smferguson16

Very complicated situation

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have no idea how this will be received here, I guess I'm looking for some advice.

I married my husband over two years ago. Applied for his green card, received the conditional residency. Anyways, he became extremely abusive. I mean like, breaking my nose, sexually assaulting me..abusive. I had him move out over a year ago when he broke my nose in front of our child. He had already had a girlfriend while he was still living with me. Anyways, he moved back to his home country with new girlfriend last July. Barely any contact with his son, no child support. Real winner I picked. His conditional green card ran out in April. I thought I was in the clear. He just returned for a surprise 'visit' 2 weeks ago. Although, I figured it was more than a visit, I was hoping not. Today he told me that he isn't leaving, and instead going to attempt to gain permanent residency using the expired conditional one, by writing a letter to the center while filing the divorce waiver (even though we're not divorced as I haven't been able to get him to sign papers for almost 6 months now). My question is, do they consult me at all about why he didn't file? I know it says extraordinary circumstances, but he doesn't have any. Just that he was living the life with his gf and now she has to come back here as she's a US citizen. I have police records, medical records, pictures of the abuse and mental treatment center stays for him, and destruction of property...Can I call someone and speak to them? I am worried he will make up a story and they won't check if it was true with me and then he'll get permanent residency. I have all the proof in the world. But I don't know if they even check with me to see what happened. He's currently in the states on a VWP. I'd appreciate any help or information you could give. Sorry if it's all thrown together. I'm pretty shaken up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits from Removal of Conditions. - As similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If his GF is a USC that would be a more logical option.

His process has nothing to do with you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I know, it would be a more logical option for him to do it with his gf. But he's using the green card obtained through our marriage. The expired conditional residency to try to now change it to permanent.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

He has an expired conditional residency through our marriage, which I am the sponsor. He has returned after a year to now try to remove the conditions on that to make it a permanent residency. He isn't interested in doing it by divorcing me and marrying her.

Edited by smferguson16

Timeline

I can see a number of hurdles to overcome, biggest in my mind is entering on the VWP after being out for a year.

Sounds like he needs the divorce whatever route he chooses.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Make an Infopass appointment at your nearest USCIS office and tell your story. That's likely all that you can do.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

It expired this April 2015. He's been gone since June 2014. I was just wondering if they even check up on the story he tells them. Surely they wouldn't give a permanent residency to someone who has recorded evidence of domestic abuse and homicidal psychotic breaks. But I have no idea. Thanks.

Timeline

Criminal Conviction for DV I though would stop him using the VWP?

Timeline

There is a warrant out for his arrest?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.