get enough money and/or time off my future job.

If I'm honest, I felt like I made a huge mistake moving here too, at first. I was so looking forward to it, then when I got here I was so overwhelmed I wanted nothing more than to get on the first plane back to London so I could go back to my old job, my old friends, my old life... (apart from living with my parents which was driving me slowly insane :D). It's really funny because I was so desperate to get here and really detested England, but now I can't believe I ever hated it. I love America a lot, but I also realise now that I love England too.

Recently though, I've accepted that I'm here to stay now. I've been learning to drive with my husband teaching me, and finally all the hard work paid off yesterday when I passed my test. I never finished learning to drive in the UK, so this is a big step up for me and it means I've made progress since moving here. Going out in my husband's car alone has made me feel less trapped, more independent like a woman my age should be, and it can only get better once I get my own car.

I say stick it out at least for a few months. Get a job, get a car (if you don't already have one) and get yourself outside. Being cooped up makes you depressed and you concentrate too much on negative thoughts. If you're having trouble finding work, don't let it get to you too much. As long as you have a roof over your head and bills paid, you have some leeway to get used to living on the other side of the world while trying to build a new life for yourself.

I didn't read the second page of this thread so I'm sorry if stuff I suggested is stuff you've already done or is irrelevant.

03.03.15 - Medical

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

Hi

Thanks for responding!

I too joined a gym this week so have been getting out and about. My SSN hasn't arrived yet (I asked for one on my visa app) so haven't been able to open a bank account. I have my eye on a few local jobs working with animals so hopefully I can get to apply for those soon.

I've also found Marmite and Ribena and other home goodies in the British section of my local Meijer supermarket so I am super happy about that!

I just need to keep positive.

Good luck!

I moved over from the UK just over 3 weeks ago and found for me the loss of identity strange. We all build an identity based on what we do and who we interact with. To suddenly have that removed was unsettling.

For me, hiring a car for a month has been a god-send as I have not only gained driving experience but also been able to drive myself to apply for a SS number, grocery store and various DIY shops. Opening a checking account yesterday and applying for a Credit card also is making me feel normal and that "I got this" I am skyping family once a week and so far am not feeling homesick; although am overjoyed when I find some of my home comforts over here!

Under NC law I can drive on my UK license for 60 days, so will probably hire a car for another month. I am going to join a gym next week so am trying to keep the flow going. I work in IT as a career so will be doing some home study to increase my skills.

I have already decided to accept I will not feel completely at ease for at least 12 months, possibly longer and so am able to let thoughts of uncertainty flow like eddies in a stream, although I do have the occasional worry session which is hard to shake.

I wish you well and am pleased you have found your park Oasis. Take each day as it comes and accept the feelings of being homesick are completely normal.

03.03.15 - Medical

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.